Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:44 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I tend to see that the higher up one is on the socioeconomic ladder, the more racially integrated things tend to be. In other words, I think that most yuppies/buppies/auppies [[auppies = asian yuppies lol]] hang out in the same places.

When we get to lower economic classes (such as working class blue collar individuals) things tend to be more racially divided as well.

There may be certain places that are more popular with buppies as opposed to yuppies (maybe because it is black-owned or whatever) but overall, a general professional environment should be fine!

This is pretty true in my experience. As I mentioned in my post that for some reason got deleted...I your stereotypical white dude, but I have black friends. People see color a lot less when they are in the same socio-economic bracket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 12:11 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Very true words being spoken here. One of my fave times is when people from completely different backgrounds (ie. white collar vs. blue collar) put all their socioeconomic and educational differences aside and shoot the breeze in the bar b/c they find commonality perhaps in some other viewpoint (ie. sports, random life experience, etc.). Won't see it all the time, but it's cool when it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
This is pretty true in my experience. As I mentioned in my post that for some reason got deleted...I your stereotypical white dude, but I have black friends. People see color a lot less when they are in the same socio-economic bracket.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:01 AM

207 posts, read 506,813 times
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I tend to see that the higher up one is on the socioeconomic ladder, the more racially integrated things tend to be. In other words, I think that most yuppies/buppies/auppies [[auppies = asian yuppies lol]] hang out in the same places.

When we get to lower economic classes (such as working class blue collar individuals) things tend to be more racially divided as well.

There may be certain places that are more popular with buppies as opposed to yuppies (maybe because it is black-owned or whatever) but overall, a general professional environment should be fine!
Well put my friend!!! And this is why I find it hard to take people who classify themselves as "buppies" serious.

Another thing is, African Americans are hippocritical, you want to be treated equally in all circumstances and not be classified by race but we make equal effort into separating and racially classifying ourselves....when we see fit. Why call yourself a "buppy" and exclude yourself from just being a "yuppy"....are you not young, urban, or professional like everyone else. But then if Caucasian Americans collectively began calling themselves Wuppies then its racist. I think its time for black people to stop being "black" and just learn to be people. We arent special, we arent different, lets focus on just being normal.

[

Old 09-24-2011, 01:56 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
i guess im too old to be considered as a buppie but i am a urbanite professional black male. i am so over the club scene long before moving to chicago so i dont have the answer to the op. however some interesting point have been brought up about name branding of demographics and most professionals dont see race so it doesnt matter.

Black professionals that i hang with have totally different lives than the white professionals that i hang with. thats why there are branding tendencies that exist. same things can be said about asians latinos and indians. i think thats the reason we have so many threads on best places for black professionals. whether we like it or not there is still alot of racism that we have to deal with regardless of what degree we have or how high our income is.

I am looking forward to the day when anyone of any race can go into any club, move into any neighborhood without concern of mistreatment.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:

Yeah that makes sense.
so where do the DINKS hang out these days.
never mind same place as the buppies and yuppies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: