Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 AM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times

Advertisements

So I am planning on moving out sometime in between November and Feburary. Ideally I am looking for a roommate that I know either as a friend or a friend of a friend. However, that is never a guarantee.

So have any of you ever had to move in with a roommate you didn't really know here in Chicago? What were your experiences? How did it turn out? What types of sources did you use to find them? I know Craigslist is a big one.

I am also considering a studio, but in general those are just harder to find and usually it is more expensive than compared when having a roommate. What I mean is you might be lucky and find a 2 bedroom for like $900 or so and you can split that, However studios at or less than $500 are hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 AM

439 posts, read 954,174 times
Where do they have 2 beds for $900?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
I have in the past and it worked out pretty well. You just need to meet with a bunch of people and figure out who you click with. My roommate was from CL and we ended up being pretty similar, can't really complain.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 AM

I found some in Ukranian Village, Avondale, Logan Square, Irving Park even every once and a while in Lincoln Square. Definitely won't find it in places like Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lakeview or Bucktown.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
I have in the past and it worked out pretty well. You just need to meet with a bunch of people and figure out who you click with. My roommate was from CL and we ended up being pretty similar, can't really complain.
Yeah that's why I want to ease myself into it. I would definitely meet the person first too see if we click.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
I found some in Ukranian Village, Avondale, Logan Square, Irving Park even every once and a while in Lincoln Square. Definitely won't find it in places like Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lakeview or Bucktown.
There you go. You can add some parts of Edgewater and Rogers Park to the list as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:58 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I would gladly pay an extra couple hundred bucks to live by myself than to deal with the headache of a roommate, friend or stranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsk1983 View Post
All over town.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I would gladly pay an extra couple hundred bucks to live by myself than to deal with the headache of a roommate, friend or stranger.

All over town.
Eh, it's more for financial reasons. While away at grad school I lived by myself, and it was nice, but really, you save a lot more money. It's just not rent, but also all the other bills you would split, like internet, cable or utilities.

Now a studio with utilities included that's a whole different story.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
A roommate is a bit of a hassle because of leases. All parties named on the lease are responsible both jointly and individually for the entire lease. So if a roommate bails and moves to Hawaii your landlord legally will still require you to pay the entire monthly rent. Happens all the time and one is left hanging. Your only option is to find a new roommate and your landlord must approve that individual (and many will do credit checks, verify employment, etc. before approving a new roommate). Or, you can sue the roommate who bailed for the rent but that almost never happens.

Anyway, need someone really reliable and financially sound (or better yet, as mentioned, get a studio in a neighborhood you can afford and avoid the hassles of entering into a legal contract with an unknown party).

Good luck with your move

p.s. roommates.com is kinda cool because it has photos and quite a bit of chicago roommate "inventory"

Old 08-09-2011, 02:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
A roommate is a bit of a hassle because of leases. All parties named on the lease are responsible both jointly and individually for the entire lease. So if a roommate bails and moves to Hawaii your landlord legally will still require you to pay the entire monthly rent. Happens all the time and one is left hanging. Your only option is to find a new roommate and your landlord must approve that individual (and many will do credit checks, verify employment, etc. before approving a new roommate).
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Eh, it's more for financial reasons. While away at grad school I lived by myself, and it was nice, but really, you save a lot more money. It's just not rent, but also all the other bills you would split, like internet, cable or utilities.

Now a studio with utilities included that's a whole different story.
soulful explains above quite well why rooming up is not necessarily a more financially attractive option than getting a studio by oneself. The risk of being stuck with someone else's financial obligations has a risk-cost in its own right, and paying a little more to live by yourself is like buying an insurance policy against that happening. A studio in a decent part of town with most utilities (minus internet) can be had starting at around $700/mo, maybe even less. As for internet, there are bound to be a whole lot of wi-fi signals within range. If you can't find an unencrypted one, figure out who the encrypted signals belong to and offer to split part of the cost with them if they'll let you hook up to it.

If you can't tell, my responses are based on having crappy roommate situations. I will live in a flophouse or a YMCA before taking on a roommate again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago