U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,858,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But like others mentioned, Chicagoans, and maybe midwesterners in general almost take pride in their pragmatism, fast pace, no time for romance. Its not that Chicago doesn't have romantic potential, its really more that they take pride in the fact that a bar crawl after a ball game is romantic. And, it very well maybe. Its the actual atmosphere, where it is almost discouraged as evidence by some of the posts here.
I think there is a lot that goes far beyond any regional attitudes. So much of what is promoted as being romantic is just that - promoted. Promoted by tourism agencies, hotels, etc. That makes many of the "romantic" things seem canned and cliched. It's like they're created by marketers for people who can't figure out anything that is personally romantic for them and need a list to tell them what to do.

The writer of the article completely bought into the marketing of "romantic" things without question. Take the Signature Room as an example. In Boston the equivalent is the Top of the Hub - and the majority of Bostonians would respond to that in the same way Chicagoans in the article respond to the Signature Room. In San Francisco most residents don't consider the fog or Golden Gate Bridge to be romantic - they're traffic concerns more than anything. I think the article completely misses the difference between tourists and locals, as well as changing ideas of what constitutes "romantic".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 10:51 AM

8,279 posts, read 11,129,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's hard to be romantic when you're butchering hogs, stacking wheat and playing with railroads.
Especially when you're impersonating Carl Sandburg, because it's hard to be romantic when you're.....dead.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:31 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,191,039 times
Obviously it's people who inspire romantic feelings, and things/cities/places are just a sideshow, but some places are certainly more conducive than others. In my experience, the Rocky Mountains = highly conducive. Washington, DC = not so conducive.

Chicago? I don't even know. I'm so un-romantic at this point that I wouldn't even see it.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 PM

381 posts, read 800,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I've been all over the globe. The grass is rarely greener... usually compared to Chicago, the grass is not even there. It's just dirt.

Hahaha! More like concrete and puddles.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:56 PM

8,222 posts, read 21,849,556 times
You should meet my uncle Gino, he could charm the paint of the walls.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:17 PM

4,058 posts, read 6,798,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
But like others mentioned, Chicagoans, and maybe midwesterners in general almost take pride in their pragmatism, fast pace, no time for romance.
Bah. I've been a Midwesterner all my life, and IMHO pragmatism will only take one so far, and as for a "fast pace", well, that can actually degrade one's overall quality of life, in some aspects at least. (Not that I think the Midwest outside of Chicago is really all that fast-paced for the most part... I personally don't find it to be so.)

Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM

278 posts, read 608,389 times
Funny, considering this month the CTA was named by craigslist as being the most romantic transit system in America, particularly the brown line. They based it off of their "Missed Encounters" section.

When I moved to Chicago last year, I definitely noticed one thing much different than the west coast: people in Chicago check each other out way more than anywhere else I've ever lived. I mean, eye ****ing (or shall I say intercourse since they'll beep out my profanity) is very prominent in this city. I've come to enjoy it.

I think the article is BS and see absolutely nothing unromantic about Chicago.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM

2,298 posts, read 5,888,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Especially when you're impersonating Carl Sandburg, because it's hard to be romantic when you're.....dead.
Zombies can be very erotic you know.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:07 PM

124 posts, read 358,473 times
Everyone's getting frosted over an article from....February of 2010? Slow day on CD, eh?

As for the general premise of this nearly 15 month old article, I'll light some candles while you kiss my ass. Romantic enough for ya?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,191,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDurden View Post
When I moved to Chicago last year, I definitely noticed one thing much different than the west coast: people in Chicago check each other out way more than anywhere else I've ever lived. I mean, eye ****ing (or shall I say intercourse since they'll beep out my profanity) is very prominent in this city. I've come to enjoy it.
It believe it should go without saying that sexual energy/eye-4u(king is not quite the same thing as romance. heh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago