U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,552 times

Advertisements

My husband and have found a great condo to buy near North and California...but how's the neighborhood? Is it "changing" for the better? We are coming from the West Loop so we know it will be different, but anything we should be aware of before buying?

Any input is appreciated.

Last edited by hwoods; 07-07-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:19 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,401,441 times
Too far south of the California blue line and too far west of the Damen blue line for my liking. If I'm looking west of Western, i want to be north of Armitage. It's not the worst area and rather stagnant (as most of the city is now), but the distance from transit hurts it's prospects.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:33 PM

491 posts, read 1,055,448 times
I'm far from an expert. Was down in that area the other day and just west of there it started to look pretty rough.

I'm not a realty expert either but I would imagine if you buy there you won't see much of a rise in value in the next few years given the current economy and may not be able to unload it at all.

Gentrification seems to have come to a standstill at the moment. Some friends of mine who bought in HP over the last few years feel pretty much stuck with their properties.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:30 PM

312 posts, read 673,940 times
We lived just West of there and have since moved. It's pretty boring and you have to rely on the #72 North Avenue bus (or the California bus) to get anywhere. There are some nice restaurants popping up around Armitage and California but that's kind of a walk esp. when the weather's bad.

Are you all moving into that brand new condo bld on the NW corner? Not to sound stalker-ish, I just noticed it being built last time we were around there, which was a while ago.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM

14,376 posts, read 15,877,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
We lived just West of there and have since moved. It's pretty boring and you have to rely on the #72 North Avenue bus (or the California bus) to get anywhere. There are some nice restaurants popping up around Armitage and California but that's kind of a walk esp. when the weather's bad.

Are you all moving into that brand new condo bld on the NW corner? Not to sound stalker-ish, I just noticed it being built last time we were around there, which was a while ago.

A new condo building? Wow, I'm surprised.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 PM

What is your problem? Are you one of the hall monitors here?

Condos aren't exactly springing up in that area, smart ass.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole69 View Post
What is your problem? Are you one of the hall monitors here?

Condos aren't exactly springing up in that area, smart ass.
Sorry, I was genuinely surprised that a new condo building was going up there. I view it as a good thing.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 PM

My mistake then; apologies for misreading. I was just as surprised. The condo bldg I'm thinking of is one of several going up around the north side owned by the same company. I think there's also a bldg on Division, and/or Armitage.

I thought California and North was a weird place for it. Western and North? Sure. But California and North?

Old 07-08-2011, 12:40 PM

No problem. Intent and tone are hard to pass through on the interwebs.

I may have to drive by the area, sounds like things may be picking up if the condo developers are back at it.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 PM

2,875 posts, read 2,649,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
No problem. Intent and tone are hard to pass through on the interwebs.

I may have to drive by the area, sounds like things may be picking up if the condo developers are back at it.
I wouldn't read too deeply into that. Development and construction of that building started at least 3-4 years ago, before the housing market really took a dump. It took them forever to finish it (Which leads me to believe there was some problems with the financing, or even a changing of hands) Anyways, it finally did get done, and it looks like the lot next to it is being cleared for something (Perhaps a second phase of the development(?)) but that appears to have stalled for the time being.

I am heartened by any progress/development that pushes westward, believe me, but this building shouldn't be seen as a vanguard of anything new. Gotta say, though, when that corner eventually turns, it's gonna be prime property, especially with those gorgeous park views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>