Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Uptown is large enough with some bad parts and really good parts.

That's fine and been rehashed a hundred times. My point was simply that I don't live in some fantastic paradise hood and have found people much more friendly and neighborly than one of the above posters. Frankly i found the Chicagoans only strike up a conversation if in preperation to mug someone as insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:49 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
In my experience, there isn't much truth to this, people strike up conversations with me all the time while out walking the dog and I doubt they're sizing me up. I was also welcomed with cookies on my last move.
It's been my general experience that people are MUCH more likely to talk to you if you are walking a dog.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
Frankly i found the Chicagoans only strike up a conversation if in preperation to mug someone as insulting.
Insulting and completely false.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
But there were some definite points that are relevant. I have not spent a lot of time in the South, but my impression is that there is a lot more superficial friendliness there than here. Unless you are a regular at a store, most Chicagoans are not going to be chatting with the cashier at Jewel for example. It's my impression that that type of thing is considered good manners in the south and if you don't you're rude. I also think it's quite true that most people are a lot more straightforward up here, and you know where you stand with them. I also don't think you'll get people asking you where you go to church, which I have heard is a very common question people ask when meeting in the South. I could be ALL wrong about the south, but if true, those are some obvious differences.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
It's been my general experience that people are MUCH more likely to talk to you if you are walking a dog.

True, a cute puppy would go a long ways towards meeting people in a new city.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
Being female helps, too.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Insulting and completely false.
Especially for someone coming from Atlanta! Muggings are not going to be any more common here, unless you choose a terrible neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM

93 posts, read 443,833 times
Are you OK with the cold, cold winter?

The unfriendliness aspect is overblown. No, people will not be as cordial and chatty as in the south, but its 100x better than the east coast (NY, BOS, PHL). There are very open minded people here, and if you are too it will be easy to fall in with a good crowd.

As for cost of living, you will make more, but you will be paying more for just about everything. Especially if you live in the city proper.

There are good opportunities for health sciences related professions, as Abbott is here (albeit a bit far north). You should check out Careerbuilder or Indeed or SimplyHired to get a handle on the possibilities.

I am actually thinking about moving my family down to Atlanta next year. It was awesome being young and single in Chicago, but within the city, public schools are rough and housing is expensive. Now with two kids, I want to move to Decatur and raise some chickens and enjoy some above zero temps in February.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Guys View Post
I am actually thinking about moving my family down to Atlanta next year. It was awesome being young and single in Chicago, but within the city, public schools are rough and housing is expensive. Now with two kids, I want to move to Decatur and raise some chickens and enjoy some above zero temps in February.
Unless you have a good job opportunity, Atlanta is doing worse than Chicago. They have year over year job loss down there.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:50 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,299,079 times
Quote:
Unless you have a good job opportunity, Atlanta is doing worse than Chicago. They have year over year job loss down there.
The downside of a positive reputation, I suppose. Too many people showing up without a plan. Maybe it's good that people think Chicago is dangerous, corrupt and hopeless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: