Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times

Advertisements

Hello -- My husband and I grew up in a western suburb of Chicago and have lived in the Phoenix area for more than twenty years, so we have knowledge of both metro areas. Chicago is a great city with many wonderful people and Phoenix is too. It takes involvement and effort to make friends; you can make friends anywhere. I don't believe traffic is any worse in Chicago with respect to traffic jams. You will, however, find you will need to allow more time for a commute to and from a job in the winter months in the Chicago area due to ice and snow on the roads. And if you a homeowner, or a renter who is required to shovel the snow as part of a lease agreement, this will take extra time --- sometimes both in the morning before you leave for work and also in the evening when you get home. You also will need to allow extra time to warm up your car before you can drive it, and perhaps to scrape ice off the windshield at the end of the day. These things add extra time to the daily commute in the winter. Living where you can take public transportation is a wonderful idea -- it can save you thousands of dollars over the years if you live near and use public transportation, either the train or the bus. One thing a previous poster failed to mention was the monthly cost of a METRA ticket -- it could be between $75 and $116.00 a month, plus possible cost of parking at the train station or bus fare to and from the station, possibly at both ends. And the cost of housing is more; like the Phoenix area, housing is cheaper in the outer suburbs. However, just like in Phoenix, transportation and time costs added on to the cost of the lower priced home way out of town can add up quickly. Property taxes are more than double the price in Phoenix, but you are paying for more services (like snow plowing) and may be paying for union wages and retirement. Keep in mind that buying property in a county island (vs inside a particular city's limits) may bring cheaper taxes but you also may get less in services, such as snow plowing, fire protection, and access to a public library [it is the same way here in Maricopa County except no snow!]One thing we really miss about the Chicago area: on the 4th of July, folks are proud to fly the American flag on their homes. Here in the Phoenix area, we notice that a much smaller % of people take the trouble to fly the American flag on holidays. The Midwest is a bit more traditional, I think. Chicago is a great city -- lots of fun things to do. The secret is being able to keep up with the high cost of living and then having money left over for fun activities. Try the Forest Preserves - they are free and wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:32 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
One thing a previous poster failed to mention was the monthly cost of a METRA ticket -- it could be between $75 and $116.00 a month, plus possible cost of parking at the train station or bus fare to and from the station, possibly at both ends.

I take Metra every single day. I pay $58 a month for an unlimited ride ticket (zone B). now tell me what i would pay in gas, car maintenance, downtown daily parking, wasted time, and aggravation by driving. Altogether, its around 20 minutes for me to get to the Loop (and thats with 3 other stop. if i catch a direct train its 12 minutes). I walk 2 blocks from my house to the station. Public transit is a no brainer. If I never have to own a car, I would be content.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:54 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
One thing a previous poster failed to mention was the monthly cost of a METRA ticket -- it could be between $75 and $116.00 a month, plus possible cost of parking at the train station or bus fare to and from the station, possibly at both ends.
I'm going to guess the OP didn't assume public transportation is free. $115/mo plus a few bucks parking is still a bargain compared to the $250-300/mo it costs to park downtown, plus the $100+ in gas you'll burn through each month (unless we see a significant drop in gas prices), plus the accelerated depreciation on your car, plus the more frequent maintenance intervals. Add all those up and what does it equal?

It equals Metra trains packed to the gills with commuters who have also done the math.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:58 AM

34 posts, read 39,681 times
the weather! Buy your heavy coats ahead of time-- you wont find a big selection in January trust me-- I moved from the sunbelt to to Chicago 10 yrs ago. Get ready for days that 20 degrees is the high!-- People go to work on snow days even if there is 6-8 inches of snow coming down-- find a community to live in that has good METRA rail, "L," or bus transportation-- You wont want to be driving on those days! Be prepared to pay at least double in housing and at least 30-50 cents more for gasoline. Those are the big bites!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 PM

124 posts, read 413,486 times
Drover no I did not assume public transportation is free. Hollyhockgarden well all of that stuff you wrote was also good info. Iam a native of AZ and went to Chicago every year to visit family and what you said at the bottom is exactly what attracts me to Chicago I love the tradition and there is always something to do and that is what I want my kids to have growing up. I figure when I retire then it will be about me but right now I want the best place for my kids and I want them to have the best opportunities. jrandolph Iam fine with 20 degree weather its winter time it is suppose to be cold. Im sure by April I would need a break but then its Spring Break and I would probably take a vacation to AZ so the kids can see the Grandparents.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:15 PM

8 posts, read 29,421 times
Also get used to a general lack of sunshine from mid December thru March. We're sitting between the Rockies and the Appalachians so we're sort of in a bowl. The clouds sit over us for quite a few days in winter.

But...that's a great time to catch up on movies, check out restaurants that don't have patios in summer, museums, and theater.

As everyone has posted, public transit in Chicago, while not perfect, is very good. You'll be able to ditch the car for most trips if you live inside the city limits and for trips downtown if you live in a Metra-serviced suburb.

Also get used to everyone out in shorts and sandals in April We love our summers here in the Midwest and especially in Chicago. We can't wait for the first 40degree day! The convertibles come out and the sandals go on. I'm totally serious here. And we try to find a bar or restaurant that will let us sit outside before the typical May 1st patio licenses go into effect.

Farmer's markets in most communities (inc the city) begin mid-to-late June and last until mid-October. They are a summertime treat and full of amazing things.

You and your children will find plenty of cultural things to do in Chicago and out beyond. The Midwest in general is very family-centric but still a good place for singles as well so you get a nice mix. Don't forget long weekend trips to nearby Milwaukee, Harbor Country Michigan, Springfield, Wisconsin Dells, and apple, corn, strawberry picking.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:26 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
All the above posts are pretty much right on target. Via Chicago, especially summed it up well. I love Chicago, but moved back west due to job reasons, (but I love the west, as well!).

I would add that drivers are not that bad in Chicago. Yes, it is congested, but I think east coast, namely Boston, NY, Philly, and Miami drivers are much ruder.

The food. Absolutely the best in the U.S. One good result in moving away has been a drop of about 15 pounds!

You will be trading heat for humidity, but even the humidity is not constant, usually with a break after a few days. Winters? The two that I spent there were not all that bad, but I understand they can be. And just when you think Spring has sprung, winter returns.

My favorite memory of Chicago is flying into O'Hare and just amazed at how big the area really is, spreading out in all directions for what seems to be an endless metro area. Impressive, to say the least.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
My favorite memory of Chicago is flying into O'Hare and just amazed at how big the area really is, spreading out in all directions for what seems to be an endless metro area. Impressive, to say the least.
You mean like this?

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/9329/58840644687e0341c6bph0.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-22-2007, 08:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Yes, like that. But at night you lose a little perspective. Flying in during the daytime is even more impressive because you see details. I'm sorry, but flying into O'Hare anytime of day or night, any type of weather, is a rush! Thanks for the photos though...

Old 08-28-2007, 09:00 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfw1031 View Post

Also get used to everyone out in shorts and sandals in April We love our summers here in the Midwest and especially in Chicago. We can't wait for the first 40degree day! The convertibles come out and the sandals go on. I'm totally serious here. And we try to find a bar or restaurant that will let us sit outside before the typical May 1st patio licenses go into effect.

One of my favorite things is how when we have our first 40 degree day after summer, it feels so cold, you're just freezing. Then, when we have our first 40 degree day after winter (though it can hit 40 even in January) it feels so warm out you're wearing shorts. Amazing how your perspective changes, depending on whether you've just spent 3 months sweating through summer, or 6 month freezing through winter, and it's the same temperature!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago