Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM

5 posts, read 6,890 times

Advertisements

Hi--New to Chicago and looking to purchase or rent a single family home. I'd like to be close to public transit and downtown, but also get some land and a suburban feel (e.g., attached garages). I drove through Sauganash/Forest Glen/Edgebrook, and really liked the feel of the area. Most of the online reviews of the area are very good. How do the schools there measure up to the nearby suburban districts (i.e., Lincolnwood, Park Ridge)? Again, the online reports seem positive, but was wondering if anyone living in the area had some insights. I don't have private school tuition in my budget...

More importantly, are there any other neighborhoods in Chicago that are similar (closer into downtown would be even better)? I'm just starting my search, and want to keep all my options open. Price range is between 650K and 750K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 11:11 PM

439 posts, read 954,174 times
Hmm, Ravenswood Manor, Norwood Park, Edison Park, Hollywood Park, Arcadia Terrace, Budlong Woods, parts of West Rogers Park... If you plan to commute into downtown ideally you'll want to live within walking distance of a Metra or L station and a lot of these neighborhoods aren't all that close to any rail transit meaning you'll have to first take a bus or drive to a train station meaning some suburbs may offer you a quicker commute time wise than some city neighborhoods.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:46 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Higher ranking City of Chicago employee like senior police sergeants and fire lieutenants make up a big part of the residents in those areas -- they have the job stability / pay to easily drive to work. The distance from the Loop means that even Metra service is not all that great an option for commuters.

The bottomline on "value" is such that most folks that do not need to live inside the City to comply with employee residence rules get a nicer house /lot and guaranteed access to solid schools like Maine South by purchasing a home in Park Ridge.

The big IF as far as purchasing in the price range the OP suggests comes down to odds of younger City workers asking for repeal of residency rules. Suppose Rahm uses that as a sop to make up for rollbacks in city salaries and benefits. That would cause prices to tank... No immediate threat of that on the horizon, but if you need to buy NOW Park Ridge just makes for a LOT simpler set of variables.

Finally if you are "new to the area" I would be reluctant to buy in an area so dense with City workers. Most are good people, but they tend to have tight circle of friends -- cops stick with cops, firefighters stick with firefighters, even electricians and water deptmert employees have social ties with co-workers. Might be tough to adapt...

Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Sauganash and Edgebrook are really nice areas. Contrary to what another poster has said, the vast majority of people who live there are professionals, not city workers. In fact, I know lots of people who live in that area, not a single one works for the City. The schools are very very good and you have access to metra to get downtown.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sauganash and Edgebrook are really nice areas. Contrary to what another poster has said, the vast majority of people who live there are professionals, not city workers. In fact, I know lots of people who live in that area, not a single one works for the City. The schools are very very good and you have access to metra to get downtown.

Also that that 25 minutes Metra commute is brutal!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:40 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcho View Post

Also that that 25 minutes Metra commute is brutal!
Right, one of the worst commutes in the Chicago area....

BTW, to the OP, you will find a beautiful home in that price range in those areas.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:03 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,254,758 times
Plus, the Edgebrook library is really nice.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:39 AM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Sauganash/Edgebrook is outstanding.

Its very family and community oriented, and every I know who lives there is friendly. You have nice tudor style homes there and close to the Forest Preserve.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
What are the high school options?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:14 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
I believe all of Forest Glen is inside the Taft HS attendance area.

http://iirc.niu.edu/School.asp?schoolID=150162990250043 (broken link)

It does not compare well with neighboring Maine South
http://iirc.niu.edu/School.asp?schoolID=050162070170003 (broken link)

If you do not mind a suburban style commute, with a drive to the Metra service then the Milwaukee District North is similar to service on the UP-NW out of Park Ridge, a few more express trains out of ark Ridge seem to make for easier seating, not a big deal in my book, but for those who sing the praises of CTA buses / the all night /off rush hour frequency of El service the closer in city neighborhoods win out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago