Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,529 times

Advertisements

Hello
My husband will be relocating with his job to Chicago from LA, we are looking at various areas/suburbs Glen Ellyn/Wilmette/Evanston so on, we have a 2 yr old son. I am from the midwest and I am an all american girl so to speak but my husband is half mexican and half guatamalan.

We are an upper middle class and educated family wanting a family oriented and safe suburban area where we will rent for one year before we decide to buy a home. We currently live in Newport Beach.

Are the towns or suburbs mentioned above would they be welcoming to a hispanic male .....or are there any other towns you suggest I look in to, we want easy access to city. Coming from LA it is so diverse this is not an issue but I was curious about Chicago.

Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 01:15 AM

553 posts, read 1,026,673 times
They seem to be all hispanic to me.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:23 AM

427 posts, read 463,141 times
As long as you have the money to live in the town and upkeep your property, just about any suburb will do for you.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
West Chicago is about 50% hispanic and there are some upper-middle class hispanic families if that is important to you. That being said West Chicago has some nice parts, but it's not as nice as Glen Ellyn or Evanston etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Honestly this sort of question has come up before and though there are few towns with a visible / prominent upper middle class Latin American contingent neither is there any reason to seek out an area that had large numbers of lower income Hispanics. West Chicago would fall into the latter category.

I would choose any suburb that will give you the best combination of quality schools and commute options to work. If work is downtown and you can take Metra that is hard to beat. Some of the best train service in the region is on BNSF line, towns from Riverside through Naperville would compare favorably with the three towns you've listed.Similarly the schools along the BNSF are generally very well regarded. Depending on price range you might find that you get more in some towns and less in others, generally the towns where you seem to be getting "less house for the money" have offsetting pluses such as better performing schools, nicer amenities. Frankly the same factors would be encountered in most other towns such as Glen Ellyn where the prettiest homes on the quietest streets might be listed at three or four times the most modest home in a less desirable part of town.

A funny thing happens at some price points when you compare some towns like Evanston and Wilmette -- given the relative desirability of broadly likely qualities (such as schools, curb appeal, convenience) at both the high end of the price range and the lowest end Wilmette tends to represent a better value than Evanston. This may have to do with relative negatives that come with Evanston's most affordable neighborhoods, the relative desirability of higher end properties in Winnetka over Wilmette and some biases on the part of sellers in Evanston -- for those in "upper middle" end of pricing there just is a limited supply compared to the "meat" of the Wilmette market being more stratified...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM

17 posts, read 25,883 times
I would also suggest checking out Oak Park. It has great access to downtown (Metra line, El lines, and near I-290), good public schools, and is known for being being diverse and progressive.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
West Chicago is about 50% hispanic and there are some upper-middle class hispanic families if that is important to you. That being said West Chicago has some nice parts, but it's not as nice as Glen Ellyn or Evanston etc.
Recommending West Chicago to someone shopping the North Shore is like suggesting to someone who has visited a Mercedes, Audi and BMW dealer to make the Hyundai dealer his next stop.

Like someone else suggested upthread, if you have the means to support the upper-middle-class lifestyle and you follow the basic social norms, nobody will care that your husband's melanin takes on a slightly darker tint.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Recommending West Chicago to someone shopping the North Shore is like suggesting to someone who has visited a Mercedes, Audi and BMW dealer to make the Hyundai dealer his next stop.

Like someone else suggested upthread, if you have the means to support the upper-middle-class lifestyle and you follow the basic social norms, nobody will care that your husband's melanin takes on a slightly darker tint.
The north side of West Chicago is pretty rich for what it's worth and I was pretty clear that it's no Glen Ellyn

Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

Agreed. Unless OP really, really needs a lot of upper class hispanics I would go for the nice more diverse suburbs.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
The north side of West Chicago is pretty rich for what it's worth and I was pretty clear that it's no Glen Ellyn
Where is this "rich" side of West Chicago? I realize there's a tiny sliver of newer development that's in the St. Charles school district and the former "horse farm" area along Smith Road, but that area also happens to be whiter than a French surrender flag. At that point they might as well live in one of the closer suburbs they were looking at in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago