Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:16 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by untuchableface View Post
However, the sales tax in Chicago is sky rocket. I don't know what it is in NYC but they don't have sales tax in PA, making Philly, yet again, a bit more livable.
As a former resident of PA, I can confidently state you're incorrect about this. Pennsylvania certainly does have a sales tax (6% if I recall correctly); and when I was in Philly recently, the sales tax on some items was as high as 11%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 09:33 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,166 times
I had thought about moving to NYC but changed my mind when I found out I would have to sell my soul to get an apartment there. I have always been interested in Chicago and am glad it isn't crazy with the rents like NYC is.

I know crime can be everywhere nowadays but what neighborhoods in Chicago are considered safer for women to live in.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:12 AM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
"I would agree with everyone. If you are from a small town, people may think Chicago is super overpriced. Compared to NYC, it's the price of living in a small town :-) Think $1500 for a large 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood of $2000 for a small studio where you can't open the front door if you have the bathroom door open....no comparison"

Ugh you can get a decent 2 bedroom in a decent area for like 800 if you know what you are doing...!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:08 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Yeah, but the point is a REALLY nice 2 bedroom that is large in a GREAT area for $1500.....just to emphasize that that would be impossible in new york

Old 08-18-2007, 10:25 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I have to agree with Drover on this one. The rent prices in Chicago neighborhoods seem to be about one third of the rent prices in comparable areas of NYC. Our cost of living is a lot more like that of Philly. If you have a strong preference for the East Coast culture (but also want the lower cost of living), and still need quick proximity to New York and the BosWash corridor via ground transportation then I'd recommend Philadelphia. If you are open to a very large, vibrant Midwestern metropolis that continues to grow, has an affordable cost of living, and has a very diverse economy (but has a bit slower pace than NYC keep in mind), then Chicago is it.
This is a good post.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:05 PM

169 posts, read 456,134 times
If you're from NYC, Chicago is cheap. If you're from just about anywhere in mid-America besides Chicago (as many Chicagoans are), Chicago is expensive.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:50 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times
hey it sounds GREAT that chicago is that affordable, CAN YOU IMAGINE LIVING IN A 2 BEDROOM APARTMENT FOR 1500 IN NEW YORK??? THATS HOW BAD IT IS IN THIS AREA!!....haha youll be grossed out to know that the walls move (hint hint).....if you dont get that ill tell you in my next post what that means

Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM

413 posts, read 1,368,166 times
I was planning on moving to NYC from Florida. When I looked up apartments I couldn't even afford a studio apartment. I can't believe they can get away with charging so much for apartments that are not that special. And when you include roaches and rodents it just isn't worth it. I would have to have at least 3 jobs just to make rent.

When I checked Chicago apartments I was surprised to find ones I could afford. I don't need a place with marble floors and chandeliers in every room type of place but I want something nice for my money.

How are salaries in Chicago? I hope they are better than they are in Florida.
I live in Lakeland which is in between Tampa and Orlando. Finding any good paying jobs here is near to impossible and with the price of gas I can't go to Tampa or Orlando to look for a better job.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:05 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,385 times
Chicago most likely seconds (if Boston doesn't) NYC in salary so dont worry about that

Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Obviously salaries are dependent on the line of work you're in. Being one of the largest business centers in the US, white collar corporate jobs are in abundance here. On the other hand, due to the strength of unions, blue collar jobs tend to pay relatively well here, definitely better than in the south. Also, the state minimum wage was raised recently, which should end up bumping up wages across the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago