Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,116 times

Advertisements

Hi,

This is my first posting of a thread on City-Data and I've been researching Chicago for a while now. I'd be moving there with a job already and quite a bit of money in the bank. I've been researching many areas of Chicago, but need some ACTUAL people from there and surrounding areas to give me further insight.
I'm a 22 year old actor who is searching for an area in or around Chicago that is definately involved in the arts/theatre/performance. I'd love to live in an area where I can live without a car, but if my work ends up being in Elgin, which is 40 minutes away, I might need my car afterall.
So what it all comes down to:

I've lived with my girlfriend for 5 years in Nebraska, the city shouldn't matter because it IS NOT the size and scale of Chicago. I've sat on this idea for two years while working for a company that I've moved up the ranks in and have the ability to transfer my work to Chicago/Elgin whereabouts. We both want to move to Chicago. My girlfriend was enlisted in the Navy there as Master at Arms to begin training. She was medically discharged for her hip problems and she has been working for a while and MONEY is of no issue.
The issue is this: I'm looking to further my acting training and would love to live in an area where CLASSES and THEATERS and AUDITIONS and AGENTS abound.
I've purchased the TWO books that will help in preparation for my acting endeavors specifically in Chicago, but I need information as to where MOST actors or aspiring actors live.

We will want to rent a 1-bedroom OR a studio that allows two people in it- which is unheard of in Nebraska, so I'm not sure if that's allowed in Chicago. So any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
We're looking to pay $500-$1500 for rent a month. We live cheap and have cars that are paid off. We would both have great jobs. My salary is around 27k-32k/year depending on how available overtime is. Hers is a little less. I'm very financially set and have landlord references and a great FICO score. We'd be moving with two cars, no furniture (if you know of any apartments that are 1-bedroom and FURNISHED, UTIL paid, NO DEPOSIT, please let me know. That's what we're in now for not even $400 a month. That's how we'll be able to afford something pricier. We live CHEAP.
I've tried finding more about Rogers Park, Hyde Park, and many areas north of Downtown. Northwest suburbs as well. I don't know if living in the South would make any sense, unless many acting opportunities abound there. Basically what I want to find out is what THE GOLD COAST is and places I've seen on craigslist and other apartment sites are. What we want is an area that is for young "professionals" or just 20-somethings making a living and very artsy, music, theater, movies, all of it.

My name's Daniel and I hope to hear from some residents of Chicago that would happen to know a great deal about the acting scene and where most theatres and classes happen to be. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,351 times
If you need to work in Elgin then living in Chicago could pose a problem. Elgin is 40 mins away with little traffic, in rush or with bad weather(snow ect..) double that. Now if there is public transit to where you work in Elgin (doubtful) then living in Chicago might work better. Honestly you need to be somewhere in the northwest burbs or somewhere northwest along 90 in the city. Neither of thoose are places know for being very artsy. I think the 40 mins you listed is probably from O'hare to Elgin or not very far into Chicago.

Downtown is bad too far south and 90/94 jams horrifically. Hyde park worse. The gold coast likewise isn't far north enough to be of much help.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM

63 posts, read 139,962 times
You scream Lincoln Park

Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM

491 posts, read 1,118,596 times
I don't think the actors are really congregated in one area because the reputable theaters are fairly spread out. The actors I know live in Bucktown, probably because it is a little more affordable than Wicker Park but still "indie."

Just as a little advice, Chicago tends to be a stepping stone for (lucky) actors. Making a living here as a theatrical actor is very, very difficult. However building your rep up here and getting a good agent before making the plunge to LA or NY IS a very good idea.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM

427 posts, read 461,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boydeglas View Post
but if my work ends up being in Elgin, which is 40 minutes away, I might need my car afterall.
There would not be a "might", it would be "you will" need one.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,116 times
Default thanks to all replying

OP here,

Thanks to everyone for all the vital information thus far. I'd like to think that my work COULD BE in both Chicago AND Elgin, but from what I've been told and have researched so far, Elgin is the place. Now it's time to rethink and possibly look for a place in Elgin close to work and start digging into apartments there and how vital a car would have to be.
A couple things I'd appreciate answers to:
1. If I were to live in Elgin OR Chicago, and planned on focusing most of my time in one city, would a car be necessary? I've been so dependent on a car for work and everything, I'd love to experience Chicago's public transit and all the different trains. Is there a website that discloses all the different modes of transportation in Elgin or Chicago? Is ZipCar in Chicago?
2. Now that I've made a fool of myself to think that a grand city such as Chicago would have multiple neighborhoods that are big into theatre and would be homes to those seeking entry onto their stages, are there any actors that responding and could give me personal opinions on classes and workshops?
3. I'd love to get input into how people feel with what area THEY live in. You obviously don't have to give me your address, but just general area or neighborhood and how far it is from central downtown Chicago.
4. My girlfriend and I ARE NOT barhoppers, big spenders, or the social status couple eating at fine restaurant establishments. All we do is WORK and I WORK two jobs. The second being my dedication to acting. We're not looking to live in an area filled with 20somethings (or anyone for that matter) getting drunk and telling the world via Facebook or Twitter.
THANKS EVERYONE!!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 PM

427 posts, read 461,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbarrett View Post
There would not be a "might", it would be "you will" need one.
I did forget that the Metra goes to Elgin. But if you are going back to Chicago (like after 10:15) you will be screwed.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM

319 posts, read 602,748 times
Quote:
OP here,

1. If I were to live in Elgin OR Chicago, and planned on focusing most of my time in one city, would a car be necessary? I've been so dependent on a car for work and everything, I'd love to experience Chicago's public transit and all the different trains. Is there a website that discloses all the different modes of transportation in Elgin or Chicago? Is ZipCar in Chicago?
goroo | RTA, CTA, Metra, Pace, Driving and Biking Directions | Better Directions, Better Trip Planner.

^^ You can use that to plan trips. I think google maps has a feature like this as well.

ZipCar is in Chicago.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,979,351 times
Quote:
OP here,

Thanks to everyone for all the vital information thus far. I'd like to think that my work COULD BE in both Chicago AND Elgin, but from what I've been told and have researched so far, Elgin is the place. Now it's time to rethink and possibly look for a place in Elgin close to work and start digging into apartments there and how vital a car would have to be.
A couple things I'd appreciate answers to:
For the city of Chicago itself you do not need a car. It could be very helpful to have one or a pain in the neck depending on where you go/when.

For Elgin you probably do. Public transportation is limited in the burbs.

Here is the low down.

Live in an area with bad parking (lakeview/Lincoln park) and work downtown(there is no free parking in the loop) and you car will not be a plesnant experience. Downtown is best reached via public transit and there is lots of it there. In those places you could be looking to spend $200(or so) for parking a month and not using you car but maybe for the weekends.

Work any place other than downtown and having the car has far less downside (driving is faster than public transit most of the time(only during rush will the el beat the car and the bus never)).

And not all neighborhoods have bad parking (the vast majority do not have bad parking just certain hot ones).

For Elgin Metra can take you to Elgin, but you need to make sure there is a way from the Metra station to where you work and that Metra’s hours are compatiable with your work schedule. Metra is more set up to bring people from the burbs into the city than the other way around and in some burbs there might not be any sort of bus service(or even sidewalk) to take you from the station to your workplace.

Anyway before we can give much helpful advice we kinda need to know where you are going to work. The city itself is large enough and has enough traffic to take an hour to get from one side to the other. It can take 40+ min to get to O’hare from downtown in rush.

If it is Elgin then you may need to live in Elgin(or find a spot in Chicago near the Metra train to Elgin). If it is downtown then you need to be near public transit to downtown(Metra or CTA). If it is elsewhere in Chicago(like the northside then you either need to be near it or near public transit to it cause you can set up a bad commute and not leave Chicago itself. ).

Old 08-06-2011, 11:48 PM

319 posts, read 602,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
If it is Elgin then you may need to live in Elgin(or find a spot in Chicago near the Metra train to Elgin). If it is downtown then you need to be near public transit to downtown(Metra or CTA). If it is elsewhere in Chicago(like the northside then you either need to be near it or near public transit to it cause you can set up a bad commute and not leave Chicago itself. ).
I would never suggest a Chicago to Elgin drive at rush hour from Chicago. Depending on where the business is, it can even take quite a bit of time to get around in Elgin itself. The exits off of 90 are pretty far north in Elgin, and traffic can be quite bad there too.

One consideration, if you had to have access to both Chicago and Elgin regularly, is that you could just leave a car in Elgin at or near the Metra station there. Parking is far less difficult in Elgin, and I don't believe they require "city stickers" although it's been an eternity since I lived there. I wouldn't leave a nice car sit for weekends or overnight, but if it's a bit of a junker and you don't keep anything in it, it can be just fine.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago