Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:44 AM

9 posts, read 20,826 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving out of Schaumburg (where my work is) and living much closer to the city. Living closer to a MD-W metra line would at least not lengthen an already long commute. What are some good/safe areas to live within walking/cycling distance of MD-W metra stations (like Western Ave, Grand/Cicero or Union station) ? My biggest constraint is budget (around $800, but a bit flexible upwards if absolutely necessary).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 AM

258 posts, read 760,413 times
Well, Smith Park/Ukrainian Village come to mind, just north of the Western station.

Have you figured out how you'll get from the Schaumburg station to work?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Well, Smith Park/Ukrainian Village come to mind, just north of the Western station.

Have you figured out how you'll get from the Schaumburg station to work?
Thanks. I've three options in mind. First is, I'm planning on leaving my car at the Schaumburg metra. I have done that a few times over weekends without problem. Then, there is also a Pace bus that goes all the way to my workplace. Or, since I can take my bike on the Metra, I could always just bike the 5.7 miles to work.

Living so far out in the suburbs fresh out of college (in the east coast) has been miserable, especially after the excitement of having a job and spending money waned within a few months.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Careful, not all outbound AM trains stop at Grand/Cicero. They all stop at Western and at Union Station.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Is your workplace closer to the Milwaukee West Line or the Union Pacific Northwest line?

Old 07-05-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Is your workplace closer to the Milwaukee West Line or the Union Pacific Northwest line?
I only just realized that the Palatine station that UP-NW towards Harvard services is actually closer to my workplace! Thanks. So I could live in Clybourn or Irving park too.

And thanks for the tip, pvande55!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
This is a good thing in a couple different ways. The UP-NW is generally more reliable than the Milwaukee West line. Plus, now you have more choices within the city. There are many folks from the Bucktown / Wicker Park and west Lincoln Park areas that utilize that Clybourn stop. And of course Irving Park is a legit city stop in itself and you'd probably find some cheaper rents out there but still not be too far from the rest of the city. At Jefferson Park, the UP-NW and the CTA Blue Line trains are practically connected as well. Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin56 View Post
I only just realized that the Palatine station that UP-NW towards Harvard services is actually closer to my workplace! Thanks. So I could live in Clybourn or Irving park too.

And thanks for the tip, pvande55!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 AM

279 posts, read 759,966 times
I would just look at something right by Union Station / Ogilvie Station, unless you absolutely don't want to live in a highrise or midrise loft style building. This would give you more flexibility to use either train depending on your schedule and preference. Also every single run of either train will stop there while not all will stop at all of the other stations closer to downtown, especially if it's an express.

Yes, the West Loop between the river and the freeway is generally pretty dead and sterile, but it's really not bad at all in the northern edge near the Clinton Green Line station and Fulton Market or in the area west of the freeway.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAndBlue View Post
I would just look at something right by Union Station / Ogilvie Station, unless you absolutely don't want to live in a highrise or midrise loft style building.
Good luck getting a decent place on an $800 budget around there.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:08 PM

279 posts, read 759,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Good luck getting a decent place on an $800 budget around there.
Good point. Didn't notice that when I wrote my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago