Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:13 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Some people hate the cold. Chicago weather is depressing. Don't even have real summer there.
Some dont.
Amd we had a long ass summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 07:26 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
Quote:
I was kidding. I lived in Chicago 2 years. Obviously there is more going on there - I just couldn't justify the costs/taxes for the midwest. It didn't seem worth it.

When it gets to 80 there, even in summer, it does seem slightly noteworthy.

The weather patterns in Des Moines are more similar to Kansas City than to Chicago. You have cold days in fall, but also the potential for hot days. Same thing with spring.

It's been mid 80s all week here, and up to 90 heat index one day. I lived in Chicago and I know that wouldn't happen, and if it did, it would be a huge deal. Here it's not.

Winters aren't as cold as snowy, and there's an extra 40 minutes of sunlight in winter because of the time zone position compared to Chicago.
I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the taxes here at all, and I am not a fan of the winters here either. It just doesn't seem like winters in Des Moines would be that much different. At almost the same latitude, the main differences between the weather in Chicago and Des Moines would probably be related to Lake Michigan. So, we probably do get more snow, and don't get hot as much (as the lake will cool it down). However, I am also imagining that we don't get below zero as much as you either. Basically, less extremes, but overall temperatures don't seem too much different. Maybe the bigger diurnal cycle makes daytime warmer and nighttime colder too.

It does get a little cloudier and rainier as you go East, so you probably get a little more sun in Iowa. Also, with your weather patterns being more like Kansas City/Omaha, that probably means more ice storms by you as well. Also, more tornadoes/ severe weather.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:27 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,943 times
By the way, the prediction has been fulfilled... Yesterday at O'Hare

TEMPERATURE (F)
YESTERDAY
MAXIMUM 80 223 PM
MINIMUM 49 615 AM

Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJaye View Post
Also, with your weather patterns being more like Kansas City/Omaha, that probably means more ice storms by you as well.

I still really hope I can get out of KC before getting slammed with one of those inevitable ice storms. My SO grew up here and when he was in high school they had one so bad their power was out for days and days and days. They stayed warm by their gas fireplace and cooked all their meals on the propane grill on their porch -- I have neither of those things in my vintage apartment. I never worry about snow storms really because we live so close to a grocery store and a ton of restaurants (so my immediate beer and food needs would be taken care of), but if the restaurants were all closed? That would suuuuuck.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Today is officially perfect weather. I can't imagine any way it could be better.
It was perfect yesterday. Just gorgeous. I hope today is as nice out.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:04 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
It was perfect yesterday. Just gorgeous. I hope today is as nice out.
It's a perfect day again.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM

77 posts, read 171,744 times
80 degrees today. Chicago is such a cold, miserable place.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
I was kidding. I lived in Chicago 2 years. Obviously there is more going on there - I just couldn't justify the costs/taxes for the midwest. It didn't seem worth it.

When it gets to 80 there, even in summer, it does seem slightly noteworthy.

The weather patterns in Des Moines are more similar to Kansas City than to Chicago. You have cold days in fall, but also the potential for hot days. Same thing with spring.

It's been mid 80s all week here, and up to 90 heat index one day. I lived in Chicago and I know that wouldn't happen, and if it did, it would be a huge deal. Here it's not.

Winters aren't as cold as snowy, and there's an extra 40 minutes of sunlight in winter because of the time zone position compared to Chicago.
What?? It averages 80's in Chicago for about 3 months solid. If it gets up above 90 degrees it might be noted, since it tends to happen only around 17 times a year. 80 degrees though? It's solid June 15th through September 15th.

Hell, it was 80 here yesterday, 80 here today and suppose to be 80 again the next few days. It almost always gets up to 80 in October.

The next 7 days:

Thursday: 80 degrees
Friday: 83 degrees
Saturday: 82 degrees
Sunday: 79 degrees
Monday: 77 degrees
Tuesday: 77 degrees
Wednesday: 74 degrees

That's certainly higher than average, but it's not UNUSUAL. It's just a warm spell. Happens every year. During the 2008 elections we were still in the mid 70's during the first week of November.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:23 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Very good point my friend. This is why we better enjoy this while it lasts. A lot of us are gonna be shivering and buried in snow within 2-3 months lol. The mere thought of it makes me cold lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What?? It averages 80's in Chicago for about 3 months solid. If it gets up above 90 degrees it might be noted, since it tends to happen only around 17 times a year. 80 degrees though? It's solid June 15th through September 15th.

Hell, it was 80 here yesterday, 80 here today and suppose to be 80 again the next few days. It almost always gets up to 80 in October.

The next 7 days:

Thursday: 80 degrees
Friday: 83 degrees
Saturday: 82 degrees
Sunday: 79 degrees
Monday: 77 degrees
Tuesday: 77 degrees
Wednesday: 74 degrees

That's certainly higher than average, but it's not UNUSUAL. It's just a warm spell. Happens every year. During the 2008 elections we were still in the mid 70's during the first week of November.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faintlyamused View Post
80 degrees today. Chicago is such a cold, miserable place.
LOL- This past week certainly made up for the rain the week before, and what a gorgeous week it's been.

This fall is shaping up to be a very nice one.

Does any one else think there seems to be a bit more color in the foilage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: