Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:55 PM

175 posts, read 637,201 times

Advertisements

I was at the beach for the day and I came back to find a car literally parked up against my SUV. Literally the front end of this car was jammed underneath my rear bumper. My rear bumper was all scratched up, bumper dented, and paint chipped. I took pictures and got the license plate of the car as well as leaving a less than friendly note asking the person to WATCH where/how they park next time!

Is there anything I can do to file a claim at all with the city to track down this person b/c I do have their plates? I would like to fix my back bumper but don't want to pay for it myself.

I did some searching but couldn't find much. Interested to see if anyone else ran into an extreme case like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 01:18 AM

427 posts, read 463,061 times
The city will have nothing much to do with this. Your insurance company will be the main mover here. All you can do is file a police report.

Last edited by sydbarrett; 07-11-2011 at 01:40 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
I'd hand it over to your insurance company and let them track down the owner.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM

90 posts, read 246,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

This.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM

588 posts, read 1,799,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
They'll tell you to get an accident report. So go into the Police District where it happened and get an Accident Report. You should have done this same day. You do have up to 10 days to report it, after that the Officer doesn't have to take it. If you drag your feet and if your Insurance Co tells you you need the report and you don't get it done, you could be SOL.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,167,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch101 View Post
I was at the beach for the day and I came back to find a car literally parked up against my SUV. Literally the front end of this car was jammed underneath my rear bumper. My rear bumper was all scratched up, bumper dented, and paint chipped. I took pictures and got the license plate of the car as well as leaving a less than friendly note asking the person to WATCH where/how they park next time!

Is there anything I can do to file a claim at all with the city to track down this person b/c I do have their plates? I would like to fix my back bumper but don't want to pay for it myself.

I did some searching but couldn't find much. Interested to see if anyone else ran into an extreme case like this?
If it was as you describe, I'd be shocked if the driver wasn't intoxicated when they parked. I can't imagine a sober driver leaving a car parked like that.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 PM

175 posts, read 637,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
If it was as you describe, I'd be shocked if the driver wasn't intoxicated when they parked. I can't imagine a sober driver leaving a car parked like that.
No kidding! Right! Exactly as I describe - I've never seen anything like it! I've lived in Chicago before and I know parking can get tight and people can bump each other gently when trying to parallel park, but this was crazy!!!!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,483 times
Yeah, definitely get an accident report and bring the photos of the offending vehicle and your car to the police station. Your insurance co. will be the ones to make any headway on this, however, as they're the ones on the hook for this financially (past the deductible) if they can't track down the driver.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
How much you wanna bet that the other driver is telling his insurance company that some jerk in an SUV parked up on topof his car?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,564,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcjim40 View Post
They'll tell you to get an accident report. So go into the Police District where it happened and get an Accident Report. You should have done this same day.
This!!

Dude its your car....you left the scene?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago