Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,721 times

Advertisements

OK here's the situation: my fiance and I are relocating from Houston (Montrose), we have 1 weekend to choose a neighborhood and an apartment. We're looking for a 2 bd/1ba (2 bath if possible) with laundry-in-unit, a decent kitchen (space-wise, we don't care about ss), a deck/porch, lots of light and hopefully parking for around $1800. It would be really awesome if there was a wood-burning fireplace, but if not it's not the end of the world. We haven't actually seen any of the neighborhoods, but Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village have been recommended. I have a friend in Ukranian Village so we might check that out too. She recommended Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village.

Question: Since we're so short on time I'm thinking we might want to have an agent or someone from an apartment-hunting service show us some places. Does anyone have any recommendations of people they've used? Or maybe services not to use? We'll probably look on our own a la craigslist/the reader too, but I wanted to get some ideas. I've been google-street-viewing and walk-scoring my face off so hopefully we won't have too much trouble finding our way around!

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Check out the reader as well.

http://classifieds.chicagoreader.com...tion=oid%3A122

Old 07-19-2011, 12:24 PM

I was looking at the Reader today and it had some listings that weren't on craigslist... definitely good to compare, thanks!!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
The Reader isn't a very comprehensive source of apartment listings. But unlike Craigslist, they're paid ads and they're categorized by neighborhood (meaning they can't just throw in keywords to make their listings show up in your search results even when they're 5 miles away from the neighborhood you're searching), so there's a lot less BS to wade through in the Reader classifieds.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM

308 posts, read 757,688 times
I found my place (in Roscoe Village) on Craigs List pretty easily. I tried Apartment Hunters and they were horrible! The guy took me to horrible apartments that were nothing like what I wanted and then tried to force an apartment that was in a neighborhood I didn't want and not in my price range and then gave me attitude when I wouldn't take it.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:42 PM

15 posts, read 23,556 times
From what I hear of the big name companies (e.g apartment hunters, apartment people, etc), it is less about the company than the individual broker you get.

I haven't used them, but some of my friends did and they told me that the biggest thing is to be firm with your broker. Know each neighborhood and what you can get for your money (through craigslist, etc), so that you can recognize if your broker is jerking you around. People who have been shown real dumps have told me that the words "I will not go in another apartment like that...Either show me a better place or I'm going to another company" have worked wonders.

Oh and it might not hurt to schedule with two companies (either morning with one and afternoon with the other) or, more likely, one day with one, next day with another.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,575,060 times
craigslist is just useless these days, totally overrun with spam.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdollardawg View Post
From what I hear of the big name companies (e.g apartment hunters, apartment people, etc), it is less about the company than the individual broker you get.

I haven't used them, but some of my friends did and they told me that the biggest thing is to be firm with your broker. Know each neighborhood and what you can get for your money (through craigslist, etc), so that you can recognize if your broker is jerking you around. People who have been shown real dumps have told me that the words "I will not go in another apartment like that...Either show me a better place or I'm going to another company" have worked wonders.

Oh and it might not hurt to schedule with two companies (either morning with one and afternoon with the other) or, more likely, one day with one, next day with another.
Thanks! We plan to be honest and firm with whoever is helping us. My fiance spoke with someone from our relocation company who is supposed to be helping us with housing in Chicago. He explained what we are looking for and the neighborhoods that have been recommended and she said we won't be able to find anything for less than $2,600! When he told me this I immediately brought up amazing apartments that I've found on craigslist, the reader, apartment people etc that were $1,900 max and have everything we want. And I cross-research with walkscore and google maps street view to prove that they are good areas of the neighborhood.

When someone says something like that it makes me want to ditch them. The whole point of agents/services is to make this easier. If they can't do that or if they're not adding anything except non-constructive, sweeping generalizations then we don't need 'em! So, yeah, that's where I'm at! (Ending exclaimations with prepositions)

When I came here to post about neighborhoods you all said I would probably spend less than $2,000 and I tend to believe you all since you're not trying to "sell" me.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
Thanks! We plan to be honest and firm with whoever is helping us. My fiance spoke with someone from our relocation company who is supposed to be helping us with housing in Chicago. He explained what we are looking for and the neighborhoods that have been recommended and she said we won't be able to find anything for less than $2,600! When he told me this I immediately brought up amazing apartments that I've found on craigslist, the reader, apartment people etc that were $1,900 max and have everything we want. And I cross-research with walkscore and google maps street view to prove that they are good areas of the neighborhood.

When someone says something like that it makes me want to ditch them. The whole point of agents/services is to make this easier. If they can't do that or if they're not adding anything except non-constructive, sweeping generalizations then we don't need 'em! So, yeah, that's where I'm at! (Ending exclaimations with prepositions)

When I came here to post about neighborhoods you all said I would probably spend less than $2,000 and I tend to believe you all since you're not trying to "sell" me.
Nothing for less than $2,600? Tell whoever told you that to eat a sack of monkey balls. Where do they think you're moving to, Park Slope?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Jesus, you can find plenty of apts in Chicago with all/almost all of your amenities for < $1500; $2600 is a load of crap; try another broker..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago