Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 02:13 PM

186 posts, read 1,118,584 times

Advertisements

Wow, I guess we need to change this forum into "Chicago Music Scene" instead of only Hip-Hop. It's good to hear that some people support the music that comes out of their city unlike most people who listen to the crap that comes out of Atlanta only...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
lol, well don't take me as being representative of the mainstream population when it comes to musical tastes. Hip hop of course is largely a music of the youth culture, and most of the youth today listen to what's on the radio, and of course the South is dominating the majority of the rap that's on the radio these days.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 6,418 times
If you are sick of the radio bull****, and want some real truly independent hip hop, check out WKB at [url=http://www.myspace.com/wekillbeats]MySpace.com - WKB album dropped - OP/Chi Ill - Indie / Experimental / Hip Hop - www.myspace.com/wekillbeats[/url] -worth your time i promise!!!!! If you are really feelin it we have a 22 song double disc album out and its yours FREE if you want one.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:13 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
I don't know if anyone here listens to it, but The Hip Hop Project on 88.7 is one of my favorite programs..and I'm even that into rap.
The Hip Hop Project | 88.7 FM WLUW CHICAGO

Old 11-19-2008, 01:21 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Oh man. Europe basically took house music and electronica in general, and RAN with it. I need to learn more about the Manchester influence in particular because I don't personally know too much about it. As far as Europe in general goes though, LOL, their influence on the genre is immense. The entire music culture there is way more DJ-based and less artist / star based than in the United States. The DJ's there ARE superstars (think of names such as Paul Oakenfold, Tiesto, Armand Van Helden). I was in France one time with my family and many of the radio stations in Paris, and even in small towns such as Lourdes (a Catholic pilgrimage town towards the southern end of France) had a lot of techno/house radio stations similar to our Energy 92.7 (or B96 when they play those dance mixes) at nights in Chicago. UK, Germany, etc. .... basically all the European nations have contributed to house music & electronica as we know it today. Techno actually started in Detroit, and House music started in Chicago....and yes Europe then took things to the next level. Actually......to take things back in time and really dig deeper, techno really did originate from a German band known as "Kraftwerk". These musical geniuses put out a record known as the "Trans-Europe Express". The record has influenced many artists in various musical genre's throughout the years. Check out the Wikipedia links on it:

Trans-Europe Express Wikipedia entry: Trans-Europe Express (album - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Kraftwerk's Wikipedia entry: Kraftwerk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube video:
YouTube - kraftwerk - trans europe express
I agree that Europe's influence on the trance music genre and the Electronic music scene in general is vast. Electronica fans owe alot to Europe for overall scene stability. But I'd disagree that the European spin on American electronica genre's such as House and Techno are more influential in today's scene than American deejays and producers. Europeans efforts to create the soulfull deep house sound that came from the days of disco, blues, and jazz comes out unemotional and ingenuine. And with techno, they can only try to reproduce that gritty American motor city grid iron sound that came from Detroit. European deejays and producers are known to come up with the best trance and ambient chillout stuff thats on the market. No doubt Europe is influential, but they don't get all of the credit, especially where Americans do it way better with more style. Just my 2 cents.

Regarding hip hop, I know that my favorite emcee Charlie 2na is from Chicago!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:51 PM

734 posts, read 1,080,460 times
if you want a great example of how kids got off the streets and into studios, started promoting and are now huge names in the music history let me tell you about them boys from the H

Paul Wall
Chamillionare
Slim Thug
Mike Jones
Lil Flip
Trae
Bun B and UGK
SUC
Rap-A-Lot records
ScarFace

The south supports itself by putting rappers on each others mixtapes just look at what retarded DJ Khaled has been able to do (he is oh so annoying!)

The next city that is up and coming.. DALLAS they got the current high school kids dancen to all their new music

Chicago is for the older adults... and the fact that Kanye just came out with "LOVE LOCKDOWN" didnt proves he cant avoid what the south has created(tpain with that machine sound out of FLORIDA)

Chicago cant run the rap game... its just not the South.

And New York has legends (Jay Z, NAS, P Diddy..) and LA is just the West West (even though its fading as of late)

Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
I've noticed that after the rise of the South, and even before that, Chicago hip-hop has always been overshadowed by New York, Los Angeles, or Atlanta one time or another until Kanye West stepped into the scene recently. Common of course is a living legend of Chicago. The best thing about Chicago Hip Hop is that it is fairly clean and is socially active...and it involves jazzy beats....Chicago hip hop seems to have it all, then why doesn't it get the exposure it deserves?
Easy, I think the Chi does put out a lot of good music, but the majority doesn't want good music, they want dumb music on good beats. I am guessing you are over the age of 25. Only a mature hip hop listener would want more good hip hop exposed, unfortunately dumbness is what sells, supported by idiots. Let not worry why good hip hop gets no exposure. Just fill your ipod/zune/psp/ with it and enjoy.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:19 PM

569 posts, read 1,819,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
Easy, I think the Chi does put out a lot of good music, but the majority doesn't want good music, they want dumb music on good beats. I am guessing you are over the age of 25. Only a mature hip hop listener would want more good hip hop exposed, unfortunately dumbness is what sells, supported by idiots. Let not worry why good hip hop gets no exposure. Just fill your ipod/zune/psp/ with it and enjoy.
I agree on this. Jurassic 5, The Roots, and A Tribe Called Quest are extremely talented but get little exposure. I guess solid lyrical ability, soulfull instrumental sampling and positive lyrics are not enough to get on the billboard top 100 nowadays.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
I agree on this. Jurassic 5, The Roots, and A Tribe Called Quest are extremely talented but get little exposure. I guess solid lyrical ability, soulfull instrumental sampling and positive lyrics are not enough to get on the billboard top 100 nowadays.
Of course not, but you mentioned some really good artist, and you have to have some level of maturity to dig acts like that. Heads like us have media players & XM radio. Technology is our friend. I know some heads hate what is on the radio and diss the Soulja boys and Lil Waynes, but to me that is wasted energy, if you don't like it, listen to what you like. If you like good hip hop, then put your ears in a position to hear good hip hop.

Rep Point Sharky!

Old 11-19-2008, 07:29 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkylittleton View Post
The good stuff is never on the 100. You just have to look for it. As a start..

Blackalicious

YouTube - Blackalicious - Shallow Days

One Be Lo

YouTube - One be lo- Deceptacons

Edan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P__LuA0vPLU

King Geedorah

YouTube - King Geedorah - Fastlane (feat. Biolante)

Madvillain

YouTube - Madvillain - Rhinestone Cowboy

Dalek

YouTube - Ever Somber

And plenty of stuff that was overlooked the first time around...

YouTube - InI - Mind Over Matter

YouTube - Pete Rock And InI - Step Up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgOWTM5R2DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wEw05-Ef5Q

Last edited by via chicago; 11-19-2008 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago