Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

Hmm... Chicago definitely is solid in the architecture dept...it has many other aspects too and unique history.

What are you talking about no dev? Chicago has stunners. Have you ever seen most of the residential architecture in U.S.??? It isn't that impressive really.
Aqua was the 2009 skyscraper of the year award... it is definitely more than "decent", it was quite revolutionary design and the tallest building in the world ever designed by a woman.
I'd say Chicago is just fine in the architecture dept...Architecture uni's from around the world visit Chicago as part of their curriculum on field trips and such.
And no, LA And SF are not even close to Chicago in architecture, that is a joke.

Barcelona? Most of that city looks run down and crummy at street level, when did you go there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
A lot of Chicago's style of architecture can be found in many other cities.
That is b/c half the styles were copied from Chicago originals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
IMO, I don't think Chicago really has a prominent identity, and that is why it flies below the radar for many. Chicago has great architecture, but many can make an argument for other cities having equally as good (I actually prefer NYC's). All the cities you mentioned (along with LA and SF), probably have a more reconizable "brand name", but at the end of the day, who cares.
Sure it does:

mobsters/corrupt politics

hot dogs

The Bulls

Beautiful skyline

house music

Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Looks like some people are taking up this issue that Chicago has a complex against New York.

New York is a larger metro New York isnt Chicago and from what I have seen Chicago does not even think about New York except when the national news is broadcasting.

Never do I hear anyone that I associate with any talk about new york unless they are going there to visit someone they know.

I believe most people in this area enjoy what we have and are thankful for things like lake michigan all the street festivals some people immerse themselves in the cities sports teams and some people enjoy our music culture some enjoy the architecture and some enjoy our history of the area

i dont think its just me but new york or any other metro is not a part of our daily discussions

most people realize that chicago has an architecture following around the world it doesnt take long to realize just what you have under the clouds in chicago or in some cases buildings in the clouds to enjoy the beauty of chicago. It will never be new york everyone realizes this and no one strives to look upto new york or be its equal we simply enjoy what has been in the neighborhood for years and enjoy to its fullest whether its a bigger city or a smaller city this is home base

Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 AM

4,664 posts, read 4,977,549 times
The average Chicagoan lives in a beautiful building on a beautiful street, much more aesthetically appealing than most major cities. That's the whole point of Chicago to me, not avant-garde towers built downtown by foreign architects.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 AM

477 posts, read 664,610 times
Quote:
Historically, yes it's very prominent. However I am talking about in the last few decades. What has Chicago done, besides MP, that has really been completely unique and added a wow factor? A lot of Chicago's style of architecture can be found in many other cities. I am talking about unique approach to architecture, one that when someone sees it they say "That's Chicago". Again, I am talking about in modern times, not in the early 20th century.
That's complete BS. Chicago has a unique contemporary condo/apartment building style. Are they starchecture, no. Go elsewhere in the Midwest and you won't see as substantial a buildings both in a modern and neo-vernacular style as you find here.

The current Chicago style in condo/apartment building is brick facade in the front cinderblock on the side, I don't see this ANYWHERE else, in other places the cinderblock is vinyl siding. Oftentimes there is a lot of detail and a very high standard for design (though in NYC they are doing this too but differently). Its VERY unique and when I tell out of towners (I'm a recent transplant) that that substantial brick building is new construction, they can't believe it, they think its older!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago