Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
^^Spot on, for the most part. I'd also attribute the larger integration of Los Angeles to larger number Blacks and Latinos in the middle and upper classes. People like that in Chicagoland may be reluctant to live in the city, as there really aren't that many good places for us to live. There aren't upper-class black neighborhoods here, and mid-to-upper class black people certainly do not live in racially integrated communities of the same class. There doesn't seem to be a Ladera Heights of Chicago, or an equivalent of the West Side. (And if there is, someone please let me know, and I will break my lease and move there today.)

If you're well off and black in Chicago, your choices of desirable places to live are extremely limited. The city is rather segregated racially, so your options are (with a pocketful of exceptions) to live on the South side, and be surrounded by people you have absolutely nothing in common with other than skin tone, or go North and be given the cold shoulder. People here seem to want to sweep the hostility under the convenient rug of "class hostility" but that's silliness and unfettered denial. Perhaps the problem would be solved by middle+ class black and brown people moving in, but I could see why they wouldn't want to. The problem just compounds itself.

Ah well. C'est Chicago.
What about Beverly, the South Loop, Oak Park, Flossmoor, Hyde Park, or Kenwood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:51 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I dont want to repeat myself but the ones that have the toughest time are the ones that try to fit into the lvlp community. It ain't happening.
Child, please. LV/LP don't appeal to me at all, and I can't even understand why people drool on themselves with adulation for these places.

Quote:
Don't throw away the entire southside of as being bad. I think Hydepark is a wonderful neighborhood for young professionals that want to embrace racial and cultural diversity.
True. If I stay here, I might consider Hyde Park.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
In Lakeview and Lincoln Park, it's the "professional" part of "white professional" that's most important. If you find you have similar interests and values as the Lincoln Park/Lakeview crowd, your skin color won't matter much beyond the novelty factor. It's understandable if you don't want to be the token black guy at the bar or social gathering or whatever. But someone has to be if the "no mingling" tendency you're complaining about is to change. As for the wariness of black males in white north-side neighborhoods, it will go some way toward easing people's anxieties if you don't dress like you just got done filming a rap video.
I do find it interesting that it is always blacks trying to and having a problem ''fitting-in'' in white communities etc...why do we never hear about whites trying to fit-in in black communities or social settings?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I do find it interesting that it is always blacks trying to and having a problem ''fitting-in'' in white communities etc...why do we never hear about whites trying to fit-in in black communities or social settings?
it's funny that you mention it but many lakeview ers our lincoln park ers are scared to even set foot into hydepark because its on the southside.

When a neighborhood reaches 30 percent black things change with some perceptions White people dont have a problem blending in with hydepark. Its the lakeview/lincolnpark type that will have a problem. (im just using hydepark as an example) (it's not about income either)

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 08-22-2011 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Is this a serious question?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:55 PM

101 posts, read 171,915 times
Quote:
Is there no "whigga" culture in Chicago? They're all over California.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,571 times
if your blk the best places, to hang out is
1.hyde park
2.Uptown/bucktown-six corners
3.downtown clubs
5.rush/division

or the blk suburban clubs if u dont want diversity.
I think Lakeview is not that bad,but LP can go to hell
I wouldnt advise going to LP unless you have freinds there.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Actually this subculture that you refer to is surprisingly weaker in Chicago compared to California. Perhaps it has to do with a lotta the folks on the north side being slightly older yuppies transplanted from throughout the Midwest. Maybe it just never caught on as much. You might see more of this among the younger white dudes that actually grew up in the south side of Chicago though (ie. Beverly, Bridgeport, etc.). You would think that some of the Michigan transplants would carry the culture over here but it's surprisingly non-existent among the ones that transplant to Chicago. Ironic since a certain rapper from Metro Detroit is the icon for this said subculture lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingerBananafish View Post
Is there no "whigga" culture in Chicago? They're all over California.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Actually this subculture that you refer to is surprisingly weaker in Chicago compared to California. Perhaps it has to do with a lotta the folks on the north side being slightly older yuppies transplanted from throughout the Midwest. Maybe it just never caught on as much. You might see more of this among the younger white dudes that actually grew up in the south side of Chicago though (ie. Beverly, Bridgeport, etc.). You would think that some of the Michigan transplants would carry the culture over here but it's surprisingly non-existent among the ones that transplant to Chicago. Ironic since a certain rapper from Metro Detroit is the icon for this said subculture lol.
There are some wiggers in the west suburbs schaumburg,
boilingbrook, and some in oaklawn

Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Is this a serious question?
It's a serious point, not so much a question. How many young white professionals complain about having difficulty in trying to fit into black social circles etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago