Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 852 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I have three years experience teaching special education and just got my masters degree. I'm heavily considering moving back to Chicago, but struggling to figure out how to go about a job search long distance. (I'm in Georgia right now.) By the way, I recently was able to secure SPED certification for Illinois. I'd also be open to positions in the private sector that make sense with a masters in education - if that makes any sense. Can anyone recommend a course of action? Please, I'm not interested in hearing from negative Nellies and Nelsons, but positive, helpful comments are genuinely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,196,783 times
You said you have three years of teaching experience, but didn't mention if you are currently working. If so, it will be especially hard to leave for job interviews.

I have a friend who is in a situation similar to yours right now. Living in Chicago and interviewing out of state and has been sending out resumes and then flying to individual job interviews as they are offered.
However, that is very expensive since most schools don't pay for travel.

You could arrange to come to Chicago for a specific Monday to Friday time period (if not working or you could take off) and then send your resume stating you will "be in the Chicago area from x date to x date and would appreciate the opportunity to meet with you". Do a resume blast to every possible employer giving them the dates you will be in town and then hope you can schedule a bunch of interviews.

Wish I could offer something else but can't think of anything Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: