Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
When I lived there, everyone seemed to be from either Illinois or a surrounding state. Excluding immigrants. You would think there would be more people from all the country given the population, but there are not. Very small percent of residents from all over the country, compared to Dallas, or even Tampa. Probably the weather, no one wants to pay that much to live in Siberia 8 months out of the year.
Dallas just had 70+ days of 100+ degree heat this summer, breaking an all-time record. Sounds like pure hell to me. Give me "Siberia" any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 06:20 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
There is this interesting phenomenon in Chicago, lots of immigrants end up there, but very few people from other parts of the country, excluding midwest/great lakes region.

I know many people that are transplants from Mississippi, western Tennessee, Alabama and Louisiana.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:24 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Dallas just had 70+ days of 100+ degree heat this summer, breaking an all-time record. Sounds like pure hell to me. Give me "Siberia" any day.

General Phil Sheridan once said that if he owned hell and Texas, he would live in hell and rent out Texas. He wasn't very fond of the heat and dust that permeated that state

Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williepotatoes View Post
General Phil Sheridan once said that if he owned hell and Texas, he would live in hell and rent out Texas.
Yeah, that's about the only funny thing I've heard of Little Phil having said. It sounds more like something Uncle Billy would have said, now he had a way with words.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez
There is this interesting phenomenon in Chicago, lots of immigrants end up there, but very few people from other parts of the country, excluding midwest/great lakes region.

I know many people that are transplants from Mississippi, western Tennessee, Alabama and Louisiana.
Yeah, I think that like anywhere in the country you'll find more people moving from within the region, but I know loads of people who have moved to Chicago from all over the country.

At work about half the people in our office grew up in Chicago or the Midwest. The other half is from all over - NJ, Georgia, Colorado, South Carolina, Connecticut, and Massachusetts are some that I can think of off the top of my head. We also have recent immigrants from Canada and Belarus. I moved here from Boston 18 years ago.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's about the only funny thing I've heard of Little Phil having said. It sounds more like something Uncle Billy would have said, now he had a way with words.
Yes Sheridan flopped with "The only good Indian is a dead Indian". Humor wasn't his strongpoint. In his defense, I gotta point out that he was a Catholic, and 19th century Catholics were not known for their comic tendencies.

Most of us weren't even allowed to chuckle until after Vatican II.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Yes Sheridan flopped with "The only good Indian is a dead Indian". Humor wasn't his strongpoint. In his defense, I gotta point out that he was a Catholic, and 19th century Catholics were not known for their comic tendencies.

Yeah, Sheridan was born on the boat on the way over from Ireland.

He was one Hell of a dedicated and hard driving soldier though; his energy and bloody minded determination was a shot in the arm to the lethargic Army of the Potomac. He was hoping Lee wouldn't surrender at Appomattox; he wanted to "smash em up", he was enjoying himself.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:

BTW, Phil Sheridan "lives" on, with a statue in front of the New York state capital in Albany..

Old 09-17-2011, 09:17 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
Quote:
Just look at the recent threads of people and where they are moving from.
You see Michigan, Texas, Florida , New York, California.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Just look at the recent threads of people and where they are moving from.
You see Michigan, Texas, Florida , New York, California.

Oh, then I don't know people from Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Louisiana? You must know a few yourself. I reckon they don't idle at CityData.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago