Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:20 AM

60 posts, read 123,369 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First of all, let me congratulate you guys on an amazing city in Chicago. We just got back from visiting Chicago and we are very impressed. In fact, I am so impressed to the point that I want to move there.

During the trip, I checked out the following highrise apartments:

Aqua
The Tides
Shoreham
Streeter Place

They all look very good and I would appreciate if any of you can give me some feedback on any of those buildings. Obviously Aqua, Tides and Shoreham are in the same proximity while Streeter Place is on the other side of the river. While I love the park that anchors Aqua, Tides and Shoreham, Streeter Place seems to be closer to restaurants.

The rents between them aren't that different which actually makes it harder for me to decide (although Streeter is the most expensive of them all) and I only checked them out as a first time visitor so I'm sure there are things that real Chicagoans can tell me.

Thanks!

Last edited by sj_faithful; 07-06-2011 at 04:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
I don't know anything about the others but Aqua has probably the most amenities of any apartment complex in the world. Check out the web site.

Streeter Place is definitely a great location. Those are two really different neighborhoods. If you live in Streeter Place you'll be in the very center of downtown. It's like living in a hotel in that sense. It can be pretty thrilling if you've never done it before. You can't get more central than that.

The other buildings would be just that much more removed and icy. I think you would still have pretty convenient access to grocery stores, etc.

The question is if you want to have the feeling of literally waking up and stepping out into midtown Manhattan or if you want something a little calmer. And the individual buildings, etc.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
The question is if you want to have the feeling of literally waking up and stepping out into midtown Manhattan or if you want something a little calmer. And the individual buildings, etc.
And the other question I would have relate to what you plan to do here.

Are you a retiree?
If of working age, what is your career and what kind of hours would you expect to keep?
Kids?
How important are amenities like restaurants, cleaners, large grocery store, retail, a bar or pub or two in proximity to your place?

I guess what I'm getting at is that a lot of people come here and fall in love with the idea of living in the city in a highrise overlooking the lake. When they get here, they realize that while the view is great, the neighborhood at sidewalk level isn't really what they were looking for.

All of the places mentioned are nice, but is the neighborhood a good fit?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:46 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Wow, I like it a lot here, but I never imagined a trip would induce one to move. Where you coming from?

Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Hi,

Thanks for both of your posts so far! From the sound of it both neighborhoods seem to be nice and safe and it all comes down to what I want.

Here is a little background about myself. I am a 30 years old single male. I have a dog and it is important that I can walk my dog easily. I work from home so my hours are flexible but it can be demanding at times when I have deadlines to meet. A grocery store is very important to me as well and that is where Streeter excels; it has Dominick's and Fox & Obel within 2 blocks. Although a new market is opening up soon in the retail space right next to Aqua this September according to the leasing people so that might be a toss-up.

A good gym is very important too and both Aqua and Streeter seem to have enough machines/wegihts to do a complete workout. I did see a gym next to Streeter (I don't remember the name exactly but it was party of Bally Fitness) but I don't know how good it is and how much will that cost me.

As for access to restaurants and bars, it would be great but they don't have to be downstairs literally. As long as they are withing walking distance I think I am fine with it.

I have never lived in a city before so what I think I want right now might not be what I really want after I have lived in one for a while. I am hoping this move will be a correct decision for me as I want to experience city life much more.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM

I am from San Francisco Bay Area. The rent is outrageous here I just can't justify paying rent in SF when I can get more for less money in Chicago. Although the winter does worry me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wow, I like it a lot here, but I never imagined a trip would induce one to move. Where you coming from?

Last edited by sj_faithful; 07-06-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 11:10 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_faithful View Post
I am from San Francisco Bay Area. The rent is courageous here I just can't justify paying rent in SF when I can get more for less money in Chicago. Although the winter does worry me...
You'll save a lot on rent here

Winter can tough, especially if you're not used to it. I like it though.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 AM

279 posts, read 759,712 times
Between all of these, it comes down to the neighborhood - Streeterville or Lakeshore East. The apartment buildings themselves are all pretty similar and will provide you with a higher-end apartment and nice amenities. I think all have an outdoor pool, fitness center, etc., but Aqua certainly has the nicest pool area.

Lakeshore East is nice, but pretty quiet and isolated from the rest of downtown. It's great for families with young kids because of the park and you have very easy lakefront access. There's a dog park in the park too. However, other than the new grocery opening soon, a CVS, and one coffee shop, there is nothing over there. Going to bars, restaurants, shopping, or public transit is a looong hike from there and will really suck in the winter.
Streeterville has a lot more of that kind of stuff to do right in the area, and it's much easier to get to the rest of the city from there. There's a new park right across McClurg from the Streeter as well, and I think it also has a dog run in it.

I would probably pick between the Aqua and Streeter, depending on how much you value the building amenities and walking distance to things to do.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM

6 posts, read 8,534 times
I've lived in Lakeshore East (though not in any of those buildings) and in The Streeter (which is the identical building across the driveway from Streeter Place).

I am still undecided about which area I like more. The seclusion and park over at Lakeshore East is nice, but after 8pm things die down a lot. Also, it was a little more difficult to have friends visit because parking is so expensive and it's so far from the trains.

Streeter place would have some similar problems with visitors. I would disagree that it's like midtown manhattan, though. It's relatively secluded from the hustle and bustle. There is a grocery store similarly close(albeit, from the sound of things, the Lakeshore East one will be better). I liked the restaurants that are close and the access to Michigan Ave. and the lake/beaches. Parking was (somehow) much cheaper in Streeterville. I think that apts were a little bigger in those two buildings as well.

I'd say that the apartments are pretty similar as far as amenities (keeping in mind the relative age of each building, which isn't that much different).

In all, I think it does depend on what you're here for, because to me, they are on pretty even keel. If you are here with kids, I would recommend LSE. If you are young and want to be close to things you can do at night and weekends, I'd go with Streeter Place.

***One more caveat with Aqua--keep in mind that you will be sharing space and amenities with hotel patrons. That was a turnoff for me

Old 07-06-2011, 11:45 AM

491 posts, read 1,120,951 times
OooOoOoOo my bad I had the location of Streeter Place wrong, I was misled by the Google machine and not reading carefully enough.

I thought it was on the other side of MI near State and Erie-ish.

Yeah...that location in Streeterville will probably not be a heck of a lot different than the Lakeshore East one. Both are pretty quiet and relatively serene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: