U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 AM

127 posts, read 199,116 times

Advertisements

First off, you guys have one fine city. My family and I enjoyed it thoroughly and would go back in a heartbeat. In fact, I would consider moving there if the right opportunity presented itself.

We actually stayed in Naperville which I thought was a very charming town. We had heard so much about it we thought it would be nice to stay there and take the train in everyday to get more of a feel of how it is to live there. Naperville seems to have a lot of nice amenities and cool restaurants. The river is definitely a nice addition.

Chicago itself was blowing and going. The one thing I was shocked by was that after 9pm it seemed strangely quiet and slow. I realize it is mainly commercial downtown and everyone is finished with the business day but it just surprised me. We felt very safe there (maybe we shouldn't have) and never seemed like we were in a situation that would make us feel uncomfortable.

One of the biggest things I liked about Chicago was how people just go on about their business and let people be who they are. I realize that is mostly "cities" but it was just refreshing when being from the South and everyone seems to judge what you have on or how you look. We saw some crazy looking folks but loved every minute of it and glad they felt comfortable enough to be who they are.

We must have walked 50 miles while we were there. You don't realize how far something is until you have walked it. We are way to used to using cars down here and it showed me on this trip. I completely understood when I saw people in business attire and tennis shoes on. Did not blame them.

My daughters loved the American Girl place and it was actually calm until later that afternoon and luckily we were finished. As expected, spent way to much money though. The wife hit the Pinkberry place (all the rage it seems) and was thrilled about that. I got to enjoy some Honker's Ale but was disappointed that I couldn't find more Dogfish IPA selections while there but that seems to be the whole country right now. (These are beers for you non beer people)

We did one of the architecture lake/river boat tours which was extremely interesting. If I could take anything back from our visit it would Navy Pier. MISTAKE! I should have heeded some people's warnings on here about it. Giant carnival setting and was not impressed.

All in all it was a great trip and the weather was amazing this week. Highs in the upper 80's and in the early morning and evening it was in the 70's. Perfect. Feel proud Chicagoans. You have a great city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM

1,325 posts, read 3,895,874 times
What a wonderful review of the city. I am so glad you and your family had a great time here.

p.s. The architectural river tour is a real blast and I learned so much. I know locals who have taken it several times. I am glad you were able to experience it.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM

999 posts, read 1,660,902 times
Glad you enjoyed it! I will agree with you that the downtown area dies at night. I wish it would be a lot more active at night as it also gives the perception that Chicago is a dead city at night to many tourists, which is far from the truth. Nice review!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM

7,297 posts, read 14,388,265 times
Why does the loop need to be more active at night? Especially around the financial district? It's a big city. Not every area can be hopping at all hours. True in any city.

But, to the OP, I'm glad you had a good time. It's a great town.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM

13,433 posts, read 15,290,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Why does the loop need to be more active at night? Especially around the financial district? It's a big city. Not every area can be hopping at all hours. True in any city.

But, to the OP, I'm glad you had a good time. It's a great town.

I agree, it's filled with offices. People don't live in offices.

But more importantly, to the OP thanks for the nice words about our City. Very happy you enjoyed it! Next time you visit, let us know and we'll point to you more vibrant nightlife!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I agree, it's filled with offices. People don't live in offices.

But more importantly, to the OP thanks for the nice words about our City. Very happy you enjoyed it! Next time you visit, let us know and we'll point to you more vibrant nightlife!
Thanks and next time I plan to bring just my wife. It was good because we had the whole family so that really dictated what we did. The wife and I love to find hole in the wall places (NOT CHAINS OF ANY KIND) and enjoy a glass of wine/beer while people watching. Sounds corny but we like it.

One other question, where were all the hog dog vendors or am I confused? I did not see any but it may have been looking in the wrong place.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM

7,297 posts, read 14,388,265 times
Hot dog carts? Not in Chicago. Not downtown, anyway.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:11 AM

13,433 posts, read 15,290,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by necraven View Post
Thanks and next time I plan to bring just my wife. It was good because we had the whole family so that really dictated what we did. The wife and I love to find hole in the wall places (NOT CHAINS OF ANY KIND) and enjoy a glass of wine/beer while people watching. Sounds corny but we like it.

One other question, where were all the hog dog vendors or am I confused? I did not see any but it may have been looking in the wrong place.
Nothing corny at all about holes in the wall with a drink. That's what life is about to me!

Hot dogs, you need to ask ahead of time. Most of the best places are holes in the wall

Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Hot dog carts? Not in Chicago. Not downtown, anyway.
There you go. I was confused. Now I feel as though I didn't miss out.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Nothing corny at all about holes in the wall with a drink. That's what life is about to me!

Hot dogs, you need to ask ahead of time. Most of the best places are holes in the wall
Agree 100%. Down here it is nothing but strip malls and chains. Meh. I hate it. If all goes well, we should be relocating to New England in the coming months and should be able to keep the chain eating down to almost never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago