Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 PM

1,343 posts, read 1,372,421 times

Advertisements

I have heard that the walls at the Windermere in Hyde Park are sound-proofed.

Windermere House apartments in Chicago's Hyde Park - YouTube

It would be an easy commute to downtown on the CTA (bus) or Metra, and there are LOTS of little restaurants and bookstores around Hyde Park to visit. But it's not a social scene at all, really, and not "trendy." But you might consider it - very close to the Lake and convenient to downtown, with the University of Chicago as the neighborhood's anchor. Lots of people really like the lifestyle in Hyde Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 25,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1963 View Post
I have heard that the walls at the Windermere in Hyde Park are sound-proofed.

It would be an easy commute to downtown on the CTA (bus) or Metra, and there are LOTS of little restaurants and bookstores around Hyde Park to visit. But it's not a social scene at all, really, and not "trendy." But you might consider it - very close to the Lake and convenient to downtown, with the University of Chicago as the neighborhood's anchor. Lots of people really like the lifestyle in Hyde Park.
Awesome! Thanks so much!! I will check it out

Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't have a subwoofer. But I have a pair of loudspeakers that each has its own 12-inch woofer. Still gonna let me move in?

There's nothing special about a subwoofer that makes it any more or less irritating than any other capable sound system. I promise my non-subwoofer-equipped sound system with two 12-inch woofers is even more capable of annoying neighbors than your standard single 10" or 12" subwoofer setup. Any sound system worth bothering with is going to be capable of wall-shaking bass even if you rarely listen to it at high volume.
Oh absolutely; I don't disagree. My response was at least 65% facetious. Our system could certainly upset many a neighbor. I just had a horrible experience with a neighbor who was obsessed with keeping his bass extremely high all the time. Even if he was quietly listening to television or playing a video game in his apartment, his bass level was set so obnoxiously high that it would shake my apartment. After a few months, I was genuinely worried I was going to snap on the guy.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm103 View Post
OK.. this got off topic. I get it - Loud noise is annoying and nobody should be expected to roll with my soundtrack at any time if that's not what they want to do. Point taken and thanks for the input... I will look for more modern buildings - that's basically what I got out of the related posts.

So what I have gathered so far is that the South loop is where I can get more for my money and there tends to be an upswing in new developments in that area. Also, I can totally get by anywhere in the immediate area with just public transportation so I don't need to hesitate scrapping the car (I will not be taking weekend hiking trips)... kind of has me wondering about dating without a car though??? Interesting dynamic I suppose.

Sounds like I need to carefully consider who is my internet provider too.

Anyone have anything new to add or want to recommend a place that you can see me being happy as can be in?? jk

Thanks all!!
yeah sorry that got so off topic. All good. If your south loop apartment has easy access to the red line, you'll be set, as you'll likely find yourself spending plenty of time on the north side no matter where you live.

As far as dating, I think you'll find that it's more common to meet at your location since often folks are coming from opposite sides of the city. Or you could always just cab it (or take the el to the girl's place and then get a cab to save money and face at the same time.)

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM

15 posts, read 32,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
yeah sorry that got so off topic. All good. If your south loop apartment has easy access to the red line, you'll be set, as you'll likely find yourself spending plenty of time on the north side no matter where you live.

As far as dating, I think you'll find that it's more common to meet at your location since often folks are coming from opposite sides of the city. Or you could always just cab it (or take the el to the girl's place and then get a cab to save money and face at the same time.)

I would second the south loop choice. The other thing worth mentioning is that, if you are a runner or just like to be outside, South Loop is truly outstanding because of its proximity to museum campus/Northerly island. The aformentioned Hyde Park is also great if you like to be outside.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,776 times
Belmont or Fullerton (brown or red line) is a nice area and commute downtown will not bee longer than 30 min, given you are close to the station. You may also conside some areas to the west from downtown (some call them "west loop") . there are a lot of modern lofts there. and ALSO you should consider some areas from where you can commute by bus. May be real nice and fast. In many areas busses go better then trains, plus you can track them. A lot of major streets have bus routes.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:55 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times
[quote=BuckMulligan;21269752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post

Ah yes, the parlay! I agree, that is the gold standard of strategies. My problem is that I work from home and Comcast is not reliable enough. I'd like to start a thread about it but I feel like its going to draw a bunch of stealth marketers.
I work from home a day or two a week and havent had any issues. That includes me using citrix and plugging in a VOIP phone to my modem

Old 10-13-2011, 09:16 PM

15 posts, read 32,784 times
[quote=long101;21277090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMulligan View Post

I work from home a day or two a week and havent had any issues. That includes me using citrix and plugging in a VOIP phone to my modem

I will tell you this: I have the tech skills of your average 90 year old, so I'm more than willing to believe its my own incompetence. In fact, it would comfort me, because my incompetence is something I can at least control. I'm also willing to belive its because I have a Dell. Some Dells have capacitors that melt like velveta on a summer day. It is possible that I have such a model. The thing is, every time I call comcast, they tell me (from Bangalore, usually) that it's a local issue, thats why I was keen on the wireless. The problem is that the internet times out just long enough to break the VPN connection. If not on the connection, it probably would not even be very noticable. It will do this for a period of hours then mysteriously return to normal.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,054 times
I live in a vintage building (so no central a/c of course) built in the twenties. The place is built really solid and the only time I ever hear my neighbors is once in awhile out in the hall. Don't completely rule vintage buildings out, you'd be surprised at the quality of many of them!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,413,080 times
I definitely agree that a vintage building or a concrete loft is probably best. I'm still skeptical about the noise. One alternative I can think of offhand is a place I'm going to name (hopefully this isn't viewed as some solicitation).

Music Zone near 16th and Western is a pretty cheap studio with a ton of rooms bands use for practice in an old warehouse. I mention it because it is cheap--$375 per month for pretty big rooms (around 20x20) that are really set up for full 5 piece bands w/ enough room for sofas and a mini fridge/hang out corner. The building is open 24/7. My cousin is pretty happy with his band's set up there. The area is relatively safe.

Once you get here and make a few like-minded friends, it may make sense to go in together with a couple of guys. $125 per person a month would save you a lot of hassle. 7 min walk to pink line + good access t the S. Loop if that's where you end up living. Side bonus of awesome Mexican food in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago