Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times

Advertisements

I think that's just how tourism works in a lot of cities.

In NYC tourists really only stick to Manhattan.
In Miami only to Miami Beach.
In Vegas poeple only stay on the strip.
In Honolulu mostly just the Waikiki area.
In New Orleans only really the French Quarter.

I think the exceptions are the dense, compact cities where most of the tourist sites are in regular neighborhoods or spread out. Like San Fran and Boston. While there is a lot to do in their downtowns, but their downtowns are not the main tourist areas, rather their neighborhoods are.

L.A. is in a class of it's own. It has downtown but its tourist sites/where tourists visit is spread all over the place, so basically you go through a lot of the city to get from one area to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I think that's just how tourism works in a lot of cities.

In NYC tourists really only stick to Manhattan.
In Miami only to Miami Beach.
In Vegas poeple only stay on the strip.
In Honolulu mostly just the Waikiki area.
In New Orleans only really the French Quarter.

I think the exceptions are the dense, compact cities where most of the tourist sites are in regular neighborhoods or spread out. Like San Fran and Boston. While there is a lot to do in their downtowns, but their downtowns are not the main tourist areas, rather their neighborhoods are.

L.A. is in a class of it's own. It has downtown but its tourist sites/where tourists visit is spread all over the place, so basically you go through a lot of the city to get from one area to the other.
Yep and it's unfortunate. Many of the most interesting things in any place are out of the way.

People go to Mexico and never leave a beach resort. Doesn't make any sense to me. The beauty of Mexico is not just a beach with a bunch of non-native tourists. Oh well, to each his own.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:30 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Most people have seen a great Mexican restaurant before, or been to an Irish pub.
But how many have been to an Irish tavern? For those one must leave Downtown and the tourist zones.

Of course visiting some joint with a "bottles and cans" Old Style sign isn't nearly as attractive to tourists as some phony Irish themed "pub". To travellers perhaps.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:49 AM

491 posts, read 1,121,273 times
True. That could be a separate thread, "Worst Irish bars." They would probably all be in Lakeview. Anything with the word PADDY in it.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
But how many have been to an Irish tavern? For those one must leave Downtown and the tourist zones.

Of course visiting some joint with a "bottles and cans" Old Style sign isn't nearly as attractive to tourists as some phony Irish themed "pub". To travellers perhaps.
I never understood the fascination with those Disneyfied "Irish pubs".

Old 07-27-2011, 09:19 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
True. That could be a separate thread, "Worst Irish bars." They would probably all be in Lakeview. Anything with the word PADDY in it.
I can't think of any other Lakeview/Lincoln Park bars with "Paddy" in them other than Paddy Long's.

I actually like Paddy Long's though - their beer and bacon tasting was pretty delicious.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM

491 posts, read 1,121,273 times
I was speaking of the omnipresence of "Paddy" in Irish pubs generally. Just a joke dude. Glad you like Paddy Long's. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Yeah, I wish you could find more good 'Irish' pubs or even eateries that don't suck. I know we discussed this in a different thread. My last adventure was at O'Shaughnessy's on Ravenswood. What drew my wife and I in was the special they were running on Bell's beer. Aside from that, the food wasn't that great and the server was slooooow and 'forgot' to put our food order in. Ah well, what can you do.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:47 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Yeah, I wish you could find more good 'Irish' pubs or even eateries that don't suck. I know we discussed this in a different thread. My last adventure was at O'Shaughnessy's on Ravenswood. What drew my wife and I in was the special they were running on Bell's beer. Aside from that, the food wasn't that great and the server was slooooow and 'forgot' to put our food order in. Ah well, what can you do.
You should really try Chief O'Neils. There food is very good and it's a beautiful place on the inside and their beer garden is hard to beat.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
There's only one good Irish pub in Chicago.

Chicago Irish Pubs | Celtic Crossings Chicago Irish Bar | Chicago Irish Pub
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago