U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 04:13 AM

2 posts, read 12,885 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Chicago as a grad student at the SAIC during fall. While looking for housing, the Coop (http://www.noblesquarecoop.com/index.html) seemed like a good choice because of the proximity to the blue line and also the price. Searching the threads, Noble Square seems to be an okay place, some streets better than others, but a couple of posts mentioned that the building houses a lot of low income shady people. I'm wondering if living in the building is safe, and also if anyone knows how safe it is to walk from the blue line station to the apartment.

Other housing opinions are also welcome, my general budget being up to 1,200 a month, but I'd like to be in a decently safe area with convenient transport to the school. Thanks ahead of time for any advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 AM

427 posts, read 417,350 times
If you are a woman I say no way-don't move in there. If you are a guy you might be able to squeeze by, however the co-op is only one small step above a CHA housing project.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,969,384 times
If your budget is $1200 there's no resaon to consider such a sketchy building. You should be able to easily find something else in the neighborhood, which I generally consider to be pretty safe. I'd rather be by the Damen blue line stop than the Division for what it's worth.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM

12,063 posts, read 29,969,384 times
Like this one: 1406 N HONORE! THIS JUST IN! REHABBED 1B SEPT 1 MOVE IN! (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2552073416.html - broken link) (I actually rented from Peak -- they're not a great company, but they fixed things generally when necessary and were priced realyl well)

Or this place: HOT WICKER PARK (http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/apa/2540523539.html - broken link)

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 12,885 times
Thanks for the replies, and thank you aragx6 for the specific listings, I have a better idea of which kind of postings to look for now.

(The Damen over the Division stop is also worth knowing)

Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM

1 posts, read 6,300 times
First Noble Square is a coop and not a rental (huge difference).. Secondly it is extremely safe w/ 24 hour armed security and nothing like a CHA project. Yes the people who live there resided there for many years before the neighborhood changed (mostly africans, black, hispanic, asian, etc..) but that is the only similiarity.

There is an underground garage and it is steps to the blue line, bus stops, taxi stand, and other ammenities..

imo it is the safest place to live in the west side looking at crime maps in that area and from 5 years personal experience. Many single students and especially females live in the tower because of the safety and location. Damen stop is better if you like to go out and want proximity to bars and restaurants.. drawback is more crime, less parking, more cost, less space..

Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM

491 posts, read 1,054,730 times
No idea about the building but the area is great and you could have your pick of any 1 br you want in WP for that price. I'd personally much rather live in a walk-up around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>