Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 05:04 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,801 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.

Does anyone have anything specific to say, good or bad, about Beverly Hills Animal Hospital (10359 S Western Ave.) or Marquette Animal Hospital (4227 W 63rd St.)? We are moving soon to Beverly with 2 dogs who are both on regular meds, so we will need to hook up with a vet pretty quickly. I have been researching vets in the local(ish) area, and these 2 seem like top contenders.

Beverly Hills Animal Hospital would be just over 1 mile from our house, and reviews on Yelp for Dr. Walsh are very positive. BUT, many reviews are also very negative about her staff, and also it sounds like the most recent reviews stress how popular and overbooked Dr. Walsh has become. Also, except for one negative review, the BHAH reviews are all pretty old.

Marquette Animal Hospital would be about a 20-minute drive, but the reviews are more recent and more consistently positive.

So, we'd be VERY grateful for any input about either of these 2 vet clinics or about any other one that would be pretty easy to get to from Beverly.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 05:24 AM

Default bumping

Good morning.

I am sorry to bother everyone about this again, but if anyone has any input on this question, I'd be very interested in hearing it.

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:28 PM

132 posts, read 241,788 times
Okay, since no one has replied, I'm going to tell you what I do when I move to a new city and am faced with choosing a new vet -- I go to each clinic and interview them! I visit with the office staff, make an appointment to have a meet and greet with my dog, I find out if they're AAHA hospitals and if not, why not, I find out where the vets went to school (there's a big difference, and there can be bad vets just like there are bad doctors and lawyers), how they assign appointments (will I always be able to see "my" vet, or will I just get random doctors?), how they handle after hours emergencies, and then I ask specific questions about my dogs' medical issues and check out their ideas on antibiotics and food. Any vet worth their DVM will take the time to answer your questions, and trust me, if they don't want to talk to you before they're getting your money, they're really not going to listen after they get your money. My biggest "rule out" question is most common cancer in golden retrievers. Believe it or not, I've had a vet that didn't know. I'm not a vet, and if I'm taking my golden to a vet, I want the vet to be more informed than I am about specific breed concerns. So I don't know which of the two clinics is "best", but it seems like you care about your dogs, so maybe my interview method will work for you. It solves lots of problems up front and doesn't take that much time.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:46 AM

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this response! In the throes of packing and selling and buying, I admit I was hoping for an easy answer on the vet front. (Sigh. Chaos reigns here at the moment. . . . .) Your approach takes more initiative on my part, but I am sure it is the right thing to do if I want to feel secure about the decision. So, thank you again for laying it out and suggesting a few specifics to ask about and check on. That's very helpful.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 AM

132 posts, read 241,788 times
Glad to help! Yes, it does take a little more time, but what I've found is that it's key to have a good working relationship with your vet, and honestly, some people care a little less and some of us care a little more about just who that vet is. I have friends who think all vets are created equally, and would never think to question their vet or do their own research and ask questions. I'm of a different sort since I've been around vet students, veterinarians, clinics and have had dogs with health issues, and I am seeking excellence, compassion AND a good personality when I trust my dog to someone. So good luck with your move (it sucks, doesn't it ) and a big hug to your dogs from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago