Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:38 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,436,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'd like to think that most of the white people in places like Lakeview and Lincoln Park who act uncomfortable around black people do so only because they're not used to hanging out with black people and not because they're actively racist, so if more black people decided to persistently make friends in the area, it would become more integrated and less tense. But I honestly don't know if that's actually the case.
We are talking about grown adults, not children, correct? Grown people that have the ability to know right from wrong? Why are you so willing to let them off the hook so easily?
It doesn't matter what you "like to think" about people in LV/LP. If someone acts uncomfortable around people of a different race, that points to some sort of sociopathic problem they have, not the person of the other race. Anyone who "acts uncomfortable" around people of a different race have a problem. Thinking that problem will go away just by having more different race people in the neighborhood is naive(sp).

More than likely, people with this problem would move away if significant number of non-white people moved into LV/LP, they wouldn't hang around to "get over their feelings of discomfort."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 10:31 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
We are talking about grown adults, not children, correct? Grown people that have the ability to know right from wrong? Why are you so willing to let them off the hook so easily?
It doesn't matter what you "like to think" about people in LV/LP. If someone acts uncomfortable around people of a different race, that points to some sort of sociopathic problem they have, not the person of the other race. Anyone who "acts uncomfortable" around people of a different race have a problem. Thinking that problem will go away just by having more different race people in the neighborhood is naive(sp).

More than likely, people with this problem would move away if significant number of non-white people moved into LV/LP, they wouldn't hang around to "get over their feelings of discomfort."
This is what I call being dreadfully honest....

Like removing the 'fluff' and getting to the heart of the matter...I like it...the post that is...

Another thing I like about this post...is for once it points to or emphasizes the 'behavior' of those who arbitrarily make others feel 'bad' 'ugly' 'unwanted' do to inherited traits they may have...

When I walk into a room, and people there get tense, or react as if I have the plague, and I've done nothing to them...then maybe like the author of the above post said...it's not me, or you, but rather a symptom of an accepted form or 'sociopathic' behavior....

I can understand if one walks in smelling, acting rude, and being disruptive...

But if a young proffesional black guy, light or dark skinned, walks into a social establishment, and recieves hostile stares, and hasn't done anything wrong, than somethings wrong, scary, about the people giving him the hostile treatment...

When equally a young metrosexual white guy can walk in, whom no one knows either, but is somehow accepted by default as being 'ok'....

When in reality they could just as well be the son of a prominant mafia boss....

And of course, to be fair, this can work in reverse also...

If a nuetral white guy walks into a predominant Mexican establishment or Black establishment or Islamic establishment, and is met with hostility simply cause their 'white'...(and maybe it does occur overseas, where the power structure is different...)

But here in America, where the overwhelming people with power and employment connections are still 'white', it's hard for any minority to rise up without having to play the whole field.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 16,256 times
What about Oak Park?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post

I don't think calling people sociopathic and immoral (which is what you're saying by bringing up the idea of right vs. wrong) for being uncomfortable with the unfamiliar is the right way to try and improve race relations. Being uncomfortable with the unfamiliar is a natural, instinctive trait not only with humans, but across all social animals. I didn't mean uncomfortable to the point they'd leave a restaurant or huddle, frightened across the dining room. I meant uncomfortable more in the sense of uncertain of what the expectations of the new guy are and, more to the point not wanting to inadvertently offend anyone and get called a sociopath.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:15 PM

When I see new humans while in a resturant...

I never get uncomfortable...

And for sure not in a high scale business setting....

it's one thing if I'm in a dark alley...or the hills of Afganistan to encounter someone new to me, but while at an established social setting, where everyone there is dressed decent and professional, why would I cast suspicion on another who was of a different ethnic background...unless I was a 'sociopath'...

Makes sense to me...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:03 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Sociopathic is breaking from the norms of society. If it's a common attitude and behavior then it's not sociopathic.

Mob mentality? Collective insanity?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Sociopathic is breaking from the norms of society. If it's a common attitude and behavior then it's not sociopathic.

Mob mentality? Collective insanity?
To me 'logic and reasoning' dictate what is considered sociopathic...

And it is not logical or reasonable to judge someone as being bad, whom you've never met before, who has never done anything to you, soley based on what??

You fill in the blank....

And I'm refering to people of similuar education and class simply hanging out at the same place...high end place...

Let's not legitamize an illness...

Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
To me 'logic and reasoning' dictate what is considered sociopathic...

And it is not logical or reasonable to judge someone as being bad, whom you've never met before, who has never done anything to you, soley based on what??

You fill in the blank....

And I'm refering to people of similuar education and class simply hanging out at the same place...high end place...

Let's not legitamize an illness...
But if it's COMMON then how can it be sociopathic? To be a sociopath you have to deviate from the norm.

If it's society that sick then it's not sociopathic. In a sick society, the sociopaths are socially healthy. Or if everyone at a dinner table behaves a certain way except for one person, if anything, that one person is the sociopath.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
But if it's COMMON then how can it be sociopathic? To be a sociopath you have to deviate from the norm.

If it's society that sick then it's not sociopathic. In a sick society, the sociopaths are socially healthy. Or if everyone at a dinner table behaves a certain way except for one person, if anything, that one person is the sociopath.
Ahh...clever your...clever...

I totally get what your saying...

I can tell you'd be good at chess...

Last edited by Time and Space; 11-11-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I disagree. It makes no sense at all. Babies are not born with a hate gene nor a fear gene. They learn it from adults whom they trust and love. How many times does a child need to hear "They are not like us - before the child believes 'they' are not like me?

The biggest problem wth society is people will not take the time to learn who the stranger is or if you have anything in common with him. It makes no difference if it is a new employee in our company or a new neighbor in our block. It takes time and most people are not willing to invest the time in a stranger. Fear is the express elevator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
When I see new humans while in a resturant...

I never get uncomfortable...

And for sure not in a high scale business setting....

it's one thing if I'm in a dark alley...or the hills of Afganistan to encounter someone new to me, but while at an established social setting, where everyone there is dressed decent and professional, why would I cast suspicion on another who was of a different ethnic background...unless I was a 'sociopath'...

Makes sense to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago