Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:26 AM

113 posts, read 311,303 times

Advertisements

Lived in Chicago for over 4 years from about 98-02 in the Uptown area. Left in 02 because I couldn't find a job in my field. Loved living in the city. Loved the Lakefront Bike Path, the theater, the food, the ethnic neighborhoods, etc. Hated to leave. Anyway, came back this past weekend to stay with a friend and explore the city. Walked around the Loop and up Clark St through Lincoln Park/Wrigleyville. Drove around a number of the North Side ethnic neighborhoods. A few thoughts I had after my long weekend back in the city.

• The expansion of some local chains. Potbellys now seem to be just about everywhere. I only remember a few of them when I lived in town and was really surprised to see them in Andersonville and Roscoe Village. Not completely surprised as they've always been pretty popular. Also, Al's Beef has expanded tremendously and Orange used to be a breakfast spot on Clark Street and I stumbled onto at least 3 or 4 of their restaurants.
  • North Side neighborhoods don't look too different, but there seems to have been an explosion of hot dog joints, burger joints, cupcake shops and frozen yogurt places in the city over the past 10 years. I passed by Pinkberry in River North 1 night and it was a mob scene.
  • Parking privatization. I miss the days when you could park in a spot and put a quarter in the meter. I don't like the fact these new parking machines cover every neighborhood in the city. Seems like a money grab to me. Are people really paying for parking even if they're stopping in a spot for a few minutes and running into a store or two? Is it really enforced? I paid when I was in Andersonville for an hour but not at the places where I was just checking out a shop or two.
  • Gentrification of some areas, especially Uptown. Uptown has a ways to go but 10 years ago, you never would have seen people eating at outdoor cafes at Broadway and Lawrence.
  • Tolls. Tolls seem much higher. I don't remember it costing 5 bucks to go back and forth to Milwaukee on the Edens and Tri State. I certainly don't remember it costing 7 bucks to go to NW Indiana on the Skyway. Seems really pricey, not sure if this has generated much anger or complaints.
  • Overall, a great experience, would love to move back, but like most places, the city has gotten pricier to live in. The Loop and River North definitely seem livelier than what I remember, with more retail and pedestrian traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 08:35 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
I welcome Potbelly's, for the most part. I had never eaten it before I moved to Chicago. It's good to have a choice for sandwich shops, though I wonder why there aren't more mom and pop shops.

I also like how Andersonville has a frozen yogurt storefront AND ice cream shop so close together. It makes the hot summer nights outside more enjoyable.

As for feeding the meters, I don't do it unless I'm going to be out and about for a while. If I'm going to do 30 minutes or less, I usually get out of my car, scan the immediate area for meter maids, and if there are none - I go about my business. I haven't been ticketed yet.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:55 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Uptown has improved a lot. Still has a ways to go. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
The expansion of some local chains. Potbellys now seem to be just about everywhere. I only remember a few of them when I lived in town and was really surprised to see them in Andersonville and Roscoe Village. Not completely surprised as they've always been pretty popular.
You must have moved out west or something. Potbelly has expanded all the way out to the East Coast including Philly, DC, and NYC. There's over 100 of 'em now. There's a lone West Coat location in Seattle.

Regarding tolls: they doubled for those paying cash. If you have an I-Pass (basically EZ-Pass) the tolls are the same as they've been for 20 years. The one exception is the Skyway, which is not part of the Illinois Tollway system.

I lived in Andersonville the same time you lived in Uptown. The gentrification was already well underway back then, but it's much more complete now. The tarting up of Clark Street in particular has extended almost all the way down to Lawrence and to within a block or two of Ridge, whereas in the late 90s it was tightly confined to the area between Clark and Bryn Mawr. And even back then there were still a lot more "old school" shops and restaurants than there are now.

As for River North being more lively... there are tens of thousands more people living in or near downtown than there were 10 years ago. But by far the biggest transformation has been in the South Loop. It's actually a growing nightlife destination now, and there was a HUGE condo-building boom. So much so that there's now a glut of empty units, or units that were intended for sale but have been turned into rental units, etc. You can live close to downtown in a brand-new highrise for a lot less than you might imagine.

Parking privatization: it was a massive controversy. Parking rates in areas outside of downtown have quintupled so far and they're on their way to being octupled by 2013. And yes, the pay-to-park zones are enforced with impunity. On top of that, the enforcement hours have been expanded to 9pm (from 6pm), and even 24/7 in some areas. They are also enforced 365 days a year -- no more free Sundays or "meter holidays." The a-hole company running the meters now are bloody thieves. I refuse to give them a cent.

Last edited by Drover; 08-05-2011 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-05-2011, 09:56 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,939,362 times
you basically have a hard time taking a car into the city without paying something. there is no where easy to put it without fees or restrictions.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Parking enforcement probably varies by neighborhood. In River North it's pretty heavily enforced, but it wouldn't be cost-effective to enforce it that much everywhere.

During the day the Loop has always been lively. It is a little more lively at night now, although I'm not sure I'd still go so far as to use the word "lively" to describe it.

River North has a wider variety of nightlife now, and as others have pointed out it has had a pretty huge influx of people in the past 10 years. I hope it continues to get more people. From 2000 to 2010, River North as defined as bounded by the River, Chicago Ave and State Street gained 6,886 people. If you define it as stretching to Michigan Ave, an additional 1,171 moved in. That's net gain, not total population. Total population in River North (to State Street) is now 13,513. In other words, the population nearly doubled in the past 10 years. And there have been a couple new buildings completed since the census, so I think the total population now is probably over 14,000. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it gained another 5,000 by the next census, and it could add even more than that. It is going to get more and more popular now that it has the density to attract more and better services. 12 years ago, people moving into River North didn't have nearly as many businesses around within walking distance. It's still not quite Wicker Park or East Lakeview in that regard, but it now has the population density of Lakeview and is trending higher (still plenty of vacant lots to build on in River North) unlike Lakeview, which is basically stable.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM

113 posts, read 311,303 times
Interesting thoughts. In the late 90's, seems like everyone stuck to Michigan Ave in River North and the other streets were deserted. Now, there seems to be much more activity, more shops and restaurants on State Street, as well as Dearborn and Clark. Driving around other areas of the city, a few things struck me.

Montrose Avenue around Lincoln Square seems to be much busier with shops. I don't remember the Giordano's being there.

North and Clybourn, especially around Franks N Dawgs, seems to be much busier with restaurants/retail

Surprised that Uptown got a Target, but it was needed. Too bad the Borders closed but it'll be interesting to see what takes its place. Huge location.

Damen and Division in Bucktown also seems to be much livelier as well as the Milwaukee Ave corridor up through Logan Sq.

In Atlanta now, so no Potbellys down here, but we could use one. We are overloaded with Chick Fil A and Subway and Quizno.

Finally, not crazy about the Trump Tower, doesn't seem to add much architecturally to the skyline, but you can definitely see it from anywhere.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:13 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
Yes, Division near Damen has changed quite a bit, it's much more gentrified and attracts moms with $3000 strollers and frat boys to the new bars. It used to be a hip & alternative area, and there's still some of that, but that used to all there was, except the blue collar latino families and junkies. Same goes for Milwaukee Ave near North Ave. The new place where change is happening rapidly is Chicago Ave from say Ada or Noble all the way to Western, new bars, new restaurants, it's still spread out a bit, but it will be a different place give it 10 more years, more & more businesses will move in, lots of space there to fill.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,210,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Yes, Division near Damen has changed quite a bit, it's much more gentrified and attracts moms with $3000 strollers and frat boys to the new bars. It used to be a hip & alternative area, and there's still some of that, but that used to all there was, except the blue collar latino families and junkies. Same goes for Milwaukee Ave near North Ave. The new place where change is happening rapidly is Chicago Ave from say Ada or Noble all the way to Western, new bars, new restaurants, it's still spread out a bit, but it will be a different place give it 10 more years, more & more businesses will move in, lots of space there to fill.
Yeah, Division has gotten crazy. In the 90's there used to be a Duk's at Division and Damen that was a good place to hang out if you wanted to be harassed or shot. Logan Square has changed dramatically in the last 5 years or so as well. The stretch of Milwaukee between California and Logan is filling in at a really rapid pace, with two places slated to open this summer and more on the way.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Sure you know this , but if you do not
the skyway was leased to the same company that leased the Indiana toll road
prices were increased i believe on both and i drive the Indiana toll road at least half a dozen times a year and have noticed a downgrade of maintenance

selling of america in bits and pieces
some spanish company heard thru the grapevine they went bankrupt

interesting take on the city and i am sure it was more interesting after coming back from such a long time

Last edited by sunnyandcloudydays; 08-05-2011 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: added comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago