Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 04:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
General question - ideally, what types of jobs which utilize the skills acquired in college, you be looking for?

Even after you get that dream barista job - where does an anthropologist go from there. Asking not to be rude, just curious.

As a fellow English major, I was looking to teach at first. But anthropology? That's a tough sell.

As much fun as I had in college and as many critical thinking skills I picked up along the way, I'd change my major if I could go back in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 04:49 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
You're going to have to have the 1st months rent plus the security deposit (which could be more than a month's rent) in order to move into a place. That's a good chunk of your savings right there.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:23 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl View Post
You're going to have to have the 1st months rent plus the security deposit (which could be more than a month's rent) in order to move into a place. That's a good chunk of your savings right there.
Yep.

$2,500 for a single person willing to rent a room from a struggling divorced guy in an ungentrified part of the city in 1995 should be plenty. I say that because it was true for me.

$2,500 for a couple who mention one of the ten most expensive neighborhoods as where they want to live and are probably not really interested in sharing an apartment with strangers in 2011 is really, really risky without a job lined up. Hell, it'd be shaky (doable, but shaky) beven with a job lined up, to be frank.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
$2,500 isn't really even enough for a single person, let alone a couple. That was the first thought that I had. I think the smartest thing they could do is save more before moving. Enough to last 9 months. And I wouldn't suggest getting an apartment right away. It would be a better move financially to rent from someone (i.e. a basement apartment in someones home, spacious room, etc.) and stay in one of the less expensive neighborhoods. I would suggest all of this even IF you had jobs lined up. Why not just take a few months to work hard and save some more? There are worse things in life. That way when you finally do move you won't be so stressed out and you'll be able to enjoy the city that much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 06:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,847 times
I was living in St. Louis and working a decent-paying job before moving here. I refused to move without a new decent job lined up. It took me close to 6 months before I got an offer and thus my ticket out of St. Louis. It's much more difficult to find a job in your field if you don't have a job or working as a waiter/bartender. I think it's a very risky move you're about to make and I recommend you either save up a lot more money or secure a job first before moving. I would go with the latter route but it's your choice of course. If you want to live in Lakeview, expect to be paying pretty high rent. Your $2,500 isn't going to last more than a month or two.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
Both of those degrees are most utilized by going to grad school and getting your doctorate, or at least master's degree. I haven't really heard of anyone doing anything with a bachelor's degree in English or anthro. A degree in English is considered a liberal arts degree and isn't highly sought after. You could try getting a writing job. As for anthropology, I have no clue what kind of anthropology-related job he would get with a bachelor's.

I know you wrote that both of you were fine getting minimum wage-type jobs, but if you both had a job paying say $7.50 or $8 an hour, you would have a hard time paying your bills every month and you are earning degrees for a reason.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:40 PM

18 posts, read 71,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Both of those degrees are most utilized by going to grad school and getting your doctorate, or at least master's degree. I haven't really heard of anyone doing anything with a bachelor's degree in English or anthro. A degree in English is considered a liberal arts degree and isn't highly sought after. You could try getting a writing job. As for anthropology, I have no clue what kind of anthropology-related job he would get with a bachelor's.

I know you wrote that both of you were fine getting minimum wage-type jobs, but if you both had a job paying say $7.50 or $8 an hour, you would have a hard time paying your bills every month and you are earning degrees for a reason.
Grad school is definitely something that we're both planning on, but neither of us are really up for another 2+ years at the University of Iowa. We're both interested in some of the schools in the Chicago area, but will probably wait 1-2 years.
Obviously, working above minimum wage would be desirable. However, I know that it might be a little unreasonable to expect this right out of college, so this would just be temporary until a better job opportunity opens up. We've figured that if the two of us work full time at minimum wage, we'd be making at least enough to cover $700-900 in rent (probably a studio apartment). So, not an ideal situation, but something that we could deal with.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster12 View Post
Grad school is definitely something that we're both planning on, but neither of us are really up for another 2+ years at the University of Iowa. We're both interested in some of the schools in the Chicago area, but will probably wait 1-2 years.
Obviously, working above minimum wage would be desirable. However, I know that it might be a little unreasonable to expect this right out of college, so this would just be temporary until a better job opportunity opens up. We've figured that if the two of us work full time at minimum wage, we'd be making at least enough to cover $700-900 in rent (probably a studio apartment). So, not an ideal situation, but something that we could deal with.
Honestly, you sound like you are acting on pure impulse and making a very poorly planned decision. First of all, you will NOT be able to afford a $700-900 per month apartment on two minimum wage salaries. One person's wage would be barely enough to cover all of the utility expenses and rent at that rate. You'd be left scrambling trying to have enough left over just for food, transit, medical bills, etc. You would go into debt very quickly, if you haven't already because your expenses would outweigh your monthly combined income. And how you would ever be able to save money for grad school is completely beyond me. You need to save more money before you contemplate this move and you need to lower your standards about livability (i.e. look to more affordable neighborhoods and living arrangements). Also, you should look at temp agencies for work. They pay well above minimum wage. Serving and bartending positions also pay well above minimum wage at the right places. But you need experience. I would avoid Starbucks gigs and only use them as an absolute last resort. But that's just me. The only exception would be if they were willing to train you for a management position. Hopefully your romantic idealism simmers down into a hearty stew of realism before life beats the crap out of you two. You don't want to drown in debt, it sucks really bad and is not much fun. Take a year, put a good 10-15K in the bank and see if your relationship can endure that. If it can't, it's not going to survive in Chicago anyway. And to be stuck alone in Chicago on a minimum wage job... talk about a real mess of a situation you don't want to be in. View this time as a test in your relationship as you build savings in individual accounts. Anything worthwhile in life involves sacrafice. If you can endure another year it will make the move that much sweeter and you'll be able to truly enjoy it as opposed to being a stressed out Nervous Nelly. Seriously, also... if I had to live with someone in a studio apartment I would end up wanting to suffocate them with a pillow. Think about reality. Where will you go when you need privacy? The dumpster?

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 08-10-2011 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM

183 posts, read 338,936 times
Your remark that you plan to live in Lakeview kind of indicates you are not very savvy about economizing in Chicago. Lakeview is expensive. You can have the Chicago experience without joining the other 20 something lemmings and moving to Lakeview. Research other neighborhoods-Albany Park, Rogers Park, Edgewater, Ukranian Village, Wicker Park

Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 PM

427 posts, read 463,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster12 View Post
We are estimating that, together, we will have around $2,500 in savings for the move-- do you think that this would be enough to live off of while trying to find jobs?
If you get a cheap studio with all utilities included you might make it 3 months with $2500, that is if you do not have to pay a security deposit on your apartment.

Last edited by sydbarrett; 08-10-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago