Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I have recently moved to Chicago and I am currently renting in the Western suburbs. I work in River North and am looking to move closer to work, and possibly purchase a home around / near this area.

Generally, my search parameters are --
1. Should be in a 15-20 minute commute distance of Magnificient Mile.
2. I have a dog and would like a small backyard; that's why I am thinking about townhomes or condos with private terraces.
3. Safety is absolutely important; me and my wife like to go out on walks after dinner and would like to live in a very safe neighborhood.
4. Atleast a 2 Bedroom unit.
5. Price range of around 300K.

Can you suggest me any areas / options that would fit what I am looking for. I appreciate all your help.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 04:41 AM

78 posts, read 86,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_1122 View Post
that's why I am thinking about townhomes or condos with private terraces.
That is going to be really tough to find for the amount you can spend.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:54 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
I think you can probably find a decent place for 300k, I don't know about a townhome though.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Generally, my search parameters are --
1. Should be in a 15-20 minute commute distance of Magnificient Mile.
2. I have a dog and would like a small backyard; that's why I am thinking about townhomes or condos with private terraces.
3. Safety is absolutely important; me and my wife like to go out on walks after dinner and would like to live in a very safe neighborhood.
4. Atleast a 2 Bedroom unit.
5. Price range of around 300K.
1) What will be your method of commuting? Transit? Walking? Biking? Driving? Yes, it will make a difference in what recommendations you get.

2) How big is the dog?

3) Good thing you mentioned that, otherwise we'd have set you up in a deathtrap.

4) Ok.

5) Plenty of condos in this price range. Townhomes or any places with real outdoor space in the central area at this price range come in a much more limited selection. Not impossible, but harder.

Answer number 1) first, as it makes a material difference in what we can recommend.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:59 AM

Here you go, listed at $319k. Commute might be closer to 30 minutes, depending on how you're commuting and how far north you're going but otherwise it appears to meet all your requirements.

1113 south park terrace Chicago Real Estate Homes For Sale | Jameson Sotheby's International Realty

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,849 times
There are plenty of online sites with MLS listings for you to get a feel for what 300k will get you in the River North area yourself. Redfin, trulia, etc....

Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,319 times
Thanks all for your replies.

@emathias

I will be commuting by either driving or by public transit. I have a place to park at work, so parking over there is not an issue. Also, I have a Maltese dog, around 20 pounds in weight.

I know, private terraces and all sounds very exotic, but I was not sure what my choices were. My only requirement is that my dog needs to go out in the middle of the night and I am leery of getting all ready and taking him out on the street. Any place with a dog run would do too.

Regards.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies.

@emathias

I will be commuting by either driving or by public transit. I have a place to park at work, so parking over there is not an issue. Also, I have a Maltese dog, around 20 pounds in weight.

I know, private terraces and all sounds very exotic, but I was not sure what my choices were. My only requirement is that my dog needs to go out in the middle of the night and I am leery of getting all ready and taking him out on the street. Any place with a dog run would do too.

Regards.
If you're driving, the location of that townhome I linked to would be within 15-20 minutes of the N. Michigan area. If you like that place, or any other place within that particular development, be sure to ask whether there are easy, walkabout routes between it and the new stuff on Roosevelt Road, like the Target, ICON cinema, etc. I'm not sure how porous the perimeter fencing is - whether you could get out, cross the street and walk to the theatre, for example, or if you'd have to walk all the way to Polk first.

You could also try the Ukrainian Village area along Chicago Ave. There are some fixer-upper single family homes in your general price range in that area and it's a pretty interesting area.

There are also townhomes occasionally, like this one: http://www.jameson.com/469NorthArmourStreet469

Last edited by emathias; 08-31-2011 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: