Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
... I don't even know what this statement is supposed to mean.
Youre not the only one scratching your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 04:09 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think it means "let's see how long I last on this board." I've got my money on "doesn't make it to the end of November."
try "doesn't make it to 5 pm"

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
try "doesn't make it to 5 pm"
Dang, I was gonna bet that they didnt last until the end of the day.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
speaking of the south loop....(im pretty almost none of these buildings existed 5 years ago. the amazing thing is this would comprise most cities entire skylines. in chicago, it gets lost in the shuffle )

Old 11-24-2007, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,421 times
I am in AWE. Stunning doesn’t even begin to describe what I am seeing. I have been an admirer of contemporary architecture most of my life and nothing compares to this when you take in account the other amazing points about Chicago (green spaces, waterfront, etc.)

Made my mind up to move in the next 5 years from Boston… think I’m kidding?

Old 11-24-2007, 09:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think it means "let's see how long I last on this board." I've got my money on "doesn't make it to the end of November."
I would agree. Still a week left....!

Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM

3 posts, read 8,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognito View Post
These buildings are so tacky. They are sterile and plastic and lifeless. The are based on typical Dirty Capitalistic American greed. They dont add anything to an already ugly city. Bigger is NOT better. Taller is NOT better. BETTER is BETTER. Why dont these so called "architects" design something that actually has some some class instead of focusing on how much glass and steel they can fuse together to make as much money on as small a plot of land as possible. How repulsive.
Why do we make large, tall buildings in Capitalistic America? Because we can.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:17 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I agree that a lot of the high-rise development in Chicago has been sub-par in terms of architectural integrity, but much of it has been really great as well. And the cumulative effect of building a "skyline" is truly stunning. Luckily, a skyline doesn't need every building to be a standout.

We do need to worry about how what we're building tranforms neighborhoods at the pedestrian level, however. Too many of Chicago's new high-rises have pre-cast concrete parking podiums at or just above the street level. This is creating neighborhoods of towers that are disturbingly disconnected from the street. We as Chicagoans either need to embrace public transportation and abandon parking requirements, or we need to insist on underground parking. As it stands now, no developer would pay for underground parking in Chcago because of the expense and the ridiculous number of spaces required by zoning.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:18 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
By the way, what is the sort of tapering tower pictured near the NBC tower? I'm not sure I've heard of this one yet...

Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,634,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I agree that a lot of the high-rise development in Chicago has been sub-par in terms of architectural integrity, but much of it has been really great as well. And the cumulative effect of building a "skyline" is truly stunning. Luckily, a skyline doesn't need every building to be a standout.

We do need to worry about how what we're building tranforms neighborhoods at the pedestrian level, however. Too many of Chicago's new high-rises have pre-cast concrete parking podiums at or just above the street level. This is creating neighborhoods of towers that are disturbingly disconnected from the street. We as Chicagoans either need to embrace public transportation and abandon parking requirements, or we need to insist on underground parking. As it stands now, no developer would pay for underground parking in Chcago because of the expense and the ridiculous number of spaces required by zoning.
i agree. the near north side has singlehandedly been ruined due to poor architecture and bad planning. while Chicago does get great projects now and then, we are being nickled and dimed to death. these hideous precast po-mo towers plopped on top of a 5 story parking podium are sins against man. what was once a walkable neighborhood filled with old brick warehouses and lofts has been desecrated. this is what tends to get overlooked in all the hoopla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago