Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 07:17 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,296,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
Thanks all for info.

So what I am getting is that if i can somehow afford it or manage it than head to NJ as Chicago economy is worse, crime rate is high and public transportation is not good (though i have heard all the time that CTA is second best to NYC system but that is what i have heard never personally experienced).

So a honest question will be is moving to Chicago viable. My main reasons are getting a decent Accounting job, being able to use a city-wide transportation system that is good and reliable and frankly move up from Houston without breaking my bank or going way over my budget. So is that Chicago or somewhere in NJ.
Some good advice regarding this thread: Ignore Dallas101. That poster hates Chicago and will do anything to make it look bad.

Chicago public transportation is good.

The L, Metra and bus system are all very good.

I also would not worry about the crime in Chicago. It's a large city, but other than that you do not need to be too concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 PM

84 posts, read 193,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Some good advice regarding this thread: Ignore Dallas101. That poster hates Chicago and will do anything to make it look bad.

Chicago public transportation is good.

The L, Metra and bus system are all very good.

I also would not worry about the crime in Chicago. It's a large city, but other than that you do not need to be too concerned.
I guess I should have noticed the screen name 'Dallas101' and especially that 17 page thread about Dallas vs Chicago that comes on google if you ever search for Chicago hehe.

Thanks for the advice and it make sense too as i had relatives living in Chicago until like a year or so ago. All of them moved for reasons that were family oriented (have more family in houston etc.) otherwise they all loved Chicago.

I will keep a open-mind about both Chicago and NJ. However, the more replies i get the more info i will have to make a informed decision.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,280,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highguard View Post
Thanks all for info.

So what I am getting is that if i can somehow afford it or manage it than head to NJ as Chicago economy is worse, crime rate is high and public transportation is not good (though i have heard all the time that CTA is second best to NYC system but that is what i have heard never personally experienced).

So a honest question will be is moving to Chicago viable. My main reasons are getting a decent Accounting job, being able to use a city-wide transportation system that is good and reliable and frankly move up from Houston without breaking my bank or going way over my budget. So is that Chicago or somewhere in NJ.
Ignore Dallas101. He has spent years and lots of energy whining about Chicago on these forums.

Crime in Chicago is a problem. It also happens to to be highly concentrated in certain parts of town, parts you probably wouldn't want to live in and have no particular reason to venture into. That's like saying "Don't move to New York because most of the Bronx sucks."

The unemployment rate in Chicago and New York are about the same, with Chicago's unemployment rate actually being a bit lower last I checked. Which one is a better market specifically for someone starting out as an accountant, I don't know.

NYC's transit system is better than Chicago's. I would say Chicago's is second-best but it can be slow at times, especially buses. The key to making the best of Chicago's transit system is to live relatively close to a CTA train station. The trains are relatively quick and efficient.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM

491 posts, read 1,122,715 times
I don't know anything about Jersey but culturally coming from Houston you may have more in common with Midwesterners/Chicagoans. My friends from Houston who have spent time here love it. It's probably just *that much* more of a laid back vibe than you might get in/around NYC.

The only people I know who love NYC are either those in some industry where you have to MAKE IT and are chasing some dream like that or are kids who have no responsibilities and can just go nuts enjoying the city.

At your age, a lot of people who moved to NYC in their early-mid 20s are moving out because they realize that they will never be able to afford to buy a one bedroom apartment let alone get married and have kids in the city.

Why live in Jersey City except to be close to NYC? NYC especially as you get older is prohibitively expensive. You are almost guaranteed to be rent poor.

And yeah the winters will kick your ass. That's part of our charm.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,807,098 times
I have lived in NJ, NY and all over Chicagoland. I am one of those people who can be happy anywhere.

Housing is substantially less costly in Chicago.
If you work in NYC and live in NJ, you will also pay an incremental tax to the great state of NY for the opportunity to work there.

There's tremendeous competition for entry level accounting /finance jobs in Chicago and the NY tri-state area.

For all you know, your best career opportunities might be ADP in Elk Grove ( suburb of Chicago) or PWC in Hartford , Ct. Then what ?

Old 08-10-2011, 10:18 PM

84 posts, read 193,144 times
Thanks all for the replies and all the helpful info.

You all make good points. Crime is everywhere and there are some no-go areas in Houston too that we all make a point to avoid. I am sure it's the same for Chicago too. Yep I hope to find accomdations near the L stations if i choose to live in Chicago makes most sense. I am more fan of trains than buses.

It looks at my age and for the long-term outlook maybe Chicago is better. I am getting a vibe and have heard that NJ/NYC area is good when you are in your 20's but for settling with a family and home is almost impossible unless you strike rich there. I have heard of many people relocating from Manhattan to south etc. and feeling rich in a sense that the money they have there wont get them anymore than a small apartment and here now they can own big homes for the same amount. That is a real major criteria to evaluate for the long-term because i don't want to be renting all my life at least and will like to have decent home at some point. Also I precieve myself as middle-class salaried person than someone who gets bonafide rich and can afford a lavish lifestyle (may happen hehe but i want to play it safe).

What attracts me to Chicago is the public transportation, the walk-ability of the city and a nyc kind of feel but with more affordable lifestyle. What bothers me is what i hear about the extreme bone-chilling cold for 7 months a year or more and than it leads to people spending time huddled indoors (from what i heard as someone i knew living in Chicago said once 'You really dont want/feel to be outside with wind-chills which makes you feel like below 10 F-20F and that is quite often the weather for half the year atleast if not more).

Also another attraction is being able to work on my CPA cert right after my undergrad education. In texas i will need to do a master but for state of Illinois i meet all their requirement at my undergrad level. So in all i really don't want to do a masters anytime soon and moving to Chicago will help me become a cpa more easily.

Anyways thanks all again. Keep on contributing as its educating me a lot about the pro's/con's.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,299,080 times
Thousands of people ride the rails or bus to work or shop every day in Chicago. NYC, LA and Chicago are all very unique cities; it is waste of time to try to compare the three unless you've lived in or spent consideable time in each. My own personal opinion is this: if you really like Accounting and you want an advantage in empoyment then scoot over to ISU at Normal, IL and get your masters. This public University has 1 of the 13 best actuary schools in North America and it won't break the bank. If there is a bonus it is the university is located in the heart of the insurance industry. The COL is reasonable and you are next to a train that will get you to Chicago or St. Louis in a couple of hours.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas101 View Post
Chicago rents are generally cheaper than in Jersey, but keep in mind you get what you pay for.

In Chicago the economy is much worse, crime is higher, public transit is worse, and you aren't right next to Manhattan.
Not sure where you get this. Newark gets 2.5 stars, while Chicago gets 3 stars on yelp. I find Chicago's public transportation to be very good and easy to get around on.

NJ Transit - Newark, NJ

Chicago Transit Authority CTA - Near West Side - Chicago, IL

Newark is a smaller town and it's crime stats are not very good

Newark, NJ Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Newark - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Chicago's are here

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Chicago, IL Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Chicago - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

I don't think New Jersey's economy is better than Chicago's. Everyplace is suffering, even Houston which is supposed to be better than average.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,947,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
I don't know anything about Jersey but culturally coming from Houston you may have more in common with Midwesterners/Chicagoans. My friends from Houston who have spent time here love it. It's probably just *that much* more of a laid back vibe than you might get in/around NYC.

The only people I know who love NYC are either those in some industry where you have to MAKE IT and are chasing some dream like that or are kids who have no responsibilities and can just go nuts enjoying the city.

At your age, a lot of people who moved to NYC in their early-mid 20s are moving out because they realize that they will never be able to afford to buy a one bedroom apartment let alone get married and have kids in the city.

Why live in Jersey City except to be close to NYC? NYC especially as you get older is prohibitively expensive. You are almost guaranteed to be rent poor.

And yeah the winters will kick your ass. That's part of our charm.
I agree with this post. Not only will he have more in common with midwesterners, but he is comparing little places to living in a real city. Newark and Jersey City really don't offer that much except access to NYC.
In Chicago, he can get to so much within the city itself.

I actually was born and brought up on the east coast. I get claustrophobic every time I go back and visit. People in the east live on top of each other. I love Chicago because there is more breathing room. Houston is a sprawl city and Chicago is more compact, but it's still not like New York and New Jersey.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:41 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,296,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not sure where you get this. Newark gets 2.5 stars, while Chicago gets 3 stars on yelp. I find Chicago's public transportation to be very good and easy to get around on.

NJ Transit - Newark, NJ

Chicago Transit Authority CTA - Near West Side - Chicago, IL

Newark is a smaller town and it's crime stats are not very good

I don't think New Jersey's economy is better than Chicago's. Everyplace is suffering, even Houston which is supposed to be better than average.
Don't worry, it's a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago