Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:49 PM

13 posts, read 128,387 times

Advertisements

Hyde Park is pretty, but not very convenient without a car. Doesn't have great transit connections, and doesn't have a great grocery store situation, with shut-down co-ops and such (don't ask). Evanston would feel more like Chicago and more urban than Hyde Park.

If you want total convenience on foot and with transit though, I'd vote for Lakeview, Lincoln Park or Gold Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:22 AM

61 posts, read 225,533 times
I see.... but can I find a decent Apartment for like $1000???

Old 08-28-2007, 01:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Gold Coast? Not likely. Lincoln Park and Lakeview? Maybe if you shop very, very patiently. ("Decent" being the key word here.) In that price range, I'd look in Lincoln Square.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Well it all depends on how well I'll get paid out there.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:35 PM

13 posts, read 128,387 times
I think Drover is exaggerating about Lakeview. Gold Coast and Lincoln Park may be a little more difficult in that range, but probably still doable. It does depend on what you mean by decent though -- how big and how nice? I moved to Chicago from Maryland and was totally shocked at how cheap it was here compared to there. I assume coming from New York you don't mind smaller. When I moved to Lakeview five years ago I got a very nice rehabbed convertible studio two blocks from the train and two blocks from the grocery store for $675. Then I shared a two-bedroom with a roommate - that was about $1,100. Two years ago I was in a nice one-bedroom on a great street for $875. Now I own. You'll find cheaper places east of Clark St. West of there it isn't quite as dense and there aren't as many smaller places. Broadway is a really great street, though a couple blocks further from the trains.

If you want a recently-rehabbed two-bedroom, then yes, you might try Lincoln Square.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Except he's not coming from Manhattan; he's coming from the Bronx -- North Bronx is my guess based on a prior description of his neighborhood. That's why I'm trying to steer him away from areas with small apartments.

It also bears mentioning that there has been a pretty sudden demand for rental units now that the credit/real estate market has cooled way off. Rents are going up again.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
I moved from Wakefield in the Bronx to Hyde Park. Hyde Park is better. I spent about three years in the neighborhood with no car and really was not inconvenienced by the lack thereof. Actually, its a great place to ride a bike and I've often biked down the lake from downtown to Hyde Park. It has some of the best transportation to the downtown where you can get a seat and still be in the loop in half an hour, on the express bus, the commuter train or even the el. The diversity is amazing: Two temples, two mosques, two Catholic churches, about five Protestant churches and a Mormon church. Take your pick.

There's the 57th street art fair, the book fair and a festival just about every week in Washington Park. Lotsa museums, too. It is also, after Rogers Park, one of the few places in Chicago where you can live cheaply and near the lake. Lotsa restaurants but only from the cheap to mid-priced. There is space to park and no neighborhood permit parking, if you do have a car. The public and private schools are superior.

Hyde Park is on the south side as much as Riverdale is in the Bronx. At least in my opinion.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 PM

229 posts, read 170,477 times
I grew up on the edge of Hyde Park on the South Side. It is hyped as the 'model' integrated neighborhood - there is a distince brand of black elitism there. Lincoln Park is kind of the other, white elitism on the North side. I wouldn't live in either place.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:52 PM

I am going to Chitown on the first weekend in November... just to check out the different areas so I can focus on apartment hunting.... For those of you who have been helping me out on here.....DRINKS ARE ON ME!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago