Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 PM

943 posts, read 3,333,853 times

Advertisements

This thread is just in time, I'll be in Chicago for the weekend and I want to purchase a CTA three day pass, is that good for both the train and bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 PM

427 posts, read 462,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMG1 View Post
This thread is just in time, I'll be in Chicago for the weekend and I want to purchase a CTA three day pass, is that good for both the train and bus?
Yes.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 PM

943 posts, read 3,333,853 times
Thanks!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:45 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
So the line that goes through the better areas should have been refurbished 1st?
Yes.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:54 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Not sure if poster means ''worst'' L line in terms of neighborhoods the line runs through or the conditions of the stations, cars and tracks. I would say the Red Line mainly because it has the dirtiest cars and more shady riders at all times. It is a popular line so that explains the dirty cars; but the CTA needs to stay on top of this and enforce the rules (no eating/drinking). The Green Line runs through some bad areas on the south and west sides but the tracks are smooth and the cars are much cleaner than the Red Line.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Not sure if poster means ''worst'' L line in terms of neighborhoods the line runs through or the conditions of the stations, cars and tracks. I would say the Red Line mainly because it has the dirtiest cars and more shady riders at all times. It is a popular line so that explains the dirty cars; but the CTA needs to stay on top of this and enforce the rules (no eating/drinking). The Green Line runs through some bad areas on the south and west sides but the tracks are smooth and the cars are much cleaner than the Red Line.
I ride the red line 5 days/week and I want to drink my coffee and read the paper. I hope they don't enforce no drinking on the train!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM

119 posts, read 249,738 times
I'm considering a move from New York to Chicago.

How does the Red Line compare with the NYC subway? Is it on par with the L or the 6 for rush hour congestion?

What about these "slow zones" I hear about? Friends I've talked to that live/have lived in Chicago have all warned me that the CTA is generally slower than the MTA.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM

16 posts, read 30,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm23 View Post
i've only been on purple, brown, red (north half) and blue (o'hare).

keeping in mind that i've never gone further south than Jackson on red line (so i may be misguided),

it's not as goddamn bad as everyone here is making it out to be. sure it's slow, but that's because it has to serve a lot of people.
this homeless guy started talking to me once and got off at the same station as me, after asking me where i was gonna get off, but he didn't follow me, so no harm done. otherwise, sometimes people blast rap music with 65% curse words, sometimes train gets overrun with sweaty cubs fans, but overall it's not as much of a mess as it sounds. in terms of cleanliness, it's at least average. i definitely wouldn't say "avoid this line". seriously, like 90% of the times i've been on it, it's been completely fine, no problems at all.
Agreed! Where I live (Metro Detroit) mass transit is nothing more than a dream in the minds of the few of us who would rather not drive everywhere...so the El is a wonderful thing. I ended up on the Red line right before a cubs game once, and sure it was very crowded (and I was getting off before Addison!) but people were fine and moved the best they could to let me out at my stop. Cleanliness and such...eh, it's not amazing, but it's definitely not what I'd consider unacceptable.

I know I don't have the experience with the El that the locals do, but from what I've used of it (red mostly, a bit of blue, and once on the pink line) it was good!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I'm considering a move from New York to Chicago.

How does the Red Line compare with the NYC subway? Is it on par with the L or the 6 for rush hour congestion?

What about these "slow zones" I hear about? Friends I've talked to that live/have lived in Chicago have all warned me that the CTA is generally slower than the MTA.
Chicago doesn't really do express trains like Manhattan does, so just by that measure it's gonna be slower. There is a rush-hour-only "Purple express" train that runs between Howard (far north boarder) and Belmont Red/Brown/PurpleExpress station, but it's not really comparable. From a crowding standpoint, the trains can get pretty crowded, although on the whole I'd say the CTA trains have less crush-loading than New York ones.

The slow zones are what they sound like - areas trains have to go slower for various reasons. Because the "L" is exposed to the weather, it deteriorates faster than subways do, although New York subways still do have some slow zones, too. I don't know if Chicagos are actually worse than New York's or not.

Don't be afraid of the buses here. Especially for the lakefront neighborhoods, express buses are often quite fast and efficient getting to downtown, and unlike the MTA, the CTA doesn't charge extra for express buses. With the addition of CTA BusTracker information, you can always tell when a bus is coming in real time, so it eliminated the dreaded blind waiting that is a large part of what makes bus travel annoying.

Also, in my experience, Chicago buses are physically nicer than New York's in most cases, and very extensive in coverage.

In short, New York beats Chicago hands down when it comes to train coverage, and mostly because of that is overall faster than Chicago when it comes to transit. But, Chicago does have very good coverage when you include the bus system and it's still convenient enough that, unlike LA, the demographics of the typical CTA rider are pretty much exactly the same as the demographics for Chicago at large - in other words, like in New York, most people across the spectrum are at least occasional public transit users here.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:12 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,163,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
...the CTA needs to ...enforce the rules (no eating/drinking).
Sorry, but drinking non-alcoholic beverages is not against the rules! It could actually be dangerous to have such a rule.

Eating on public transit is against the rules and VERY ANNOYING. It's a pet peeve of mine. These people who break open their McDonalds extra large big mac and fries meal are lowlifes... sorry, this is the bus, NOT your kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago