Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:48 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Irish food is nothing to write home about anyway.

I've known many a great Irish neighborhood tavern but the only things they had to eat were Slim Jims, Beer Nuts and maybe a Tombstone.

If you want a good example of what Irish-Americans actually consider a "pub" try Schaller's Pump at 37th and Halsted. No phony bull**** and pretty good chow; try the buttsteak and home made hashbrowns.
I'm still searching for one of these bad boys

But i have yet to find one, aside from Ballydoyle Irish Pub & Restaurant in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
I gave Schaller's a whirl once. It was dark and dreary. Unless I caught it on an off evening, it's not my cup of tea at all.

Then it's doing what's intended. Schaller's is a neighborhood place and typical of old school Irish American joints in contrast to the tourist and youth oriented Irish pubs that are so common.

The Irish are a clannish and malicious race and dark and dreary is right up their alley.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Schaller's is a nice neighborhood type of place. One of my fond memories of the short time I lived in Bridgeport. It's kind of nice to sit down and have a butt steak and a cold can of cheap beer.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
I'm still searching for one of these bad boys

But i have yet to find one, aside from Ballydoyle Irish Pub & Restaurant in the suburbs.
looks incredibly tasty

Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,151 times
Default Touring the Loop

I absolutely agree that tourists need to venture into neighborhoods more! But last winter I chanced upon a more off the beaten path activity in the Loop. It's an indoor walking tour that includes the Pedway system. [mod] Brand-new posters may not post links, sorry. [/mod] I was really impressed. As locals I think we sometimes know so little of the Loop.
On another note, how do we tell tourists on the blue line it's frustrating when they clog the aisles and seats with their luggage?

Last edited by JustJulia; 11-20-2011 at 08:12 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBansky View Post
On another note, how do we tell tourists on the blue line it's frustrating when they clog the aisles and seats with their luggage?
Where else are they supposed to put it? It's not like there's luggage racks for them to use.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
tourists who never leave the loop usually don't know they are missing out. however, depending on how long they stay, they will probably find enough to do in the loop to fill a decent amount of time.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBansky View Post
It's not only tourists who fly into/out of Chicago and carry luggage on the blue line.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:21 PM

116 posts, read 384,278 times
oh yeah, it kind of messed up to live in Streeterville or Loop neighborhood. Because everytime you go to work or school, you have to squeeze through a slow walking bunch of tourists. Its certainly better to live a little bit up more north.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM

232 posts, read 736,080 times
Run the Chicago Marathon. I've done it three years now and while it obviously doesn't cover everything, you really do see, on foot, a lot of what makes Chicago an interesting place. Plus you get to decide for yourself what you think of these neighborhoods. Often you see these places on the news at night, on a Sunday morning in October you see the buildings, more quiet, but still can tell there's a lot going on.

Speaking of that, just for kicks I've been trying to look at what a small studio apartment would cost if one were available near, say, the Union Station area...(I usually stay at that hostel on Jackson & Halsted when I visit). Of course it would be great to live near 35th & N Halsted in Boystown but if it's anything like Minneapolis' GLBT area where everything is priced for the gay-rich only, I'll have to look elsewhere. Are there some small studios downtown in Chicago that aren't brand-new corporate apartments for rich people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago