Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM

438 posts, read 1,699,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
How drunk were you? No, I'm kidding. Not to highjack this thread, but this is the second time this silliness about IL stealing -- err, I mean temporarily confiscating your license has come up, and this slays me. So apparently the ticket serves as your license until you can get it back, but you still have to go without a proper photo ID. People need photo IDs, yes? I mean, how do you buy liquor in the meantime?
It's always been like this in Illinois...that is what they do, they take your license if you get a ticket most of the time. It's best to get a state ID as well as a license in case it happens to you so at least you have a back up ID. It sucks, but it ain't gonna change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
In Michigan we don't have fees on our tickets either. We're supposed to call the court listed, get the amount and then mail it in.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM

928 posts, read 1,713,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexm23 View Post
Maybe as an improvement the cop could sketch a picture of your face on every ticket they give you.
Ha! Thankfully, that's why god invented passports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
It's always been like this in Illinois...that is what they do, they take your license if you get a ticket most of the time. It's best to get a state ID as well as a license in case it happens to you so at least you have a back up ID. It sucks, but it ain't gonna change
Yeesh, two IDs. Obtaining a second ID for this purpose seems like a hassle, but an even bigger hassle would be going without alcohol until you get your license back!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
I have a state ID.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:21 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Im at the clerk right now.
Long lines :/

But there is the option of driving school, court, or paying.

I wanna pay.
Couldn't mail anything cus there was no fee amount.

But I'm here now.
Lets see what they say
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
120 ticket
I hope you didn't pay already. If you plead guilty and pay without going to traffic school, it gets reported on your driving abstract -- and that's what insurance companies use (among other data) to set your rates. If you paid, now there's a good chance your insurance rates will go up. If you haven't paid yet, go the traffic school route so it stays off your driving abstract.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:39 PM

ughghghhgghhgghhhghghghghgh

Old 09-28-2011, 12:54 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
How drunk were you? No, I'm kidding. Not to highjack this thread, but this is the second time this silliness about IL stealing -- err, I mean temporarily confiscating your license has come up, and this slays me. So apparently the ticket serves as your license until you can get it back, but you still have to go without a proper photo ID. People need photo IDs, yes? I mean, how do you buy liquor in the meantime?
You get a state ID card, before you get a ticket... It is good idea to have a separate form of ID, kept at home or in a safe deposit box for reasons like this. Imagine if you had a plane flight scheduled - that ticket won't get you on the plane!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:56 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
When I first heard that they do this in Illinois I literally didn't believe the person.

Does anyone know if there are any other states that do this or is it just one of those lovely IL quirks?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM

Guess ill go to the class. Only 4r hrs and like 145$

I hate stupid insurance.
My sister pays less then me simply cus she's a female and she' younger.

And it's not even the ticket that bothers me so much it's the fact that I got three this month.

One I went through a police checkpoint they had setup, and I got fined 75$ for having a small crack on my windshield. I got it fixed for 150.
I then got a ticket for not having a city sticker.

Now I got this.

And all of this I got because I was being a nice guy and doing favors for others. Not driving around for my own reasons.
There is no God.
And if there is, he sucks and might as well be satan.

AHHHHHHHHHH

Old 09-29-2011, 12:53 AM

203 posts, read 386,260 times
Traffic school in Cook County isn't that bad. The course is only four hours long. It can be taken over the Internet at your own convenience if you prefer. I actually found it useful. And yes, successfully completing traffic school avoids the ticket going on your record.

Passports and passport cards are good backup ID's in this situation. A passport card looks like a driver's license, but it's really a passport which can only be used at land and sea borders. It's only been offered for a couple years, so many people haven't heard of it yet. It's also much cheaper than a full passport in case money is an issue.

$120 is the base cost of a ticket nowadays. It used to be $75, but the amount went up recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago