Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM

202 posts, read 762,915 times

Advertisements

Seriously, most neighborhoods I can figure out after a few hours of exploring. Not so here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 05:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Watch a Dennis Lehane-based film like Mystic River or Gone Baby Gone. Had they been set in Chicago instead of Boston, they'd have been set and filmed in Canaryville. That's the most concise way I can think of to explain it -- pretty much the last true remaining "Irish roughneck" part of the city. Some of the Beverly/Mt. Greenwood kids might think they're still hard, but they wouldn't last long in Canaryville.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
So the Bridgeport threads reminded me of Canaryville - the last time I drove through the area it's defined as it looked more industrial than residential, exactly how big is it population-wise, really, and who the heck actually lives there?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Yeah, Canaryville really is pretty small and narrow. Its rough boundaries are Pershing to the north, 49th to the south (or 51st according to some), the railroad tracks to the east, and Halsted to the west. I'd guess the population of Canaryville is roughly 5,000.

West of Halsted is the old stockyard grounds. That got converted into an industrial park a few decades ago. So yeah, if you drive down Halsted, you're not going to see much that looks like a residential area. You have to get onto the side streets just to the east.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:32 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
49th to the south (or 51st according to some)
For real? The demographics change dramatically south of 47th though. There are very very few blacks north of 47th but they become the largest demographic south of it.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
For real? The demographics change dramatically south of 47th though. There are very very few blacks north of 47th but they become the largest demographic south of it.
I don't know if that's the case between Halsted and the tracks -- maybe it is. It does seem to change pretty quickly south of 47th, but I never really did a black v. white head count around there. I'll have to go take a closer look some day. Obviously the caucasian count drops to zero once you cross 51st.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 AM

and has anyone else discovered that this area is almost absent on the web? as in, community association pages, etc.? I'm wondering if Hell's Kitchen might be a good comparison, maybe this neighborhood is really being reduced to just legend and lore. where would these kids be going to school? private/Catholic schools, I assume? In 4 years at Iggy I heard a lot of crazy talk coming from the south side Irish kids regarding segregation and so on, but Canaryville never was mentioned.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM

^^That's in part because the people are very insular and working class. I'm not sure what parish the neighborhood attends but they most likely go to a parochial school out of the parish or whatever public school serves Armour Square and Bridgeport.

I read a photo essay about the neighborhood a while back and gather that it is still a tightly laced community. If you are interested in finding out more about the residents your best bet may be to plant your butt in a stool at one of the local watering holes (ETA: TNT Pizza and Kelly's come to mind) and conversing with the regulars.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
^^That's in part because the people are very insular and working class. I'm not sure what parish the neighborhood attends but they most likely go to a parochial school out of the parish or whatever public school serves Armour Square and Bridgeport.

I read a photo essay about the neighborhood a while back and gather that it is still a tightly laced community. If you are interested in finding out more about the residents your best bet may be to plant your butt in a stool at one of the local watering holes and conversing with the regulars.
I totally agree it's clearly working class and tightly knit, what I was getting at is that when a good sampling of long-time Irish Chicagoans don't even mention a neighborhood like this in passing, I think it may be on its way out in terms of being "Irish,", as in, the kids leave and don't come back.

Look at this:

2 shot in Canaryville neighborhood - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/2-shot-in-canaryville-neighborhood.html - broken link)

And see the last names of the people who are posting comments. Not exactly a buncha Micks.

In terms of a general view, this is probably as good as any:

News in Canaryville | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/locations/neighborhoods/canaryville/overview/ - broken link)

Seems like maybe people these days are more prone to call part of the area Fuller Park?

In terms of hitting the local bars, while that does actually sound fun, it's a bit too voyeuristic for my tastes given I'm pretty far away. plus, I have plenty of old-timers/old taverns within a few blocks who can take you back 40+ years.

this is one of the most hilarious around - the first time I went the guy totally gave me the 3rd degree, studying my driver's license, asking where I had moved to the neighborhood from, etc. I'd go more often, but as the people below comment, it's divey in every sense of the word, including basic cleanliness (and I have pretty low expectations in that regard!).

Ray's Tap - Avondale - Chicago, IL

Old 10-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I totally agree it's clearly working class and tightly knit, what I was getting at is that when a good sampling of long-time Irish Chicagoans don't even mention a neighborhood like this in passing, I think it may be on its way out in terms of being "Irish,", as in, the kids leave and don't come back.

Look at this:

2 shot in Canaryville neighborhood - Chicago Breaking News (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/08/2-shot-in-canaryville-neighborhood.html - broken link)

And see the last names of the people who are posting comments. Not exactly a buncha Micks.

In terms of a general view, this is probably as good as any:

News in Canaryville | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/locations/neighborhoods/canaryville/overview/ - broken link)

Seems like maybe people these days are more prone to call part of the area Fuller Park?

In terms of hitting the local bars, while that does actually sound fun, it's a bit too voyeuristic for my tastes given I'm pretty far away. plus, I have plenty of old-timers/old taverns within a few blocks who can take you back 40+ years.

this is one of the most hilarious around - the first time I went the guy totally gave me the 3rd degree, studying my driver's license, asking where I had moved to the neighborhood from, etc. I'd go more often, but as the people below comment, it's divey in every sense of the word, including basic cleanliness (and I have pretty low expectations in that regard!).

Ray's Tap - Avondale - Chicago, IL
Oh man, do I love a good dive! In regards to Fuller Park, I'd be careful not to mention that theory within earshot of a Canaryville local (fat chance anyway, right?). To get to Canaryville from Fuller Park you have to drive underneath the train tracks at 45th. I believe people around there call that the "Berlin wall". If you ever drive it, you'll understand why immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago