Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,416 times

Advertisements

After reading a few threads over the last year, I have noticed that a few of you have pretty good insite as to how to handle some of Chicago's most pressing issues. I'm starting this thread to gather some solutions to a few of them.

1) Beautification

2) "Bad" neighborhoods

3) Public transportation

4) CPS

And any other idea/solutions to make Chicago a better place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Schools are definitely a major factor. I like the list!

Old 07-19-2011, 02:43 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
As a carless inhabitant, I would be a happier camper if I didn't have to wait 15 minutes (and more) for a bus to come around!!!

Last edited by linicx; 07-20-2011 at 08:57 AM..

Old 07-19-2011, 02:51 PM

438 posts, read 1,698,985 times
I would be so happy if they "timed" the stoplights better on the major roads like Ashland, Damen etc...Nothing is more frustrating then stopping every half block at a light

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM

818 posts, read 2,170,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
1) Beautification
To be honest, I don't think this is much of an issue for Chicago at this point in time. Sure, there are some parts of the city that look pretty run down, and it has been shown that making an area look nicer can have a positive effect on an area. But, in the nicer neighborhoods of the city, I don't think we really need to be putting resources into beautification. So, I'd combine this with #2...

Quote:
2) "Bad" neighborhoods
Probably the most complex of the problems, as a lot of the poverty/attitudes in some of these neighborhoods are systematic, and have been around for many generations. Chicago's bad neighborhood problems are probably cause by almost the same factors as every other city in the US. Attitudes need to be changed on a much larger societal scale, or if Chicago can just rid itself of the people that cause neighborhoods to be bad (ala Manhattan pricing them out).

Quote:
3) Public transportation
If we had money... here is what I would do.

1- More reverse commute trains on METRA (also, maybe a few more weekend trains).

2- Better connections between METRA and CTA. (downtown, Ravenswood area UP-N and Brown line, BNSF and Pink or Orange line, bridge between the Rock Island line and the Red and Green lines near US Cellular Field)

3- Build a few more lines, including extending the Brown line to Jeff Park along the E-W Corridor it currently runs on just south of Lawrence, some kind of circle line that also connects METRA stops, a line between O'Hare and Midway that connects with the Green or Blue line in Oak Park, maybe, also, a Green line spur to Hyde Park.

4- I know you said public transportation, but I think it would also help to continue to improve bicycling facilities and build a few more highways around the entire METRO to reduce congestion.

Quote:
4) CPS
CPS needs more local and parental control, less bureaucracy, less people getting ahead by means of political connections, school choice, and probably also less influence from the unions. The city should definitely have more than one school district, probably a lot more. The magnet school system needs to be merit based and nothing more... no lottery system, a lottery is gambling and no responsible parent gambles their child's education.

I would also personally like Chicago better without the 3% soda tax, and a host of other taxes placed on certain items that whatever "powers that be" deem necessary, probably without the political system the way it is in general to be honest. Corruption here is just tolerated, considered part of life, but it bleeds a lot of money, making the price of everything higher, and the city would be a better place without it.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
1) The school system is terrible
2) Incentives for businesses or individuals to move to Chicago would help.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:11 PM

63 posts, read 140,211 times
The school system is great if you're really lucky

Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,635 times
Chicago would be a better place if...

I lived there.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:04 AM

70 posts, read 96,401 times
Better Bike Lanes, like the new Kinzie Bike Lane

Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
TIFs...they gotta go. CHA/Section 8....they gotta go. Circle line...gotta get it.

Lots of problems solved right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago