Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:40 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Read an interesting article in Newsweek about an FBI filed agent in Minnesota tipped off by a flight school in MN about a suspicious student. According to the agent he tried, along with the MN station chief to get permission from higher ups in Washington for a warrant , but it geither was not taken seriously or ignored. Of course the decision maker in Washington accused of not acting on the information right away denied and made excuses.
So was this recent?
Not too far back it seems as if I recall another incident in MN.

Or maybe I am thinking about one of the terrorists went to a flight school in MN.

Just goes to show you how crazy our national security system is after all this time.

After watching some pretty interesting programs on the 9-11 attacks.

I realized there were things that i totally missed or forgot.

One thing i realized was just how disconnected our country has been the past few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Yes one decade with a very minor gain.
Looking at city population gain instead of metro area population gain is not complete. It's like the girl who says, look "I gained 2 cup sizes" but doesn't notice she also gained 30 pounds- an incomplete view!

As far as Chicago's economic ranking today vs. 1955 well the cities in 2011 are ranked NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, Chicago. Now if it has fallen since 1955 it is because of globalization and the rise of places like Hong Kong and Tokyo and not because of Chicago's decline. It is also quite amazing that after all this time Los Angeles has still not surpassed Chicago in that regard, illustrating how much further behind other cities you mentioned are.[/quote]

I think what is suprising about Chicago is how narrow minded the people are here to the outside world. Has China really invested anything in Chicago with all the work Daley did? No. But they have invested hundreds of millions in Phoenix. When Katrina hit New Orleans and the largest copper producer Freeport-McMoRan (number 136 of fortune 500) where did they go? Phoenix. When intel built it's new plant years back it did not pick Chicagoland but the Phoenix suburb of Chandler for the plant and same for Amazon when it put one of the largest plants in the city of phoenix.
No doubt Phoenix continues to grow and attract new residents and businesses. But Chicago and its suburbs continue to attract new businesses as well. Narrow minded to the outside world??!! No way! To many of us are immigrants, 1st or 2nd generation and we have links to many parts of the world and often travel to these places. Heck, quite a few of us speak multiple languages.

ASU is putting up what will be one of the most advanced cancer centers in the United States in downtown Phoenix. Mayo clinic has bought so much land for a hospital and research center in Phoenix, it will actually be a city within a city and one of the largest in the country. Onsemiconductors is HQed in Phoenix (90% chance their product is in your computer). I could go on and on and on and have not even touched Petsmart, Avnet, Apollo Group and so many others. Both ASU and U of A are expanding in downtown Phoenix. I was amazed at the first class public transit and the expansion that is going to be taking place of lightrail system.

The point is Chicago is very ignorant when it comes to the outside world and the HUGE gains that are being made in other cities. Rather then accept the reality that there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed Chicagoans would rather find someway to deflect problems and when there are small gains they are overplayed. Ask a Chicagoan if NYC is better then Chicago and you will get "they may be larger but we are better". Ask a Chicagoan about upcomming cities that are likely to surpass it in the future and you will get "but they are not as large as us yet are they?" The spin is unreal.

Uh no. I would say NYC is different and a world class city. I would say that we are too. To say one is better depends on personal preference. ANd, get this, one can be excellent while the other one is too!

Pick up a Chicago Tribune lately? There are many critical articles about problems and shortcomings in Chicago and Illinois.
[/quote]Honestly legitimate criticism of Chicago's public policy and how everything can effect the future of the city is something I welcome. However your preaching the inevitable decline of Chicago is not only something I disagree with for logical reasons grounded in fact but also I find your pessimism disturbing and if you claim to care for Chicago your lack of loyalty is repulsive to me. I am sorry but I just can't take somebody seriously who states as if it's inevitable that Chicago will be the 5th largest city without wondering if you have something emotionally invested in Chicago's decline. I have laid my emotions about Chicago on the table but I also have a lot of reason to back up my arguments and most serious urban scholars agree with me. The question I wonder is what chip you have on your shoulders and when you say others agree with you I imagine your probably mean your average joe blow on the street and armchair critics of the city who might have some valid points but have caught the glass is half empty bug. I am an optimist and you seem to be a pessimist. Maybe that is the key and why I shouldn't take what you say personally because someone like you would have said NYC was finished in 1975 because it went bankrupt or for that matter Chicago with all it's de-industrialization. Honestly that Steve Bartin quote 2008 has insights into the challenges of the city but taken by itself is only focusing on the negative glass if half empty mentality. You can make any place seem in bad shape if you cherry pick to suit your worldview. So my counter evidence about all these corporations is Groupon being headquartered in downtown Chicago and several financial firms just this summer that chose to relocated downtown with Sara Lee considering a move downtown. Companies are following the talent that want to live and work downtown and that will benefit Chicago, can the city possibly do more to promote this? Sure but considering we are still in a recession the economic news has not all been bad.[/quote]

I agree. Mayor Emanuel I think is going to be one to get things done and is in my opinion one of the few who MIGHT be able to do a turnaround..time will tell. Unfortunatly I will not be around to see it as I hope to be in Phoenix in the next few years.[/quote][/quote]

Oh and please don't speak in absolute generalities, it really diminishes some good points you are trying to make. Saying "some Chicagoans are narrow-minded or ignorant" instead of "Chicagoans are....", may seem like semantics, but it is like saying Phoenix is a brown, ugly desert sprawl city instead of "A few parts of Phoenix are a brown, ugly desert sprawl city"
The first statement is ignorant because it's not true. The 2nd statement is more nuanced and reflects what is more accurate.

And I am not dissing Phoenix, just trying to make a point. It's like my wife saying "You never do anything around the house" and then I recount vacuuming, doing dishes, doing trash and then her nuanced and accurate statement of "you haven't unloaded the dishwasher in a long time" comes out.

Sorry Chicago isn't working out for you and good luck in Phoenix, but please keep your negative energy from seeing the half-filled glass as completely empty. Because it typically never is all full or all empty but somewhere in between.
[/quote]

Population changes constantly , I dont know much about NYC primarily because it is not anyplace near the Chicago Metropolitan Area and its just not in my everyday thoughts.

I have noticed NYC went thru a great decline from the 40's all the way up until the year 2000.

Not bashing NYC on this but just noticed this and never realized until I started to read into the threads lately
1950 7,891,957
1960 7,781,984
1970 7,894,862
1980 7,071,639
1990 7,322,564
This is certainly a big loss of population and I am assuming it followed the national trends of people moving into the suburban areas of NY.

My intake on Chicago's decrease in population is not one that is negative
the area grew and no one can dispute that fact.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Yes one decade with a very minor gain.
Looking at city population gain instead of metro area population gain is not complete. It's like the girl who says, look "I gained 2 cup sizes" but doesn't notice she also gained 30 pounds- an incomplete view!

As far as Chicago's economic ranking today vs. 1955 well the cities in 2011 are ranked NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, Chicago. Now if it has fallen since 1955 it is because of globalization and the rise of places like Hong Kong and Tokyo and not because of Chicago's decline. It is also quite amazing that after all this time Los Angeles has still not surpassed Chicago in that regard, illustrating how much further behind other cities you mentioned are.[/quote]

I think what is suprising about Chicago is how narrow minded the people are here to the outside world. Has China really invested anything in Chicago with all the work Daley did? No. But they have invested hundreds of millions in Phoenix. When Katrina hit New Orleans and the largest copper producer Freeport-McMoRan (number 136 of fortune 500) where did they go? Phoenix. When intel built it's new plant years back it did not pick Chicagoland but the Phoenix suburb of Chandler for the plant and same for Amazon when it put one of the largest plants in the city of phoenix.
No doubt Phoenix continues to grow and attract new residents and businesses. But Chicago and its suburbs continue to attract new businesses as well. Narrow minded to the outside world??!! No way! To many of us are immigrants, 1st or 2nd generation and we have links to many parts of the world and often travel to these places. Heck, quite a few of us speak multiple languages.

ASU is putting up what will be one of the most advanced cancer centers in the United States in downtown Phoenix. Mayo clinic has bought so much land for a hospital and research center in Phoenix, it will actually be a city within a city and one of the largest in the country. Onsemiconductors is HQed in Phoenix (90% chance their product is in your computer). I could go on and on and on and have not even touched Petsmart, Avnet, Apollo Group and so many others. Both ASU and U of A are expanding in downtown Phoenix. I was amazed at the first class public transit and the expansion that is going to be taking place of lightrail system.

The point is Chicago is very ignorant when it comes to the outside world and the HUGE gains that are being made in other cities. Rather then accept the reality that there is a serious problem that needs to be addressed Chicagoans would rather find someway to deflect problems and when there are small gains they are overplayed. Ask a Chicagoan if NYC is better then Chicago and you will get "they may be larger but we are better". Ask a Chicagoan about upcomming cities that are likely to surpass it in the future and you will get "but they are not as large as us yet are they?" The spin is unreal.

Uh no. I would say NYC is different and a world class city. I would say that we are too. To say one is better depends on personal preference. ANd, get this, one can be excellent while the other one is too!

Pick up a Chicago Tribune lately? There are many critical articles about problems and shortcomings in Chicago and Illinois.
[/quote]Honestly legitimate criticism of Chicago's public policy and how everything can effect the future of the city is something I welcome. However your preaching the inevitable decline of Chicago is not only something I disagree with for logical reasons grounded in fact but also I find your pessimism disturbing and if you claim to care for Chicago your lack of loyalty is repulsive to me. I am sorry but I just can't take somebody seriously who states as if it's inevitable that Chicago will be the 5th largest city without wondering if you have something emotionally invested in Chicago's decline. I have laid my emotions about Chicago on the table but I also have a lot of reason to back up my arguments and most serious urban scholars agree with me. The question I wonder is what chip you have on your shoulders and when you say others agree with you I imagine your probably mean your average joe blow on the street and armchair critics of the city who might have some valid points but have caught the glass is half empty bug. I am an optimist and you seem to be a pessimist. Maybe that is the key and why I shouldn't take what you say personally because someone like you would have said NYC was finished in 1975 because it went bankrupt or for that matter Chicago with all it's de-industrialization. Honestly that Steve Bartin quote 2008 has insights into the challenges of the city but taken by itself is only focusing on the negative glass if half empty mentality. You can make any place seem in bad shape if you cherry pick to suit your worldview. So my counter evidence about all these corporations is Groupon being headquartered in downtown Chicago and several financial firms just this summer that chose to relocated downtown with Sara Lee considering a move downtown. Companies are following the talent that want to live and work downtown and that will benefit Chicago, can the city possibly do more to promote this? Sure but considering we are still in a recession the economic news has not all been bad.[/quote]

I agree. Mayor Emanuel I think is going to be one to get things done and is in my opinion one of the few who MIGHT be able to do a turnaround..time will tell. Unfortunatly I will not be around to see it as I hope to be in Phoenix in the next few years.[/quote][/quote]

Oh and please don't speak in absolute generalities, it really diminishes some good points you are trying to make. Saying "some Chicagoans are narrow-minded or ignorant" instead of "Chicagoans are....", may seem like semantics, but it is like saying Phoenix is a brown, ugly desert sprawl city instead of "A few parts of Phoenix are a brown, ugly desert sprawl city"
The first statement is ignorant because it's not true. The 2nd statement is more nuanced and reflects what is more accurate.

And I am not dissing Phoenix, just trying to make a point. It's like my wife saying "You never do anything around the house" and then I recount vacuuming, doing dishes, doing trash and then her nuanced and accurate statement of "you haven't unloaded the dishwasher in a long time" comes out.

Sorry Chicago isn't working out for you and good luck in Phoenix, but please keep your negative energy from seeing the half-filled glass as completely empty. Because it typically never is all full or all empty but somewhere in between.
[/quote]

CUBSSOX you have some great comments in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago