Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm glad you enjoy the traditional was well as the new things. I drink a new fangled beer myself once in awhile.
I actually prefer traditional to new things.

I drink more wine than beer. And real old school wine, not blueberry juice with oak flavors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
From what I gather, our craft beer scene isn't as nice as Portland's.

But I have to echo the list. Metropolitan (because I live 2 blocks away, woot!) and Finch are awesome.

As far as Goose Island goes, the standard issue stuff isn't even special anymore. You have to look for the other stuff (like Sophie, Matilda) that stuff is good.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I'm glad you enjoy the traditional was well as the new things. I drink a new fangled beer myself once in awhile.
To be honest I look at the microbrews as being traditional and the mass produced corn beers to be new fangled.

Some microbrews (Ninkasi, Midas's Touch) are made using the same methods, ingredients and recipes that were used 4,000 years ago. Doesn't gt more traditional than that!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:08 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
Some microbrews (Ninkasi, Midas's Touch) are made using the same methods, ingredients and recipes that were used 4,000 years ago. Doesn't gt more traditional than that!

People made porridge before they made bread and probably made beer before bread too, from porridge. Some historians think that when women got men to give up their hunter ways to settle down and farm what men got in return for their freedom to roam was a steady supply of yocky-dock.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:42 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCzech-in-Hockey View Post
I've got another question for all the knowledgable Chi-town beer fanatics out there: What are the best local brews? Again, I just moved here from Seattle, where I must say there is a hell of a great beer selection, but I have a feeling this city can beat it if I know where to look.

Opinions please!
It's not a Chicago beer, but if you haven't tried it, I really love Dragon's Milk Ale which is made by New Holland Brewery in Michigan (so it's regional). It's a dark stout, but it's not bitter. It's one of the beers I have on tap at home currently. It's also 10% abv, so if you're going to drink it, pace yourself.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
It's not a Chicago beer, but if you haven't tried it, I really love Dragon's Milk Ale which is made by New Holland Brewery in Michigan (so it's regional). It's a dark stout, but it's not bitter. It's one of the beers I have on tap at home currently. It's also 10% abv, so if you're going to drink it, pace yourself.
I *LOVE* New Holland Brewery. My folks have a cottage up that way, so I make the homage to the New Holland motherland at least 4 times a year. In my opinion, it is one of the best all around craft beers out there. I'm not alone in thinking this - the guys at beer advocate have plenty of high marks for the tasty and ambitious brews they make.

Dragon's Milk is wicked. To me, it's a beer you sit down and drink while pondering life. Or maybe sitting beside a fire in your purple velour smoking jacket.

Right now, NHB has their seasonal out - Ichabod Pumpkin Ale. It's absolutely delicious and a real treat.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:50 AM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
I really like Goose Island's 312 and I'm not generally a fan of wheat beers.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:51 PM

12 posts, read 13,626 times
Great suggestions! I have tried the Demolition already and liked that one. On to the others now!

Old 10-01-2011, 02:52 PM

I agree that the best ones I've had have been Belgian or Belgian style as well. So much flavor and not that over-hoppy taste you get in many others.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:57 PM

Portland and Seattle have some amazing local brews... It is going to be tough to beat. Oddly though, one of the best American beers I've had lately came out of New York. It seems the east coasters are starting to adopt a more Belgian style with smoother finishes than the west coast. Many good west coast beers are similar in that they tend to be very hoppy and dominant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago