Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfree View Post
I think this is really accurate. Most people in those neighborhoods just aren't accustomed to seeing anyone else around other than people who look like them. The reality is you stand out and people are curious and they will wonder what you're doing there.

Sad but true story, I took my 3 year old to the grocery store in our neighborhood once and there was a White guy there shopping. My son looked at him and asked "What are you doing here?" I was embarassed and shocked, but realized how limited his exposure to other races had been. He had a babysitter in the neighborhood, went to the park in the neighborhood, shopped in the neighborhood, etc, and those few trips to the Museum Campus had obviously not had much of an impression.

The fact of the matter is that we still live segregated lives either by choice or circumstances.
True story: Some years ago I was walking down the street when a young black kid, who couldn't have been more than ten years old, chewed me out for being there, made it clear to me I didn't belong there, and emphatically stated, "This is a black neighborhood!" I must admit, I was a bit shocked at being talked to like that.

And no, I wasn't walking around anywhere on the South or West Sides. I was walking down Clarendon Avenue between Montrose and Lawrence on the North Side.

Ah, the joys and wonders of living in the city...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:18 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,514,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So you have a problem with the messenger and not the message?
Both are ridiculous.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:44 PM

72 posts, read 110,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
It's basically the same in most big cities...

The "hate" given by people in areas on the west/south sides seems to be a lot more intense and vocal than anything I've seen on the north side.
What the "I hate white people" hate. Yea.. We know. LoL!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,883,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't see what's unfair about lumping the two together. They are contiguous and virtually identical in every meaningful way from the demographic makeup to the built environment. If you don't know which street divides one from the other, you wouldn't know where one stops and the other starts.
It is true there is no longer a "wrong side of Diversey" like when I grew up - but that was still a common description - by Lincoln Parkers, Gold Coasters, downtown kids - as late as the mid-late 80s. I had a friend who lived in the Hancock building who's parents wouldn't let him visit me when he found I was *gasp* north of Diversey. Unfortunately, when he finally did visit we both got harassed by cops near Lathrop while walking to the bowling alley.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It is true there is no longer a "wrong side of Diversey" like when I grew up - but that was still a common description - by Lincoln Parkers, Gold Coasters, downtown kids - as late as the mid-late 80s. I had a friend who lived in the Hancock building who's parents wouldn't let him visit me when he found I was *gasp* north of Diversey. Unfortunately, when he finally did visit we both got harassed by cops near Lathrop while walking to the bowling alley.
Yeah, I'm old enough to remember what Wrigleyville was like before it became "Wrigleyville." It was not a particularly nice area. Nowadays, the similarities between LP and LV far outnumber the differences.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I just removed more than several posts that did not contribute to a discussion of hate in Chicago neighborhoods.

I think this thread is worth keeping open and I do have a great faith that black and white Chicagoans can discuss this without the ugly comments from outsiders who comment for no other reason except to stir the pot.

I've lived ln large and small towns. Arrogance and hatred is not new; I've seen it from coast to coast. What I think is Chicago neighborhoods are not so much like LA or DAllas or even Atlanta, even though they look similar when driving down the streets. The trees and the soil change. When I lived in Chicago I never thoought of the many neighborhoods as a block away or by the lake, or 30 minutes from where I lived. I viewed them then, and still do on a map, as independent and not neccessarily connected to each other as lifelong neighbors even though they share a common border. To me whether it is Hyde Park or Lakeview or Streeterville it is just as indendent as Funk's Grove or Mason City.

Small town America is naturally suspicious of strangers. It is common for a small community to close ranks to outsiders especially if they "don't look like me." Most of the residents are decent hardworking people who will eventurally accept you if you take the time to make your intentions and prersence known. Time take time to pass. It takes more than one visit and one drink.

The thing to remember about bars and clubs is the owners have the right to exclude or deny access to one or all and it may not be based on race or dress. If it is busy it may be based on number of patrons allowed in building. If the meximum has been met, no one else is coming in until someone leaves.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't see what's unfair about lumping the two together. They are contiguous and virtually identical in every meaningful way from the demographic makeup to the built environment. If you don't know which street divides one from the other, you wouldn't know where one stops and the other starts.
Good thing both neighborhoods have the community name on the light poles on the main streets. Every community in Chicago should start doing this.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:25 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted View Post
When I drive through neighborhoods like Chatham and Roseland and see a white person I get shocked too haha . More often than not if you see a white person in some of those neighborhoods you listed, they're either buying drugs or are police officers.
I seen a white woman walking in Englewood before. She was fat and trailer Park-ish looking , which didn't make it that shocking. That is the type I usually see in Harvey.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I just removed more than several posts that did not contribute to a discussion of hate in Chicago neighborhoods.

I think this thread is worth keeping open and I do have a great faith that black and white Chicagoans can discuss this without the ugly comments from outsiders who comment for no other reason except to stir the pot.

I've lived ln large and small towns. Arrogance and hatred is not new; I've seen it from coast to coast. What I think is Chicago neighborhoods are not so much like LA or DAllas or even Atlanta, even though they look similar when driving down the streets. The trees and the soil change. When I lived in Chicago I never thoought of the many neighborhoods as a block away or by the lake, or 30 minutes from where I lived. I viewed them then, and still do on a map, as independent and not neccessarily connected to each other as lifelong neighbors even though they share a common border. To me whether it is Hyde Park or Lakeview or Streeterville it is just as indendent as Funk's Grove or Mason City.

Small town America is naturally suspicious of strangers. It is common for a small community to close ranks to outsiders especially if they "don't look like me." Most of the residents are decent hardworking people who will eventurally accept you if you take the time to make your intentions and prersence known. Time take time to pass. It takes more than one visit and one drink.

The thing to remember about bars and clubs is the owners have the right to exclude or deny access to one or all and it may not be based on race or dress. If it is busy it may be based on number of patrons allowed in building. If the meximum has been met, no one else is coming in until someone leaves.
Hey family. Dont ever tell someone else where their from or where theyve been. You dont know me or what part of the city im from. Dont delete my post because i told the TRUTH. I have the right to say whatever i like! Freedom of speech. Dont group me with people who come in here to troll. I was speaking TRUTH about things that go on in the city AND with race in general. Can you dig?

Old 08-30-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyMayfield View Post
F*** you. And I'll take that as a compliment.
Lmao!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago