Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,718 times

Advertisements

Any information to share on Sargent & Lundy on Monroe Street, Chicago?
I'm offered a job at this company and pretty sure I'll take it.
I know nothing about Chicago, other than I've always wanted to live there.

I have no idea where to start looking for rentals and would appreciate any help you folks can give.

2 adults, no children or pets. A 2 bedroom 2 bath would be perfect for us. We prefer walking to work instead of driving, and I'm told the L train stops in the same block at Sargent and Lundy offices, so I guess we could basically live anywhere the L train runs??

We would like a comfortable neighborhood within walking distance of restaurants and some shopping if possible. We're basically easy to please and our main "wants" are a nice place to live where we feel safe having family come to visit.

I don't even know where to begin my search and sure could use your help!

Many thanks,
Maddie Claire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,987,954 times
Budget?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM

I would really like to keep the budget around $2,000 per month.
Parking would be necessary.

Thanks so much!

I think one of the main things for us to consider is getting to and from work without driving. The office is located on E. Monroe St.

Last edited by MaddieClaire; 08-25-2011 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-25-2011, 09:09 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Monroe cuts through the heart of the loop, so that opens up neighborhoods off any transit line, the popular recs. will be off the blue/red lines and included Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Lake View, etc.

Parking will run 120-200 month which leaves a solid 1,800. For a 2/2, that will probably push you up to Lake View, go down to 2/1 and you can get something further south.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:17 AM

I can raise my rental budget to $2,500. if necessary. It would be nice living in an area with great views and things to do within walking distance.
We don't want to drive to work.

If you had your choice which area would you choose to live?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,574,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
I can raise my rental budget to $2,500. if necessary. It would be nice living in an area with great views and things to do within walking distance.

you won't have to walk to work.

Views to me means high-rise, options run from Lake View down through Lincoln Park, River North, Gold Cost, Streeterville.

If I had a 2500 a month budget, I'd rent a beautiful vintage apartment in the Lakewood Balmoral Historic District.

For you, look around River North.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:

Pretty much with that budget, you can live anywhere in the City. There are a few buildings that would charge more than $2,500 for a 2bed/2bath+parking, but you'd be able to find something suitable in any neighborhood in the city for that price.

So, other than being able to take the "L" to work, what do you want out of a neighborhood? Artsy and eclectic? International in the fresh-off-the-boat working-class immigrant sense? International in the French diplomat and Swiss banker sense? Lots of trees and quiet streets? Highrises? Single family homes? Something in between? What kind of food do you like? What do you anticipate using your car for?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Pretty much with that budget, you can live anywhere in the City. There are a few buildings that would charge more than $2,500 for a 2bed/2bath+parking, but you'd be able to find something suitable in any neighborhood in the city for that price.

So, other than being able to take the "L" to work, what do you want out of a neighborhood? Artsy and eclectic? International in the fresh-off-the-boat working-class immigrant sense? International in the French diplomat and Swiss banker sense? Lots of trees and quiet streets? Highrises? Single family homes? Something in between? What kind of food do you like? What do you anticipate using your car for?
I agree. With 2500 yoiu can live anywhere in the City. I personally would pay less and live near public transit. But I don't like spending a lot on rent.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM

What we really want is a nice area where we don't have to worry so much about safety.
Being able to get to and from shopping, restaurants, museums, ball parks, parks and recreation, the zoo, and just all the nice things the city has to offer. We love to walk.

We would basically use our car for grocery shopping (if necessary) and traveling over to Indiana and Ohio to visit family.

Getting to and from work on Monroe St. will be a big factor - whether it's city transit, walking, or cabs, it's high on our list.
We're not use to snow and ice, and (trust me) you won't want us driving in your city. LOL

We love sports, theatre, and all kinds of food. We're in our early 40's.

Right now we live in Uptown Charlotte NC in a highrise. The football stadium is right behind us and the arts district beside us.
My office is 3 blocks away.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
What we really want is a nice area where we don't have to worry so much about safety.
Being able to get to and from shopping, restaurants, museums, ball parks, parks and recreation, the zoo, and just all the nice things the city has to offer. We love to walk.

We would basically use our car for grocery shopping (if necessary) and traveling over to Indiana and Ohio to visit family.

Getting to and from work on Monroe St. will be a big factor - whether it's city transit, walking, or cabs, it's high on our list.
We're not use to snow and ice, and (trust me) you won't want us driving in your city. LOL

We love sports, theatre, and all kinds of food. We're in our early 40's.

Right now we live in Uptown Charlotte NC in a highrise. The football stadium is right behind us and the arts district beside us.
My office is 3 blocks away.
I say start in Lincoln Park near an express bus or the L. Safe, nice, walkable, restaurants, bars, etc. It's a good starting place for an intro to Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago