Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,908,504 times

Advertisements

Basically I think you can live anywhere you want. I'd put a nix on West Chicago....no reason to live there. I think you could look to any of the western suburbs, Naperville is a nice place, Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Downers Grove, or go to the north suburbs too. A lot depends on the kind of schools, churches or houses you want. For example in Oak Park probably an older home. I'm not feeling Oak Park for you for some reason....or even Evanston. If you are looking for a more modern four bedroom home with a large family room, I'd stay away from these suburbs charming as they may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,625,425 times
Not sure the OP said anything about a "modern" home. They might actually like character in a home, which is hard to find in new construction.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,041,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Like someone else suggested upthread, if you have the means to support the upper-middle-class lifestyle and you follow the basic social norms, nobody will care that your husband's melanin takes on a slightly darker tint.
But snobby people will care if your culture isn't the same as theirs. Imagine an upper middle class Hispanic man who is articulate in the English language going home after work and speaking Spanish to his family.. oh my! There goes the neighborhood.

Last edited by urza216; 07-08-2011 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,273,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winecountry12 View Post
Hello
My husband will be relocating with his job to Chicago from LA, we are looking at various areas/suburbs Glen Ellyn/Wilmette/Evanston so on, we have a 2 yr old son. I am from the midwest and I am an all american girl so to speak but my husband is half mexican and half guatamalan.

We are an upper middle class and educated family wanting a family oriented and safe suburban area where we will rent for one year before we decide to buy a home. We currently live in Newport Beach.

Are the towns or suburbs mentioned above would they be welcoming to a hispanic male .....or are there any other towns you suggest I look in to, we want easy access to city. Coming from LA it is so diverse this is not an issue but I was curious about Chicago.

Thanks for your input.
West Chicago doesn't sound like your cup of tea. If you want to live in the Western suburbs, I would suggest Hinsdale, Wheaton, or Naperville.

If not the Western suburbs, then the North Shore and Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth, or Lake Forest.

I suggest these because there really aren't (m)any upscale Hispanic places around here. Your best bet would probably be The Western suburbs.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:25 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
But snobby people will care if your culture isn't the same as theirs. Imagine an upper middle class Hispanic man who is articulate in the English language going home after work and speaking Spanish to his family.. oh my! There goes the neighborhood.
WTF are you talking about?

Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,041,105 times
Quote:
WTF are you talking about?
I'm talking about something that happens. You know, reality and not a fantasy world.

You said folks won't care about the pigmentation in your skin. I said, yes, but people are intolerant of other cultures. And then I gave a hypothetical example.

What part of my post didn't you understand? I'm always willing to elaborate.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:37 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm talking about something that happens. You know, reality and not a fantasy world.

You said folks won't care about the pigmentation in your skin. I said, yes, but people are intolerant of other cultures. And then I gave a hypothetical example.

What part of my post didn't you understand? I'm always willing to elaborate.

It does happen in the burbs a lot. The neighborhood is "changing" etc. You'd be surprised at how homogeneous some of us white people want to be.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:44 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,056,132 times
Quote:
Where is this "rich" side of West Chicago? I realize there's a tiny sliver of newer development that's in the St. Charles school district and the former "horse farm" area along Smith Road, but that area also happens to be whiter than a French surrender flag. At that point they might as well live in one of the closer suburbs they were looking at in the first place.

A lot of the north side. Both Near smith, but also off of 59 near St. Andrews. The subdivisions along hawthorne etc. There are also a couple subdivisions near Wheaton Academy that are pretty wealthy. I had quite a few rich friends that lived in West Chicago. The per-capita income is low but it's not exactly indicative of the whole area.

I'm not try to argue that the the OP should live in West Chicago without a doubt, just that if they want hispanics and a big brick house they can get both there

Old 07-08-2011, 01:52 PM

14,801 posts, read 17,625,425 times
What is the boredom threshold for the OP?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,522 times
Thanks. I don't think skin color is a huge problem as he is very light skinned, most people think he is italian and of course he is bilingual but I don't speak spanish. To be honest we want a family friendly neighborhood that is safe with some charming shops and great amenities including a good montessori school for our son. We don't have to be around all latin american people as most of our friends aren't anyway.

We are excited about the possibility of living in Chicago and right now Wheaton, Glen Ellyn, Wilmette are probably on the tops of our list. I will check out Downers Grove too. Oak Park appeals to me in many ways but I heard there are bad neighborhoods near there and I am home alone a lot and crave safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago