Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM

25 posts, read 41,900 times

Advertisements

Need some feedback on a parking ticket situation.

I just got a parking ticket ("Expired meter or overstay" violation) even though I had over an hour and a half left on my paid metered sticker. It was placed on the side dash facing the sidewalk on the passenger's side where I always place it to make it more visible to the person from the sidewalk.

I'm still waiting for the photo to upload online, but if I can't see the sticker in the photo should I still contest it? What evidence should I include other than the sticker itself (should I also include a photo of where the sticker was placed?)...will I lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
By all means, contest it. Copy the sticker and send in the copy with the ticket.

Then, sit down, put your wallet on the floor between your feet, and kiss your money goodbye! If they deny your contest of the ticket, it only costs about $200 to file for administrative review.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
I'd contest it. The process is very easy, and the most annoying part is taking the time to go down and actually contest it.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times
Contest it by mail....then you don't have to go anywhere. Include pictures, a letter explaining what happened and proving your case and a copy of the parking sticker proving you had time left. It has a time stamp on it so if it falls in the same time the ticket was written you should be fine. If anything it will buy you some time to save up to pay the ticket...you might not hear back from them for a month or so. If you don't hear back then you don't have to pay.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:42 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Welcome to Chicago, home of the Random Arbitrary Tax aka B.S. parking ticket.

Ticket case brings discipline - chicagotribune.com

Old 08-30-2011, 04:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,646 times
Contest it. Include a detailed letter and copies of all supporting documentation. Unless something has changed, you can do so by mail.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
By all means, contest it. Copy the sticker and send in the copy with the ticket.
Then, sit down, put your wallet on the floor between your feet, and kiss your money goodbye! If they deny your contest of the ticket, it only costs about $200 to file for administrative review.
Wait, so if I contest it and fail to prove my case, instead of paying the $50 dollars, I have to pay $200?

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to contest it. Should I put the actual sticker and keep a copy for myself or the other way around?
By the way, does anyone know how long it takes for them to put up the photo?

Old 08-30-2011, 06:45 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychStudent22 View Post
Wait, so if I contest it and fail to prove my case, instead of paying the $50 dollars, I have to pay $200?
If you contest it and lose (or lose at a hearing) you are stuck. That is, unless you want to file for administrative review. That has a high standard to meet in order to get a decision reversed ("against the manifest weight of the evidence") and it costs about $200 to file.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:57 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychStudent22 View Post

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to contest it. Should I put the actual sticker and keep a copy for myself or the other way around?
By the way, does anyone know how long it takes for them to put up the photo?
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I would be VERY LEERY about mailing in the actual sticker to a large bureaucracy where it would be in their interest to lose it. I would send a copy, and state that the original is available upon request. But if someone else knows better, follow his advice.

In regards to the photo, do you mean how long should it take City-Data to put up the photo? That should happen immediately with your posting.

And yes, I would fight this. The time stamp on the parking sticker and the time written on the ticket provide you with excellent evidence to support your case.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:15 PM

Makes sense, I will take your advice and send in a copy, sounds like the better option.

As for the photo, no, what I'm referring to is my citation photo. My ticket said on the top that the violation is supported by a photo and that it's on the website, but it's still not there...maybe it takes a day or two to process-but that's annoying since you have to mail in the money/contest within a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: