Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,672,531 times

Advertisements

No Stanley, you put the potato in the FRONT of your Speedos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 PM

2,299 posts, read 6,158,988 times
It's hard to be romantic when you're butchering hogs, stacking wheat and playing with railroads.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:02 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,770,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Tex asks a lot of questions.
Me thinks someone has the grass is greener on the other side syndrome.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:37 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,634,912 times
I think it's more endemic to the midwest. That isn't a slight; I've very often admitted to being one of the least romantic people on earth.

We're a people who are very, very hard working. We're always trying to get from Point A to Point B as quickly as possible. As for the Younger Coldwine, she didn't have the time or the interest for romance. Her love life had an agenda and it was GO GO GO!

Also, I find the idea of romance to be fundamentally stupid. Romance is in every way the notion that the rules of life change suddenly, or that life becomes different in some manner or (and this is what bothers me the most) that you should somehow feel differently just because you're being treated "romantically". It's almost like grown up make believe, and I was far too pragmatic a person to buy into that nonsense.

As for the rest of this godforsaken country, I fail to see exactly what standard we Chicagoans do not live up to. Here in California the dream you're supposed to buy into involves sunsets, fast cars, true love and other Hollywood schlok. I'm not buying into that BS now or ever. And what exactly is supposed to be romantic about the desolate middle or southern portions? How romantic is being taken for a spin to a steakhouse in a pickup truck?

My husband is a Europeanized Brazilian, and he despairs of me ever learning to appreciate romance. I just want him to stop calling me a dozen times every goddamn day, and if I ever find rose petals on my floor again I'm going to strangle him to death.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,182,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post

Also, I find the idea of romance to be fundamentally stupid. Romance is in every way the notion that the rules of life change suddenly, or that life becomes different in some manner or (and this is what bothers me the most) that you should somehow feel differently just because you're being treated "romantically". It's almost like grown up make believe, and I was far too pragmatic a person to buy into that nonsense.
Yep. I actually consider myself to be romantic, but not some BS cliched romantic. My wife and I just spent our anniversary doing an 8 mile pub crawl to a Sox game and to both of us it was very romantic. We got a chance to relax with some beers, talk to each other uninterrupted all day (a valuable thing when you have a kid), and meet some great people. That combined with a couple great meals together made for the most romantic anniversary either of us can think of.

What I find so idiotic about that article is how cliched it is. The Signature Room at the Hancock?!?! That is what a high school student considers romantic for a prom date, not what a couple that really knows each other considers romantic. I'm surprised they didn't include carriage rides in it ('cause nothing is more romantic than sitting behind a thousand pound flatulent animal). I can't even believe they brought up Geja's. Overpriced fondue at a place that hasn't been updated (and possibly cleaned) since the 70's is supposed to be "romantic"?

Previous posters have also brought up an important point - romantic compared to what? Compared to Paris Chicago may not be Romantic, but how about compared to Houston, Charlotte, Indianapolis, Phoenix, etc. ?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 PM

3,491 posts, read 3,110,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No Stanley, you put the potato in the FRONT of your Speedos.
Duly noted.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:13 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,770,130 times
Love is when she spits her loogie out in order to get the full flavor of her old style.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 2,815 times
Who frickin' cares?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,264,771 times
This sounds like the same author who wrote the "I Hate Chicago" Bull S***.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:19 PM

381 posts, read 838,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
My husband is a Europeanized Brazilian, and he despairs of me ever learning to appreciate romance. I just want him to stop calling me a dozen times every goddamn day, and if I ever find rose petals on my floor again I'm going to strangle him to death.
Try to appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago