Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:25 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,518,426 times

Advertisements

lol @ being cold 8 months out of the year.... pretty sure it has hit 80 several times in recent days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 03:57 PM

422 posts, read 812,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
somewhere cold 8 months per year
If the coldest 8 months in Chicago are considered "cold" than New York City is "cold" about 7 months of the year, not a huge difference in the scheme of things.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Default Certainly it is a fair comparison.

The Midwest is the Midwest whether it is IL, OH, IL, IA, IN, MO, WI, MN, KS or OK and NE. Like it or not Chicago is the dominate Midwest city with its 5-star hotels, 5-star restaurants, 5 National sports teams, the tallest skyscrapers in America, miles of beachfront, the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buidlings in the world, Great Lake ports and tonage plus the busiest airport. There is no town anywhere in the Midwest that rivals any of the Big III; in fact I can't think on any single town in America that truly rivals any of them. .

Individuals who do not like the lovely 'lake effect' weather and four seasons ought not move to Chicago; they know not what they invite. Despite the Amana Colonies, the biggest truck stop in America and Iowa City, realistically Iowans are just as provincial and boring as everyone else who lives in the Midwest and works hard to provide for their families. It is the singular reason why the Midwest IS the breadbasket of America. .

Quote:
It's warmer in Des Moines. Obviously Chicago is so much bigger and it's not a fair comparison (although some in Des Moines probably think it is).

The midwest is all so boring to begin with, Chicago offers much more but it's not really that much "cooler" when compared to any big city on the coast. Besides the weather of course. The costs in Chicago, while still cheaper than even SF or Seattle, aren't worth it in my opinion to be somewhere cold 8 months per year with that many small town midwesterners living there.

You guys do got the Chicago Bearers though.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The Midwest is the Midwest whether it is IL, OH, IL, IA, IN, MO, WI, MN, KS or OK and NE. Like it or not Chicago is the dominate Midwest city with its 5-star hotels, 5-star restaurants, 5 National sports teams, the tallest skyscrapers in America, miles of beachfront, the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright buidlings in the world, Great Lake ports and tonage plus the busiest airport. There is no town anywhere in the Midwest that rivals any of the Big III; in fact I can't think on any single town in America that truly rivals any of them. .

Individuals who do not like the lovely 'lake effect' weather and four seasons ought not move to Chicago; they know not what they invite. Despite the Amana Colonies, the biggest truck stop in America and Iowa City, realistically Iowans are just as provincial and boring as everyone else who lives in the Midwest and works hard to provide for their families. It is the singular reason why the Midwest IS the breadbasket of America. .
Exactly, I grew up in Iowa City. Iowans are a very hard working, dedicated and nice crowd. They know who they are and where they are, they're proud of Iowa and don't try to play it off like it's something it's not.

Where is this coming from that Chicago is too cold....from someone from Des Moines? Spent 22 years in Iowa and 10 years in Chicago. Except for the lake effect in the spring if you're near the shoreline in the city - Des Moines and Chicago virtually have the exact same weather.

It can get a bit warmer in Des Moines during summer, and a bit colder in Des Moines during winter, but most people wouldn't notice a few degrees.

Des Moines compared to Chicago:

Jan: 32 - 31 (-1)
Feb: 38 - 36 (-2)
Mar:47 - 49 (+2)
Apr: 59 - 62 (+3)
May: 70 - 72 (+2)
Jun: 80 -82 (+2)
Jul: 84 - 86 (+2)
Aug: 83 - 84 (+1)
Sep: 76 - 76 (0)
Oct: 64 - 63 (-1)
Nov: 49 - 48 (-1)
Dec: 37 - 34 (-3)

They're virtually the same, although Des Moines is windier than Chicago.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
I was actually thinking of this thread last night and laughing. I walked into Sidetracks with friends and sat at a table, to then notice that Rosie was at the table next to us. Some people were walking up to get a picture of her, and she was actually extremely engaging and had no problems saying hi to people for sitting for a quick picture. For the most part though everyone took note of her, but left her alone to enjoy her drinks.

I do have to say, she's actually much better looking in person than I was expecting. She's attractive when you put her in real life and next to average Americans. I think on movies they tend to butch her up or make her a little uglier than normal.

Anyway, I think if anything her being in Chicago is trivial for almost everyone. "Oh, really? That's cool". I saw a random blurp in the paper, but haven't heard anyone actually mention it in conversation except my friend Jeff, who lives a block over from her.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I was actually thinking of this thread last night and laughing. I walked into Sidetracks with friends and sat at a table, to then notice that Rosie was at the table next to us. Some people were walking up to get a picture of her, and she was actually extremely engaging and had no problems saying hi to people for sitting for a quick picture. For the most part though everyone took note of her, but left her alone to enjoy her drinks.

I do have to say, she's actually much better looking in person than I was expecting. She's attractive when you put her in real life and next to average Americans. I think on movies they tend to butch her up or make her a little uglier than normal.

Anyway, I think if anything her being in Chicago is trivial for almost everyone. "Oh, really? That's cool". I saw a random blurp in the paper, but haven't heard anyone actually mention it in conversation except my friend Jeff, who lives a block over from her.
I tend to think that people who are on TV, typically look better in person than in front of the camera. It probably has to do with putting said person in real life in front of everyday people.

There was a girl from the food network living on my floor in my building in New York, and while she was cute on TV, I thought she was absolutely stunning when I would see her in person.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:33 AM

191 posts, read 361,066 times
Quote:
It's warmer in Des Moines. Obviously Chicago is so much bigger and it's not a fair comparison (although some in Des Moines probably think it is).

The midwest is all so boring to begin with, Chicago offers much more but it's not really that much "cooler" when compared to any big city on the coast. Besides the weather of course. The costs in Chicago, while still cheaper than even SF or Seattle, aren't worth it in my opinion to be somewhere cold 8 months per year with that many small town midwesterners living there.

You guys do got the Chicago Bearers though.
@ Bearers.

What exactly is so boring about the Midwest? Is it that we're not so Hollywood, Celeb obsessed like the East and West coasts?

Does 50 degree weather sound like murder to you? Did the snow hurt you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago