Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Judging by my Facebook newsfeed and all of the friends who have visited Chicago this summer, it seems like so many tourists who visit think that the downtown area is the only part of Chicago. That's all I hear people talking about and the only pictures I ever see.

Is this a common thing you guys have discovered? Visitors who stay solely in the downtown area, thinking that that's where everything happens and end up missing out on discovering more of what Chicago has to offer?
It's a "common thing" you see the world over. I lived in Mexico City and still travel there regularly. Some, maybe most, foreign tourists seem to think there's just one small part of the city to stay, shop and visit. Centro Historico. The miss so much. So do tourists who visit Chicago. I drove a taxi on weekends for several years. I regularly convinced tourists to give some neighborhood restaurants a try when they'd get into the cab and ask for a suggestion. But I don't think Chicago is different than any other city in that respect. Tourists have a limited number of days in town and want to see what the guidebooks suggest. Many come into town to shop Michigan Ave.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
...I have to admit, we are coming mostly just to shop and get cold for a few days so it feels like Christmas. Can you order up some snow? We won't have a car or anything so it would have to be by taxi or train.
Washington and Clark, Daley Plaza. Snowing or not, it feels like Christmas. It is inside The Loop.

Snow? Uugghhh... Maybe? I was told we weren't supposed to get "snow" this weekend, but, I did see some "flakes" the other day.

If you can appreciate frozen water molecules falling from the sky at random, with no substantial accumulation, then Yes, I would guarantee a 51% chance of seeing snow this weekend .

Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,591,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Snow? Uugghhh... Maybe? I was told we weren't supposed to get "snow" this weekend, but, I did see some "flakes" the other day.
LOL we get plenty of "flakes" in Phoenix too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago