U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,363,163 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what you Chicagoans thought on this. I wouldn't be using it for my daily work commute- more like for trips out of the city on the weekends, shopping, visits with family, etc. I'll be on a street in Ukie Village where it's quite narrow and it looks like the cars often get scraped and beat up a little. I have an old piece of crap beater that runs well and is paid off I can take along with me if I want. My question is... do you think it will just be more of annoyance as opposed to an asset? I'd most likely only be using it once a week, if that even. I'm curious to know your thoughts.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,626,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I was wondering what you Chicagoans thought on this. I wouldn't be using it for my daily work commute- more like for trips out of the city on the weekends, shopping, visits with family, etc. I'll be on a street in Ukie Village where it's quite narrow and it looks like the cars often get scraped and beat up a little. I have an old piece of crap beater that runs well and is paid off I can take along with me if I want. My question is... do you think it will just be more of annoyance as opposed to an asset? I'd most likely only be using it once a week, if that even. I'm curious to know your thoughts.
If you have the car take it with you, then if you do not use it sell it!
Maybe you will be one of the people who will only use public transportation.

To me a car is important because of my job but to others like my wife she can get by with just commuting and walking and taking a cab or a bus to work.

Good luck with your move

Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 PM

312 posts, read 666,626 times
personally, I say yes. I commute to work and my wife uses our car because she has a brutal one, but on weekends, as okay as the CTA is, it's not good enough.

But then, you can always use something like zipcars or Igo for trips when you need to haul groceries or crap from Ikea

The closest zipcars loc to Uk village is at 1926 W Superior, close to Damen b/t Chicago and Grand - Zipcar Chicago - Zipcar is easier than Chicago car rental and car ownership

Also, if you've had a car in NYC, you'll find the street cleaning rules here are much easier, like move it once or twice a month as opposed to a week.

Last edited by ole69; 07-22-2011 at 09:48 PM..

Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 PM

491 posts, read 1,042,759 times
I miss my car. I would keep it if it's no expense to you. I don't think it will get too beat up in Ukie Village, my friends that live there park on the street in nice cars and I've never heard them complain.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 PM

312 posts, read 666,626 times
I got the rear bumper of my car removed and my car "towed" 2 blocks over in Uk Village by a city construction crew but it's my own fault. We went out of town for 2 weeks so weren't there to see the notices and had left our car parked there.

My insurance company told me "good luck" trying to get money back from Chicago about that.

I know I've been advocating keeping a car here so far, but consider that a cautionary tale.

In short, if you're not sure, use zipcar or iGo.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM

1,033 posts, read 2,509,284 times
I brought my car here, used it for a few months, and now letting someone borrow it for $100 a week. May consider just selling it after a while.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:09 AM

3,345 posts, read 4,392,228 times
It depends.

One big problem is city law:

City of Chicago :: Parking and Standing Violations (http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/rev/supp_info/parking_meter_information/parking_and_standingviolations.html - broken link)

If you have somewhere to park it off the street then this law won’t be a problem, but if your block has a parking problem then people will enforce it on you. You will need to move your car once a week and clear any snow that falls on it(if it stays on for more than seven days you risk a ticket). You also need to make sure that your car does not have a flat or broken windshield or other sign that it is not moveable. Otherwise you will be ticketed and towed.

In addition there is street sweeping once a month from April 1st till October 31

City of Chicago :: 2011 Residential Street Sweeping Schedule Now Online (http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/streets/provdrs/san/news/2011/mar/2011_residentialstreetsweepingschedulenowonline.ht ml - broken link)

When your street is cleaned they clean one side on one day and the other the next. You will need to move your car and won't be able to park on that side until they take down the sign. Unless a permant sign is up they post signs the day before. Permanat signs are usually found on commercail streets and thoose get cleaned more often.

Those two problems are big problems to people who move their cars rarely.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 AM

15 posts, read 43,525 times
I'm glad this question was asked. I'm moving to Chicago next month with my car. I won't be using it daily, but do want to have it, and need it for my cross country move.

As stressful as finding the perfect apartment is going to be, I'm thinking figuring out the best parking situation is going to be even worse.

I'm just hoping I won't have to sacrifice perks (location, close to L, nice apartment, etc) in order to facilitate an agreeable parking situation. I am hoping if the building I move to doesn't have parking (not counting on it) that I can just find a monthly lot/garage for less than $150 a month. I won't mind hoping on the L to go retrieve my car once in a while. I am mostly just concerned that I will be able to afford a covered, secured, or underground spot. I've taken too much care of my car over the years to let people knock into the bumpers on the street, or let it be eaten away by rust.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,363,163 times
Thanks everyone for the responses. I looked at the cost of insurance & maintaining the vehicle (not to mention the price of gas). It would be far more cost-effective for me to simply use ZipCar/Igo. I'm going to try keeping it for a few months and if I can't justify the extra expense I'll simply sell it. I appreciate your advice!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:13 AM

13,601 posts, read 15,372,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I looked at the cost of insurance & maintaining the vehicle (not to mention the price of gas). It would be far more cost-effective for me to simply use ZipCar/Igo. I'm going to try keeping it for a few months and if I can't justify the extra expense I'll simply sell it. I appreciate your advice!
I think this makes the most sense. Try it out, if it's not worth it, sell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: