Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 05:29 PM

15 posts, read 37,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
Large apartment buildings tend to be yuppieville, so I think we're having a hard time trying to figure out how you're looking for the Wicker Park kind of vibe but with larger buildings. Those two things just don't tend to go together, at least in Chicago.
Once again...I am NOT talking about a high rise in the freak'in sky like the Jeffersons! Maybe a building with 15 units instead of 6 or 3 (b/c that's what brownstones offer). My initial thought would be that I could meet more ppl in that type of place. But like my fellow poster who was the first to comment to my OP stated, I can just walk my a-- over to my neighbors with a bottle of Merlot in right hand and apple pie in the left (I hope this NY sarcasm doesn't rub someone the wrong way)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locstarr View Post
Once again...I am NOT talking about a high rise in the freak'in sky like the Jeffersons! Maybe a building with 15 units instead of 6 or 3 (b/c that's what brownstones offer). My initial thought would be that I could meet more ppl in that type of place. But like my fellow poster who was the first to comment to my OP stated, I can just walk my a-- over to my neighbors with a bottle of Merlot in right hand and apple pie in the left (I hope this NY sarcasm doesn't rub someone the wrong way)
For starters, ditch the attitude and stop snapping at people who are just trying to help you. For another, what people keep trying to tell you, and what you apparently refuse to hear, is that you are not going to find what you are looking for in Wicker Park. It is a 3 or 6 unit neighborhood much more than a 15-unit neighborhood. Now, pick your tradeoff: 15-unit building, or Wicker Park, because there is very little overlap between the two.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
For starters, ditch the attitude and stop snapping at people who are just trying to help you. For another, what people keep trying to tell you, and what you apparently refuse to hear, is that you are not going to find what you are looking for in Wicker Park. It is a 3 or 6 unit neighborhood much more than a 15-unit neighborhood. Now, pick your tradeoff: 15-unit building, or Wicker Park, because there is very little overlap between the two.
Drover, I would let you rain on my sarcasm parade, but me being me...that won't happen. Actually, I was not snapping at anyone. Really I would just prefer answers to my question (since city-data is the forum for such a thing). I appreciate ALL of the responses and the frankness from many of the above posters. Now Drover you have already stated what some of the above posters have about what to expect in Wicker Park as far as apts. and what not. Please provide new information, since redundancy on your part is just a waste of time. Thank you.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Once Again...thank You All.

Thank you all for your information. I will utilize all of the useful information in my continued search for a dwelling in Chicagoland!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Drover, I would let you rain on my sarcasm parade, but me being me...that won't happen. Actually, I was not snapping at anyone. Really I would just prefer answers to my question (since city-data is the forum for such a thing). I appreciate ALL of the responses and the frankness from many of the above posters. Now Drover you have already stated what some of the above posters have about what to expect in Wicker Park as far as apts. and what not. Please provide new information, since redundancy on your part is just a waste of time. Thank you.
OK, since you apparently want people to tell you what you want to hear, rather than the reality of the situation, you should have no problem finding 20-unit buildings all over Wicker Park where you will have no problem meeting people since they treat it just like dorm-living with their doors wide open inviting neighbors to just walk in at their leisure. There, hope that helps!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM

Default ok ok ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, since you apparently want people to tell you what you want to hear, rather than the reality of the situation, you should have no problem finding 20-unit buildings all over Wicker Park where you will have no problem meeting people since they treat it just like dorm-living with their doors wide open inviting neighbors to just walk in at their leisure. There, hope that helps!
Drover not at all. I want to hear the truth. I mean it's not like I'm going to jump off of the Williamburg bridge or anything. I'm a big girl. And with that said I will continue to look for the perfect place in Wicker Park even if they do not have slightly larger apt buildings. I mean satan did not rise from hell once the first poster stated there were no large buildings in wicker park...nor did pigs grow wings and started to fly over my head. The world did not end when someone shined that ever-so-bright light in my face that shouted out "THERE ARE NO BIG APT. BUILDINGS IN WICKER PARK!" So I can deal with it.

Now lets move on. Any more important info. about the area would be great. Anything you think I should know. Or point me in the direction of another thread about this area that I would benefit from.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 PM

169 posts, read 456,531 times
Quote:
I understood the first time what you're looking for. I continue to understand what you're looking for. What you're looking for is not what Wicker Park has to offer. I can't really break it down any more simply. I'm not sure what else you want us to do.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:44 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Of course there are some buildings in Wicker Park that have over 6 units. I used to deliver to dozens of them on my old job and have partied at a few of them. Valpo are you from Valparaiso, Indiana? It would make sense if you are,because you do not have much experience in Chicago apparently.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 AM

8 posts, read 22,361 times
Quote:
uh huh....well from what I have gathered it seems that those areas you have mentioned (lincoln park or the gold coast) are yuppyville and I can't really hang with that. Wicker park seems to be a neighborhood where I have a greater chance of vibing with some conscious individuals. But it was NOT my intent to rub anyone the wrong way...because I see gentrification first hand in my hood and surrounding places.
wicker park is full of yuppies who think they arent yuppies.

Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 AM

169 posts, read 456,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinolofus View Post
wicker park is full of yuppies who think they arent yuppies.
It's definitely been headed that way in recent years, which is why this topic seems to be so emotionally charged for many, apparently. At any rate, the question has been answered, and it just seems to be getting mean in here now, so I'm outta here. Oh, and to the above poster, the OP is asking about >15 units, not >6. You can't tell me there are many of those in WP. Or, if you can, perhaps you should share your info with the OP to be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago