Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 09:48 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,207,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Makes me wonder which neighborhood is now teetering on the brink of collapse as we speak..
There are sections of the South and Southwest side that are seeing increases in crime, and some are basically just being abandoned. The areas around Chicago Lawn and Auburn Gresham are the areas that are showing signs of real trouble. At the same time Pilsen, Bronzeville and Bridgeport have significantly less crime than they did in the past, so the improvements are not just limited to the Northside.

All in all many more areas have improved than have gotten worse, which explains why the rates for many crimes are less than half of what they were in the late 80's/early 90's.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
So what are we attributing that turnaround to? Gentrification, increased rental costs in those areas, community action, etc?

While I personally think violence is out of control in Chicago, it isn't due to the newest slew of incidents. While unfortunate, they are not the worst of what's happening in Chicago and violence on the west and south sides of this city has long been out of control and poorly addressed. I think it is being examined more closely simply because it is now occuring in the "good" parts of the city.

That being said, I wonder what can be done about the issue and if the same actions that prompted change on the north side can be used in other areas.

I know there will be cultural and class differences that will make it harder for blighted areas.
What do you propose for those south and west side hoods that are out of control?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 AM

57 posts, read 66,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
So what? You know, I've noticed there are quite a few Chicago people who get defensive when someone suggests anything negative about the city.

OP, crime isn't out of control. Just stay away from the far south or west.

Although over the past few months there have been crimes happening in good areas more so than before. Mostly by kids from ghetto schools that are on summer break. A majority of the shootings and murder are gang related which Chicago has plenty of.
Crime is out of control if you feel the need to stay away from entire sections of a city.

Please stop misusing the term ghetto. What does that even mean?

And what are you basing your conclusion on? Does crime go up everywhere during the summer? Is it always lower income youth who commit crime? In general, kids with nothing to do will get into trouble. It is pretty commonly known that kids get into trouble in the hours immediately following school and during the summer.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
And what are you basing your conclusion on? Does crime go up everywhere during the summer? Is it always lower income youth who commit crime? In general, kids with nothing to do will get into trouble. It is pretty commonly known that kids get into trouble in the hours immediately following school and during the summer.
Whose fault is this?

Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odannyboi View Post
So what? You know, I've noticed there are quite a few Chicago people who get defensive when someone suggests anything negative about the city.

OP, crime isn't out of control. Just stay away from the far south or west. Although over the past few months there have been crimes happening in good areas more so than before. Mostly by kids from ghetto schools that are on summer break. A majority of the shootings and murder are gang related which Chicago has plenty of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
What do you propose for those south and west side hoods that are out of control?
I honestly don't know.

I wanna be all touchy feely and say that after school programs, job training, outreach, etc will help, but that will only help those kids that want to be helped or have parents who don't have the means but they want better.

Much of the problems in those areas do stem from poverty and the handing down of outdated/irrelevant ideologies through generations. Drugs, welfare, bad/no parenting, lack of guidance, and good old fashioned lazy/worthlessness make up for the rest.

I would start with welfare reform. If the parents don't work and receive welfare benefits, they need to perform some community service ie cleaning up the trash in the streets, assisting in the child's classroom, or be cut off. I know we don't have the balls to do that though. We need to start attaching some responsibilities to these incentive programs.

But those gang members and drug dealers should be lined up and shot once they prove incorrigible.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Whose fault is this?

Well...yours. If you are one of those parentless individuals who complain about government using your tax dollars for school improvements and after school programs. That's my kinda kidding answer.

The real answer is...it's everybody's fault. Except for mine.

Parent's first. Teach your kid and get your kid some business so he ain't breaking into my car.

Kid next. You should be old enough to find yourself some business.

Gov. Why are we cutting funding for sports programs and afterschool programs.

Community. We are complaining about the wrong things. More police presence is not a bad thing.

Really doesn't matter whose fault it is. We all suffer in the end.

Last edited by runninfree; 08-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-19-2011, 10:12 AM

There's only so much the gov can do, and this is coming from a liberal.

Parents and family are the key. Not sure what we can do about that.

I agree shoot the gangbangers, we can also legalize drugs and kill the trade.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,755 times
Quote:
free birth control and more free birth control

Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM

I agree.

The government can only do so much, but right now they are doing too much and they aren't requiring anything in return.

In order to accept government assistance, you either have to really need it or you think you're entitled to it. Those who need it ( I have) will take it and get themselves out of that situation so they don't need it anymore. Those who feel entitled will take it and teach their kids to take it and teach their grandkids to take it. They won't get off until they die or get put off. Or until the government says they have to get off their rear end and contribute to the system that they take from. Why can't we take a portion of their tax refund? Be required to file financial docs every year? Require them to volunteer at their kid's school monthly?

Throw in some requirements and I bet you they'd get off the gravy train real quick. That is the only way to get those embedded familial ideologies out.

Last edited by runninfree; 08-19-2011 at 10:21 AM.. Reason: thoughts

Old 08-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
free birth control and more free birth control
What will that solve? There already is free birth control. Do you really mean forced sterilization? For the entire population of those areas? Do you really believe that everyone in those areas is doing a bad job of raising their children and should not have them?

Please elaborate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago