Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:44 PM

396 posts, read 925,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Folks should consider that this is a thread from a poster with relatively few posts. The poster has threads about violence in a least four US cities and on the result of illegal immigration in the US.

So, it is very appropriate to ask the poster's intent, which has not yet been stated.
So what? You know, I've noticed there are quite a few Chicago people who get defensive when someone suggests anything negative about the city.

OP, crime isn't out of control. Just stay away from the far south or west. Although over the past few months there have been crimes happening in good areas more so than before. Mostly by kids from ghetto schools that are on summer break. A majority of the shootings and murder are gang related which Chicago has plenty of.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:50 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
I can't speak for everyone, but I wouldn't say defensive; folks here are likely just tired of seeing these sort of threads over and over and over and over and over and over again, esp. when many of the past threads WERE created by members who were eventually banned. the OP isn't bringing anything new or insightful to this forum by posting this thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,112 times
I had friends in town in early May and we were out on a Tuesday night. Belmont/Clark was overrun with thugs; downtown from Division to the Hyatt Regency was kinda vacant except for some intimidating characters looking for money or being loud. When we approached the Hyatt, security made a move in front of the door and backed-off, I guess, when we looked "OK". Something is up in this town....

Old 07-11-2011, 06:29 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,755 times
Been a real quiet summer by Uptown standards and downright sleepy here in Margate Park.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atizstr8 View Post
I was browsing google for inforation about Chicago and all I kept getting was "breaking news" shooting reports. So after reading a few pages about all these shootings and murders and how some of them were so blatant and reckless I just realized that considering it's 2011 and this stuff is still happening like it did back then. I know statistically it was much worse in the 80's and 90's but still it made me think.

I think the violence is out of control and I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about it.
Have you not seen the movie gremlins? Dont feed them after dark or put water on them.....The bad people are multiplying fast, and the good people are not. Many major cities are suffering from this disease of terrible citizens terrorizing their own cities. In order to delude the presence of criminals society has to make it harder from them to multiply.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Good point... ...kinda. Chicago crime per capita is still high compared to your average small town, especially in the plains states.

But compared to other large, successful cities like Dallas, Houston, Washington, and Philadelphia, Chicago is actually safer.
Can you explain in more detail?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:07 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Can you explain in more detail?
Nope, not taking the bait.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,613 times
Default I agree with you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atizstr8 View Post
Because due to the population on the nice parts of town are low and the citys population is huge so that's why it says it is, but bad parts of Chicago currently I would say is worse then all of those citys.
You are right, however no matter how one looks at it..Many will always be offended when Chicago is being kicked on because it's home to them and it's only human to ''protect home turf"...It's easy to say Chicago isn't Detroit. Is that all some people can compare Chicago with? Chicago is dangerous compared to, Dallas and those other cities because Chicago has a bigger population than all those cities with Houston being close (and I believe will surpass Chicago in population soon).

I also believe that those who swear Chicago is safe, don't live in the very parts that newcomers to Chicago are warned to stay away from. If some from those neighborhoods (the dangerous ones) are questioned, they'd tell you Chicago is like Detroit. Poor Bus service, Shootings, Assults etc, For them it is...However if those who stay in the neighborhoods newcomers are advised to live in, will say Chicago is great, the transportation is nice, few robberies etc.

Chicago really is in a league of it's own, because the cities it is compare to are either more/less populated than it is..Houston is the only one that comes ''close'' in comparison but with Chicago having previous murder totals at 489-510, LA with 398-480 and NY with 425-475, (all average) I'd say Chicago isn't a ''war zone'' but it's dangerous!!!

BTW I've been a Chicago Chick since 1977

Old 07-11-2011, 02:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
The safest parts of town tend to be more densely populated. thanks for playing!

Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,298,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioQuebec View Post
Chicago is dangerous compared to, Dallas and those other cities because Chicago has a bigger population than all those cities with Houston being close (and I believe will surpass Chicago in population soon).
Wrong. Per capita crime rates are very similar in all three cities.

Edit: I see now that you're trying to make some other, even less logical point, lol. I won't even bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago